Gaming My Laptop has a real sense of humor!

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, Forum.

I was looking up info on my laptop on the internet. I wanted to see why my pc does not match it's model number
So.. i load the hp site and my laptop blue screens the second the page loads...

I see it as my pc telling me "You want to look up info on me? well EFF YOU!! i will just terminate myself to stop you" *blue screens*
I was on a skype call with my friend, then he called me at 2AM in the morning asking me what happend .____.

My pc can have a real sense of humor.

It's not the first time i was looking up info on it and it crashed. It happend a good 4 months ago. Maybe my pc just does not want me to game on it.

HP says my PC had HDMI... but it does not. it says it has a 320GB hard drive, but it only has 300GB.

I am sure it's the right model. what could be wrong? :/

I know i have
QUOTE said:
Up to 358 MB
on my Video card.... but it is not listing the one i have.

I have no idea hat is going on.

~ifish

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
hehe, get a better laptop =D
Honestly, it gives you the BSOD every time you look up info??? maybe a virus??

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, HP was never the best when it came to PCs.

I'd suggest running anti-virus, but you must have already tried that.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
ifish said:
Hi, Forum.

I was looking up info on my laptop on the internet. I wanted to see why my pc does not match it's model number

I see it as my pc telling me "You want to look up info on me? well EFF YOU!! i will just terminate myself to stop you" *blue screens*
I was on a skype call with my friend, then he called me at 2AM in the morning asking me what happend .____.

It's not the first time i was looking up info on it and it crashed. It happend a good 4 months ago. Maybe my pc just does not want me to game on it.

HP says my PC had HDMI... but it does not. it says it has a 320GB hard drive, but it only has 300GB.

I know i have
QUOTE said:
Up to 358 MB

~ifish

Most devices are like that.
example
You are promised with 8gb, you get 7.6 gb.
Its because most of them only put in 8000000 KB, which they think is 8 gb already. something like that.

LOL. you think thats funny?
We have 2 computers and a laptop.
one PC died on me, then I tried to use the other computer to burn a live cd, but then that PC BSOD'd on me.

I was scared to use the laptop because it might die on me too.
Fortunately it didnt, and I managed to fix both PC's

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
Hi, Forum.

I know i have
QUOTE said:
Up to 358 MB

~ifish

soe of the aspects dont make sense but the hard drive are you sure it has a 300 gb and not a 320gb take into consideration that the os takes some data space.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
it says it has a 320GB hard drive, but it only has 300GB.
Same.. it says in the HP website that my model has 320GB yet I only have 287GB?!
wtf.gif
Where did the other 30GB go?!

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
320 / (1.02400^3) = 298.023224
Because with GB, you never know if they really mean 10^9 or GiB (2^30). The other 11 GB are probably lost in partitioning somewhere, for a secret driver/install/recovery storage, the bootloader or whatever.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
HP do like to add small recovery partitions. Sometimes you can see it. Sometimes it's ghosted. Either way, I don't think anybody should complain about 30GB of missing space when there's so much left.

As for the discrepency in details about it online... well, there are series, models and then configurations of those models. Many laptop manufactures offer many different configurations of parts. Some laptops of a particular model may come with Core i3, some with Core i5. Some with 3GB of RAM, some with 4. Such differences are usually denominated in the last few numbers of the product ID, although resellers (at least british ones) are notoriously bad at listing anything but the series and model number. E.g. they'll advertise HP Pavillion DV7-3315ea, but leave out the "-3115ea" part.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my brand new customized sony vaio a couple monthes back, and it was supposed to come with
320GBs as well, but instead, it says 289 GBs ;-;

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Well, I have a Inspiron 1525 and I love it

Awesome Dells *-* they´re pretty undestructible.

Also has a Intel Chip, X3100 which isn´t AS BAD as you would think

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infinite Zero said:
ifish said:
it says it has a 320GB hard drive, but it only has 300GB.
Same.. it says in the HP website that my model has 320GB yet I only have 287GB?!
wtf.gif
Where did the other 30GB go?!
Because to windows a MB is the true binary 1024x1024x1024 and HDD manufacturers sell drives as a decimal 1000x1000x1000. You then loose some space for partitionand and file tables, a small amount to windows 7 system partition (8MB) and more for additional recovery partitions from certain manufacturers.

To work out roughly the size you will get use (quoted size X 0.93)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
tagzard said:
ur computure has a mind of its own. hurry burn it on a Indian burial ground before it KILLS YOU!!!!!!!!!!
LOL
You know, the "Red Indians" you're thinking of aren't "Indian" at all - that's just what most people call them. Each of their tribes/communities have a name of their own, and some consider it offensive to be labelled "Red Indians". It's a lil bit like how the Japanese are starting to find it increasingly offensive to be labelled as "Oriental" - lumped together with China, Korea, Singapore, Thailand and a couple others. It's supposed to be well known that they don't really get along with each other, which isn't surprising if you learn a lil about their history.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
You know, before formatting, most of my 1TB HDDs were actually around 1090-1130GB. HDD manufacturers aren't so perfect as to make them exactly 1000x1000x1000.

EDIT: *snip*
I was actually referring to manufacturers selling their drives in GB sizes and the fact that Windows uses 1GB = 1024x1024x1024bytes and HDD manufacturers sell their drives as 1GB = 1000x1000x1000bytes. So a drive sold as 500GB capacity will actually be around 465GB

The above is usually easier for most people than explaining it as 230 vs 109

The convention for selling retail drive sizes as a decimal GB started with the smaller drives. It was a lot better for marketing to advertise a drive as 20GB rather than as an 18GB drive. After that, the convention for 109bytes per GB for retail drives kind of stuck. You might notice SCSI drives were always sold as 230bytes per GB.

I can't vouch for the TB sizes perhaps a 1.1 or 1.2TB size is being sold as only 1TB. The manufacturers probably figure once you get to that size nobody gives a shit about + or _ a couple of hundred gig. Now the drives have become so large they no longer need to bullshit about the actual size.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1