Hacking DEAD My MicroSD

RetroGamer732

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was trying to load MK8D mods with LayeredFS, console crashed, and my microSD wouldn't be recognized by any device. Beware, that there are risks to using this stuff, and I would HIGHLY recommend waiting for the stable build of LayeredFS. Wait for a stable release, I'm sure you don't want to lose your 128GB Card.

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
Was trying to load MK8D mods with LayeredFS, console crashed, and my microSD wouldn't be recognized by any device. Beware, that there are risks to using this stuff, and I would HIGHLY recommend waiting for the stable build of LayeredFS. Wait for a stable release, I'm sure you don't want to lose your 128GB Card.
tried partition software?

Doneo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you describe your error? Does your OS report anything, size, unrecognised device etc? Im sure a recovery is a real possibility.

Also what was your method for file transfer, functionality wise a Micro SD card does have a limit of how many times it can be inserted and released when used with a spring system. However I've never really heard of someone hitting the threshold. Think degradation to physical parts by the repeated wear and tear of friction. Im spitballing here, but there maybe a course of recovering the card because the aforementioned scenario is so niche.

RetroGamer732

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to ask. Did you try Linux?
(Becuase I destroyed one of my flash drives. It wouldn't show up in windows, but simple GParted partitioning repaired it.)
No, I may give it a try, but I've never used Linux

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

tried partition software?
Yes, on Windows, gives me an error saying something went wrong, and nothing happened.

RetroGamer732

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you describe your error? Does your OS report anything, size, unrecognised device etc? Im sure a recovery is a real possibility.

Also what was your method for file transfer, functionality wise a Micro SD card does have a limit of how many times it can be inserted and released when used with a spring system. However I've never really heard of someone hitting the threshold. Think degradation to physical parts by the repeated wear and tear of friction. Im spitballing here, but there maybe a course of recovering the card because the aforementioned scenario is so niche.
It happened directly after a crash trying to load a mod, as for the error code, i think it ended in 3101, but I can't remember, I thought it had something to do with loading mods. I will try gparted and see what happens

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to use linux or any of that crap. Just download HDDLLF and do a quick format of your USB, then use disk manager to reformat it to whatever file system you like

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Same happend to my New 3DS console. The micro sd card died. I tried many different ways, but I just couldn't fix it and I had to buy a new one. There's always the risk that the card dies, especially when loading backups. You can try to use some tools, which were mentioned above, but sometimes there's just no workaround. I hope you can fix your problem.

Last edited by pLaYeR^^,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
No need to use linux or any of that crap. Just download HDDLLF and do a quick format of your USB, then use disk manager to reformat it to whatever file system you like
You know that Linux is much superior to windows (if we are not talking about everyday stuff)?
And you can "brick" your SD in such a way, that windows can't format them (or even see them)...

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A low level formatter will fix your issues
HDDLLF will fix your sdcard

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You tried your best to prevent this thread from becoming an OS debate, I appalud you.
I didn't take the bait
I'm proud

RetroGamer732

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Tried using GParted only to get “input/output error during write on /dev/sdd”, same thing happened with HDDLLF, an I/O Error on every sector. I think I just got unlucky, but when I tried to load the mods, it was a game on the sd card as well, so maybe it was some problem with that, but i don’t know. Thanks to everyone who’s helped out, It’s great to have a community that helps out like this.

Reactions: Deleted-351540

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does your reader work for other cards, or indeed do you have another reader/computer you can try it in? I would expect to see that more with a bad reader or USB.

It is not impossible that the SD card decided to fail at that moment, or one preceded the other, but if those are the error results I would be surprised for it to be the hacked device you were running it on that normally does SD quite happily. If it was some hack job reader that applied too many volts then so be it but it is still a switch and your PC that were speaking to it.

Depending upon the particular failure that happened to cause that then there still may be means of dragging the data back, it is fairly slow and quite exotic as these things go (short version is SD cards tend to have two modes of operation, if the controller crashes for one which would happily show what you see there then you might still have the other). http://hackaday.com/2013/08/19/rescuing-an-sd-card-with-an-arduino/ being nice jumping off point into that world.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto