multiMAN beginner's guide

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials' started by Cyan, May 2, 2011.

1. Cyan
    OP

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    to delete the cache, there's a setting in multiMAN.
    Maybe your version is too old and doesn't have any cache. or you never cached anything (it's maybe only affecting games with multipart on external drive, caching the unplit part on internet). But you can check if you have that option.
    Go to the XMMB (XMB-like menu layout). To the left side, go to MultiMAN settings (the toolbox icon) and search for the cache option (it's near the top)
    You can select delete cache, and it will list all the affected games.

Oh, I just read my guide again, and it's saying :
    "Since multiMAN v2.00.00, user settings can be changed directly from the XMMB layout, under the Settings column."
    So you probably don't have that column, and therefore no cache setting available here.
    [​IMG]

You can look in your multiMAN folder on your internal hdd, if it's few MB you don't have any cached game file. If it's few GB, you can find that folder easily and delete it manually.

About the game settings, now that I think about it, they are stored inside the game folder (PS3_GAME). not inside multiMAN.
    At least, it's where it was saved on 2.x
    sorry I don't remember all the changelog and when features were added or edited.

Just backup your entire multiMAN folder to your computer (using FTP) and you will be sure to get all the settings saved.

robilyn likes this.
  2. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    There is a limited version of Multiman for PS4 right? Does this in anyway help with the PS4 version, or will you be doing something on that to? @Cyan

Last edited by Zero72463, Aug 29, 2016
  3. kenmai

kenmai Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2016
    got a ps3 with multiman 1.16 and a omg lvl2 patcher. System software version 3.55. Can i upgrade it to higher multiman or can it play new games? newbie here. thanks

4. Dulicious

Dulicious Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2016
    United States
    thanks!

5. LaMpiR

LaMpiR Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2017
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Hello good people. I just a gift ps3 with 4.81 firmware. I have no idea what was the original firmware. Is there any chance to jailbreak it? Thank you.

6. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    that's not the correct thread.
    there is one named "is my PS3 jailbreakable?"
    I think you need E3 flasher hardware device to overwrite your PS3's memory and downgrade the firmware to 3.55
    Few years ago, it was required that the console already had a firmware that low (or lower) at least once, I don't know if it's still a requirement.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 26, 2017
  7. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Too bad the e3 only works on neutered consoles that never had backwards compatibility.

Nothing has been made (that I'm aware of) that will work on a NAND flash console.

8. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    NAND console are the old ones, right? new one uses NOR if I'm not mistaking.
    edit: yeah, NAND ones require teensy and soldering skills.

He should look at a serial number table to know which console type he has and see if he can downgrade it.
    the charts I found are probably outdated, better not link them.
    I found this, so he can check is oldest possible firmware : https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-check-minimum-firmware-version.318773/

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 27, 2017
  9. LaMpiR

LaMpiR Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2017
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Firmware check is saying update data of version 4.22 or later can be installed. So I cannot jailbreak mine?

10. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I didn't follow PS3 hacking progress, so I can't tell.
    but back when I wrote that guide (2011) you needed a console which already had 3.55 or lower to downgrade to that firmware.

11. RaptorDMG

RaptorDMG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Stirling
    Yes only ps3's that can install 3.55 or lower can be downgraded and jailbroken

Cyan likes this.
  12. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    The recent version of multiman has the ability to create an ISO file. Do you or anyone else here know if the ISO file is a 1:1 copy of the disk (including the update files)? I like keeping my backups at least 99.99% close to the original disk.

Also on a sidenote, is multiman open source?

13. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's (or was? should still be) open source. but when I followed development, all sources were in one single file, so only Deank understood his code.
    I don't know if the created ISO is a clean dump of the full disc or rebuilt from just the game's files.
    I didn't follow the development past version 2.x, but the full changelog is available and you can find information about it. If the changelog didn't have the info I searched, I used to read the thread where Deank released his version and betas to follow user's request/dev answers/etc.
    I suppose it would be a lot of work to find an old information now.

Last edited by Cyan, Nov 26, 2017
    CuriousTommy likes this.
  14. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH The key to open some doors

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Searching for myself
    guys I need a bit of help, please.
    I've got GTA V but the game is in folder format and its size is about 16,7gb.
    Since it's more than 4gb I can't use a fat32 drive without splitting files, and since it's on folder format I can't use an NTFS drive either.
    FTP seems the way to go, but since my internet speed sucks ass and my room is away from the router I'm worried that the game won't transfer crrectly, and the FTP method confuses me a lot with fixing permissions and semi-bricks I've read online and it's making me sick :wacko:

What's the easiest and noob-proof method of transferring that game to my PS3 and how can I do it?
    Also would I need to install GTA V when I start the game? I ask that because I only have like 33Gb of free space on my HDD, and if I have to take double the space for the game (game files + first startup installation) I won't have free space left...

15. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    For FTP :
    internet speed has nothing to do.
    you don't connect to your console through internet.
    You connect locally through your router. the distance to the router doesn't change the transfer speed.
    Router's transfer speed is often slower than direct ethernet PC-Console connection.

The game being 16.7GB is not the problem for FAT32.
    The FAT32 problem is only for single files bigger than 4GB.
    The game could be 16.7GB but no single files bigger than 4GB, so there would be no need to split any files.

But, I suppose you tried and that game has file(s) bigger than 4GB.
    The easier way is to :
    - use FAT32 partition
    - use a program to split files bigger than 4GB on your PC
    - copy the game (with split files) to your FAT32 partition
    - use MultiMAN file manager to copy the game from USB to internal memory, Multiman will AUTOMATICALLY unsplit/join split files together on the fly.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/multiman-beginners-guide.291170/#chap3.games4gb.splitfiles
    Both Split4G and OpenSplit are very easy to use. (select the "GAME" folder, wait, done)
    Split4G let you make a copy of your game to keep the original untouched, while OpenSplit edit your current folder's content.
    I'm sure if you downloaded the game, you kept the rar, you don't need to keep the extracted folder untouched. just use OpenSplit to edit the folder's content, and copy everything to FAT32. delete the folder and keep the rars for later use.

So, another solution if you don't want to split files on your computer :
    - copy ALL small files to your FAT32 partition (copy the full game, except the big files)
    - transfer the game to internal (it will be fast)
    - use FTP to transfer ONLY the big files, not the full game.

this method is a good compromise for the ftp speed issue when using a router instead of a direct console-PC ethernet connection, as long as your single big file is relatively small (4-5GB, not one BIG 16GB file)

Last edited by Cyan, Dec 13, 2017
  16. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    No, since you said that your update data of version 4.22 then read this:

No, you cannot jailbreak yours. Sorry. :(

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Dec 13, 2017
  17. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH The key to open some doors

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Searching for myself
    Ok, thanks Cyan! :grog:
    I will try this when I get home, but if the game prompts me to install files I won't have free space left.
    Can I keep the splitted game on the USB and play it normally using webman? Or for splitted games I have to use multiman?

18. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I never used webman (I didn't use my PS3 since 2011, only MultiMan 2.x was released at that time).

MultiMAN could reconstruct split files on the fly and cache them to internal if you play the game from external (no copy to internal before playing).
    all the small files were read/accessed from external, and the big one only from internal, to save free space on internal and prevent copying the full game.
    Now, I don't know if webman has the same features than multiman (I suppose it does), so it should do the same thing.

You need enough space to store the reconstructed files internally. If you already have cached big files belonging to other games, you can delete them to make space. There's an option to delete cached files, or just delete them manually from FTP or file explorer. I think I covered that in my guide on first post. (the glossary links are not working anymore, use CTRL+F to find something)

19. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    Split ISO games work fine with webman. The two use the same functions of the cobra payload to support this. In short if your loader works with cobra it will work.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They also don't need to reconstruct them on the fly with cobra either. However you may still need space to install game data. Either way they should work just fine. Folder games with split files however I don't believe will work without reconstructing the file

Although iirc the split file games will work fine too with cobra. Not sure.... converted any such games to .ISO ages ago.

Last edited by mikey420, Dec 13, 2017
  20. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    ah, I didn't know (or forgot) about split ISO files.
    thanks for the info.

THEELEMENTKH, just test split files from extracted game format with webman and let us know :)
    that's the best way to get a definitive answer.

THEELEMENTKH likes this.