Hacking My experience at the Nintendo World Store..

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I went this mornng to the Nintendo World Store ( the one and only ) and guys I regret I didn't bring my camera !
There was a HUGE DSiXL in the window ( a fake one of course , with two 42 inches screens ! ) and a lot of boxed XLs in the other window.
The place was pretty crowded, but basically there were a lot of kids playing multiplayer on the DSL they have on display, one of them had an XL on his hands, the others just DSi or Lites.
There wasn't any fuss about the XL, no lines or anticipation....I had pre ordered one, but it didn't look like there were gonna run out of the ones in stock any time soon...........
I even got a free T-Shirt that says large XL in the front and Nintendo DSi XL 93070 LARGER in the back......that was very nice of them !

I went home, and tried the AK2i right away.
Of course it works, like it works on any other 1.4 firmware DSi, and I tried a bunch of games.

The verdict : IT ROCKS ! I don't know how much better it is compared to the DSi, but compared to my Lite, is light years ahead !

Games I tried ( and my point is that the difference in size is not only aesthetic, but it also improves gameplay ):

- The brain age games, no need to hold the unit in my hand in this case , just laying it flat on the table was a whole new experience for me, in fact the larger screen is more comfortable for reading ( I don't have to lean and get too close to be able to see the smaller text ) , AND the infamous writing on the screen works so much better because the individual pixels are bigger and easier to hit and draw the numbers with more precision.
The viewing angle is FANTASTIC, I mean on the DSL when I turn it on the side I sort of get a reflection and loss of colors , it really bothers me actually, but on the XL it looks just as good as when you hold it in the classic way.
That alone makes it already a winner in my book, there are a lot of games that plays that way and I never could play for more then a few minutes without getting headache. Now I've gotta catch up with those !

- The sound is LOUD, much louder then the DSL, and the annoying slider on the side is gone ( I could never find the proper level of loudness before , either too much or too low ), now with the digital buttons it's much easier to adjust ( I know that you got that non the DSi as well, but I'm comparing it to my DSL and that's why I bought one ).

- Stylus based games are so much better ! I played Nanostray 2 with touch control enabled: I never enjoyed it this much. Not only I was able to see the bullets much better, but also my theory is that because of the bigger screen they take a bit longer to travel from point a to b ( it might be just an eye perception and not a timing issue ) but fact is the game seemed much more playable then before, and the stylus didn't get much in the way as on the smaller screen.
Much , much better experience, I couldn't see myself going back to the DSL.

- FPS games like Dementium and MPH : Also here huge improvement. Bigger screen, more clarity and more immersive experience then before.
Also since the stylus takes longer to travel from point a to b, my movement and aiming where more precise. I didn't even have to hold the XL in my hands, just by placing it on the table and put my thumb on the d-pad I was able to enjoy it like never before. Again huge improvement !

- The Castlevania games ! Whau......the artwork is just fantastic and not only I can appreciate it more then ever before, but also it's less likely to miss small details that might lead you to secret areas. Also the new d-pad and buttons feel more responsive compared to the DSL, so another win here....

- The Ace attorney games.............no brainier here, larger text, easy to spot clues on the background and perfectly playable on a table with the supersized stylus just like writing or reading a book.......

I got mines today, I'm loving it !
The point is people who say that's the same just bigger, no difference......try to play it first your self, and then go back to play the Lite......you'll hate it and think how did you tolerate that small ass LCD for so long....he he he....

I could go on and on, but I prefer to go back to play my new XL.
You guys don't have to buy one, but if you where already thinking of upgrading your DS phat or lite , honestly you can't go wrong with the XL.
It is a little heavier, but it also has a much better grip, and like I said, once you try it, you'll never go back .
Don't bash it just because you no longer have the latest gadget and feel betrayed by the big N, the XL is just an extra option for whoever wants a new DS, and it works for me and many others, so let's stop complaining, ok
wink.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm73 said:
tattar8 said:
Don't double post...

Which double post ? And do you have anything to say related to this topic other then telling me what to do ?

I think it was a joke on how long the post was.

Good review by the way.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NICE review. I am getting mine on wednesday(ordered from amazon.com) can you tell me if the DSI XL is really heavy..I have a ds lite(never had a dsi) so I dont know the difference in the heaviness as compared to the ds lite..I am looking forward to getting it. What color did you get? I ordered the burgandy..I was told it looks like a red wine color

mori123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Only complaint i have with The new DSI XL is the Shiny Top! I was Seriously in love with the all mat Finish of the DSI... Now i have to deal with a Shiny top
frown.gif
Dust and finger prints oh my

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
mori123 said:
The Only complaint i have with The new DSI XL is the Shiny Top! I was Seriously in love with the all mat Finish of the DSI... Now i have to deal with a Shiny top
frown.gif
Dust and finger prints oh my
Use a matte spray
tongue.gif

But seriously, I ordered mine, how does it fare against a Phat? I have had mine since release so I am used to it, will I miss it? Or will I dump that thing in the garbage?

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Damn your review makes it sound so good, I have enough cash for one but want to get some games for PS3 instead and I dont think there is a way to get all my DSiWare transferred, or is there?

G

GentleFist

this review makes the xl sound so superior~~

but the price scares me almost costs as much as a console

when i bought my ds lite it was 140€

the dsi is 150 i think and the xl is over 170

the wii is only around 10€ more xD

well the xl is still awesome i guess, id buy one if i didn't already have a lite

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol