War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I've been thinking about getting a netbook lately. Really need something portable and cheap, so 300 bucks is what I'm aiming for.

eeePC

That's the one I'm thinking about getting. However, I was browsing craigslist today and I found another netbook called MSI Wind.

This one?

I'm not exactly sure if that's the one they're offering in craigslist. They both seem pretty similar spec wise, but one thing that really makes me interested in the MSI Wind is that it can apparently run OSX? o-o I saw some random threads about it, and the guy in craigslist was offering a brand new MSI with dual boot XP/OSX for 300 bucks, same price as the eeePC. What do you guys think? Which one is better?

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe that if your processor supports SSE2, then you can run OSX on it (the OSX86 project).
The eeePC has SSE2, so the OSX consideration shouldn't be too major.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Both are similar specswise.

MSI Wind has unreliable parts. Especially the HDD and the mobo.

Eee (SSD version) is a bit more expensive and smaller, and has less hard drive space.

Eventually. If you're trying to cheap out and don't hold replacing it a big deal, go ahead and go with the Wind.

But I'll pick the Eee anyday over any non-Ion system.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The MSI Wind has a wifi adapter that works well with OSX due to some leaked drivers. The Asus EEE, however, has a wifi adapter compatible with backtrack3 (crack WEP passwords). Winds are all 10 inch screens while EEEs come in 9 and 10 inch varieties (the 90X series being among the smallest netbooks out there; I use a 900HA). The Wind's keyboard has generally been praised as better then any of the EEE's until the 1000HE which from what I hear is the best deal in netbooks right now - http://www.amazon.com/10-Inch-Netbook-Proc...6932&sr=8-2

hope this helps

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
neither get a proper cheap basic 80gb/1gb ram LAPTOP these mini laptops SUCK!

I know several people who have the Eee and they ended up getting a refund on them ... they rebooted regular even though they were only surfing with them ...

A lot of websites complained of incorrect flash versions/shockwave etc etc and refused to update to the latest versions ..some sites were inaccessible for one reason or another ... Facebook and other social networking sites were usable but a lot of applications failed to work properly too!

After getting one friends Eee onto his network ... the next time he turned it back on again a day or so later to use it ... It had completely had forgotten the network settings and I had to go round and set them again
frown.gif

Another one had the drive fail twice in a month so went back for a Full Refund!
frown.gif

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
neither get a proper cheap basic 80gb/1gb ram LAPTOP these mini laptops SUCK!

I know several people who have the Eee and they ended up getting a refund on them ... they rebooted regular even though they were only surfing with them ...

A lot of websites complained of incorrect flash versions/shockwave etc etc and refused to update to the latest versions ..some sites were inaccessible for one reason or another ... Facebook and other social networking sites were usable but a lot of applications failed to work properly too!

After getting one friends Eee onto his network ... the next time he turned it back on again a day or so later to use it ... It had completely had forgotten the network settings and I had to go round and set them again
frown.gif

Another one had the drive fail twice in a month so went back for a Full Refund!
frown.gif
Seems to me that your friends are simply computer illiterate. Just because they couldn't handle a little linux doesnt mean that netbooks are terrible. Besides, almost all of them ship with xp nowadays. Hard drive failure is somewhat common among all mechanical drive laptops; they are simply not meant to be moved around often, especially sudden movements, which are easy to not think about when handling something as light as a netbook.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Personally, I'd get a eeePC. Many people here, like Linki, can vouch for it's quality and such. But for my personal reason, is because I can buy them at the local Target... xD

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
I have a post I wrote about the 900HA:

http://shtbc.net/?p=7

But since you still haven't gotten one... I would wait a little. Apparently netbooks with good GPUs are gonna be coming out soon.
Good GPUs, huh? I saw Gamespot make a review on netbooks, and they say games don't run half bad on them. It's a given that it's not a platform to play games on, but it's been done and it's not that bad. Apparently they put a couple of games on. I can't say much about it now, but they said the only thing holding back the netbooks are the processors. You might need to wait a bit longer to get a satisfactory amount of power in a netbook processor, but here's the link to the article. It's about the eee PC, by the way.
Source: Netbook Gaming

I got carried away, but this is considering you're planning on some form of gaming for your laptop. Good luck!

EDIT: My bad, the page with games like L4D and CSS is an ASUS N10J. My bad...

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a wind, its great. my housemate, on the other hand, has an eee and has had nothing but problems with it. but i suppose your mileage may vary. if you get a wind you absolutely have to get one with a 6 cell battery though, the 3 cell sucks.

TraumaHoundNDS

Trophies
Website
traumahound.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
United States
I picked up an eeePC from Best Buy for Xmas. Works great for what I bought it for, surfing on the go (and for the kids to have a computer so they can stay off of mine.) Only annoyance I've had with it thus far is it sometimes resets the desktop dimensions (haven't figured how/why and it's not consistent) but otherwise it's great for a $300 XP netbook (that I would like to up the RAM from 1GB to 2GB at some point.)

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:

But since you still haven't gotten one... I would wait a little. Apparently netbooks with good GPUs are gonna be coming out soon.
The Ion platform isn't coming until summer and it will start out as desktops only. Besides, the 9400m is somewhat overrated for gaming, you wont get more then 20 fps in modern games

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
notnarb said:
Linkiboy said:

The Ion platform isn't coming until summer and it will start out as desktops only. Besides, the 9400m is somewhat overrated for gaming, you wont get more then 20 fps in modern games

The Ion is still miles better for both performance and compatibility than the current Intel platforms. Things such as working OpenGL mean a lot to me.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Taza said:
notnarb said:
Linkiboy said:

The Ion is still miles better for both performance and compatibility than the current Intel platforms. Things such as working OpenGL mean a lot to me.

Why even suggest Ions though? They arent coming out for months for desktops, and wont be in any kind of netbook for ages, maybe years even. Kind of useless advice when the OP is just asking about MSI or Eee, which dont have one single model that has even announced Ion built in.

Get a netbook with a holographic display, things such as working holograms mean a lot to me!
yaypsp.gif

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Alright, i think I've narrowed it down to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220443

It's the 1000 series of eeePCs. I like it because it has a 10" screen, better webcam, etc. However, I'll probably have to buy more ram which means more money... :\

Also, it seems like the MSI Wind offers the same features for less price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834152091

It's 6 cell and has the same features but is cheaper and has free shipping, which is another 20 bucks off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)