Hacking music being a pain in the hole

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question. I've just added some new songs to the 'music' folder on my 8GB microSD. I've never had a problem with it before. I scanned every song before download, all clean. I also scanned the entire card before and after the file exchange. no problems. So someone please explain why it is that when I go into Moonshell (v 1.71 btw, I don't like moonshell 2) and try to access my music folder, the system freezes? at first I thought it was a problem with moonshell, but I've also experienced the same problem accessing my music folder in DS Organise. I don't understand. All the files are clean. There's still some room left on my SD card (I always leave about 10-15MB free for saves, etc.) and I'm pretty sure I've had more music on the card than this before. It's just organised a different way now. More folders so it's easier to find my faves. is there a limit to the number of folders it can handle or something? Please help as I now have over 1.5GB of music that I can't listen to. And my roommate snores like a hog, so I kinda need my music to drown that out so I can sleep. and it's gone 3AM here. I'm very tired and cranky. Help please. Thanks in advance.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Additional: I removed the files I added today, just in case it was indeed one of them. It's still not working. Typical. As soon as I decide to get hold of some new music my Evo decides it can't be bothered with the folder any more. What the hell is wrong with it, how the hell do I fix it, and when are we as a species gonna make something that actually works instead of giving me constant error messages and all this bull-crap. Moonshell has no trouble accessing my videos or any other data for that matter, same goes for DS Organise. But as soon as I try to get to my music, it freezes. Every time. WTF?

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Additional Additional: I've tested various other things. All my games seem to be working fine when I access them from the Games button on the Cyclo's home menu, same as always. But if I try to go into the Games folder via Moonshell or DS Organize, system freeze. So it's not a problem with my music folder alone. I know there's normally a short delay when the Evo accesses a folder with a tonne of files in, I expect that. But now it just won't do a damn thing. Totally freezes up. It was working fine before so I don't see what the problem is. The only things to change since the last time it was all confirmed working with no trouble is that two games have been deleted, I re-organised some of my music into different folders, and added some more songs. I took all the new songs off the card and it still wouldn't work, so they're ot the problem. I only deleted two games and the corresponding SAV files, that's hardly out of the ordinary. So what's gone wrong, exactly? And far more importantly, how do I get my music working again? I'm not overly fussed about getting everything working 100% but I would like to be able to listen to my music in some manner. Advice please.

EDIT: OK, it only seems to F up when I try to access either of the folders that were changed today. That's wierd. It'll go into any game directory except the DS one. It'll access my movies, text files and photos without question. It'll play any of my games from the main menu without trouble. But if I try to access either the DS game folder or my music folder through either Moonshell or DSO, it freezes. What exactly has gone wrong here? This is becoming very irritating. Somone help. Either with some technical advice, a sleeping pill, or a shotgun blast directly to my face. Whatever, any of them will help me get some sleep.

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Try reformating your MicroSD. By the way, you know there's an edit option, right? You could've just edited your first post with all the extra info you wanted to add.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just noticed the edit button. My bad. I'm used to posting on the Gamefaqs boards. We don't have an edit button...we're poor. I'm running a check for 'file system errors' and 'bad sectors' on my card. they were the options under 'error checking' so I figured give them a shot. Knowing my luck I'll end having to reformat my card, but I think most of my important data is backed up anyway. Would prefer to avoid formatting the card, I seem to lose about 50MB of the total space whenever I do. Already lost a good couple of hundred MB through reformatting.

EDIT: OK, I've de-fragged the card, scanned it for any possible errors, and as I suspected, it did jack shit. I still can't access my music. It's now gone 5AM here and I have no chance of getting any sleep. Combination of snoring room-mate and extreme stress. Someone PLEASE help. I'm out of ideas about what might be wrong with the damn thing.

ChuckMcB

Trophies
Website
www.ds-xtra.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Would prefer to avoid formatting the card, I seem to lose about 50MB of the total space whenever I do
...something's very wrong if you format and you *lose* space.

All your problems would point to file corruption, formatting is the way to resolve that IMHO...otherwise you may have an SD card that is reaching end of life.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Problem solved. It was the folders themselves, not the files inside them. Something must have gone screwy when I swapped my files around. I just created a new folder called Music 2 and put some of my files in there, they worked fine but I still couldn't access the original music folder. So I transferred everything from Music to Music 2 and it all works perfectly. Just deleted the old music folder now. And my DS games work fine without me having to access the save files via Moonshell or DSO, so I don't see a reason to worry about that folder for now.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only reason to lose capacity when formatting is a screwed up micro SD. Either its reporting its size incorrectly before the format (bad), or its discovering bad sectors during the format, and isolating them to prevent future use (good practice, still bad card).

The behaviour you describe suggests the original folder was located in a corrupt area of the SD, now that its been flagged as empty and open for use you'll get errors in the future as soon as something tries to write to the same bad area. Like a sav file from a game you've been working on for weeks...

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SAV files confirmed writing and reading as normal. Played through two cases in the first Phoenix Wright, saved my game, came back to it later. save file is still intact. Music files all confirmed working. No further problems. I think you're right about the card being dodgy though. I've noticed this problem never happens on my reserve 2GB card. I did get my 8GB card 2nd hand, maybe the previous user was careless with it. Might just replace both cards, get myself a 16GB or something. Stops me running out of space and it means I can use my old cards for backup purposes, just in case my save files ever go wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: btw my updated location I listed isn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's very close to...