My mom's computer is very slow

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Noctosphere, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    so yeah. My mom's computer is very slow.
    it was pretty fast before, by before i mean years ago. but now, we can't do a lot with it.
    for example, when we bought it back in 2008, we were able to play games normaly.
    in 2010, I was able to play starcraft 2 around 30 fps I think (when there was a lot of effect,l I think I droped around 5fps)
    Now, my mom is having trouble to open her mail in her outlook account. It takes like minutes just to log in. Sometime, we have to refresh the page while it is loading, so it can finally loads normally.

Here are its specs :

CPU : Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 1.80GHz
    RAM : 2GB
    HDD : 280GB
    GPU : some integrated intel gpu

Cause to not take in consideration : Virus, my mom don't make any download, and the few she download is safe (professional documentation, music from youtube, etc)

Personally, I think that windows got sooo many update through the time, that the RAM can't support it AND open software anymore, 2GB isn't enough.
    Tell me if I'm wrong, and tell me what should I do with this computer to make it faster again.
    thanks

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Clean install to Windows 10, it works fantastically to revive old PCs.

3. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    read again ;)
    it's windows vista, not 7, no free install

4. aaronz77

aaronz77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2011
    United States
    USA
    I'm betting a few dollars at a used computer parts store for 2 x 2Gb sticks of RAM + Windows 10 (Or Windows 7 If you can get a good deal) Clean install will VASTLY improve things in my experience.

5. KingpinSlim

KingpinSlim Newbie

Just re-install windows.

6. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    Like it was said above: Just do a full clean install.

7. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    You can always just get around windows activation. If you don't like that, you can get a copy of Windows 7 really cheap and use that to upgrade. Anyway, clean installing will help no matter what version of Windows.

8. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Flash a Windows 10 x86 ISO to a USB. Upgrade from there.

Last edited by dpad_5678, Jun 5, 2016
  9. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    Delete System32

10. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Leaving it alone overnight just to defrag the HDD and run a virus scan couldn't hurt, even if you insist it's not some sort of malware. Also, web pages, especially with ads, seem to consume more RAM now than ever, unless it's just browsers assuming people have more memory. Tabbed browsing as a standard doesn't help much either. Close web browsers when not in use or use some sort of memory-clearing plugin. I swear, every time I try and fix something with my mom's laptop she's got 50+ tabs across two or three Windows, and even with 4GB of RAM it's impossible to do anything.

A clean install of Windows would clear out some accumulated junk; I'd also check which programs are loading at startup or sometime in the background that don't need to be.

That computer's probably at least 7-8 years old, yeah? The HDD could be failing or wearing out too.

Frankly this sounds more like a connection issue.

TotalInsanity4 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  11. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    There is one thing; migrate to a light linux distro. Surely, the computer should be able to handle it well enough at it is.
    You can also pick the whole CPU apart, clean all the components; dust and dirt restrict air flow leading to thermal throttling.

Lastly, get her a new PC. There are pretty good inexpensive options available now. Have a look at the Intel NUC line up or other mini PCs/nettops.

lampdemon and Tomato Hentai like this.
  12. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    just get a 128GB ssd

13. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
    Try using the Advanced System Care by IOBit.It works well.Just google the Advanced System Care.Its Free

14. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I would upgrade the ram to the max the board can support, it is probably 8GB but it can be 4GB depending on the motherboard
    I would upgrade to Windows 7 as Vista was fine back in the RTM days but all the updates have slowed it down over the years
    change out the HDD for a modern one (1 TB would be fine)
    alternate: change the HDD for an SSD (you will want to upgrade Windows to at least Windows 7 to support TRIM)

Linux would help but some people will refuse to try something new and problems will result from trying to run Windows executables on Linux and having them not run among other things.

Last edited by driverdis, Jun 5, 2016
  15. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Try replacing the HDD with an SSD or SSHD, adding another stick of RAM and upgrading to Windows 10.

16. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    From the OP's posts I'd imagine he's not that technologically inclined, and his mom almost certainly isn't, so that might not be the best method. I've had my dad yell at me because I deleted the Internet Explorer shortcut on the desktop, even though it was on the taskbar and in the start menu. My mom thought that meant I had deleted internet access to the computer... old people, srsly.

17. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    dayum

18. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I had a similar experience, I turned off the tap to click on the touchpad of a customer's laptop (I do IT on the side for people) and got a call hours later as they could not launch anything.
    I actually got yelled at by the guy's wife as she was mad at me for changing it. (or would she rather I messed up something by moving a critical folder to the wrong place without knowing because of tap to click and the dragging function.)

19. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Was about to recommend this ^^ You'd be surprised how much an SSD can help speed stuff up. Also, see if you can't get another 2GB of RAM

20. Nyap

Nyap HTML Noob

Banned
    Jan 13, 2016
    That Chaos Site