Hacking MSET downgrade questions

Urbanshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I'm planning to write a full updated guide to cfw soon (don't worry, you have plenty of good tutorials so it won't be posted here!) with gets to every corner of the scene, not just installation.

I'm having trouble finding how one should downgrade mset on 5.X,7.X and 8.X o3ds/2ds. My idea was to get some no-firmlaunch cfw to run through mset (mainly rx devmode) and sysupdate to 9.2 asap, but for that I need mset downgrade.

Good point is they all are running spider, so I think GW Launcher MSET downgrade could be a choice, but 2ds systems will not survive a system format in 4.XDG mset and I don't know for sure what it does to the system.

Second idea was cart update to 6.X if lower, but there's the need of the cart.
At the end of the way is also that 8.1J browserless system. Yikes.

Any tips?

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2DS and o3DS, you have to use 6.x MSET. n3DS, you have to use 4.x. alternantively, you can just use weblaunch method to launch rxtools and run sysupdater from that.

follow this for the 8.1.0-0J upgrade:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-upgrading-8-1-0-0j-to-9-2-0-20j.384960/page-31#post-5876022

it's much safer than updating and downgrading, assuming that you do have cubic ninja to boot up NTR. if not, just update to 10.3.0-28J and then downgrade, that's your only choice.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble finding how one should downgrade mset on 5.X,7.X and 8.X o3ds/2ds. My idea was to get some no-firmlaunch cfw to run through mset (mainly rx devmode) and sysupdate to 9.2 asap, but for that I need mset downgrade

You probably shouldn't encourage people to downgrade mset in any guide.

Is easier and more convenient to run rxTools Dev Mode from the web browser, update to 9.2 and use Browserhax to install Menuhax.

Downgraded mset was created for 9.2 users who didn't want to depend in an internet connection to boot rxTools/Gateway, now Menuhax voids the whole downgrade mset purpose.

Downgradimg mset to run rxTools Dev Mode to update to 9.2 is overly pointless when people can go straight to 9.2 using the web browser.

Urbanshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The idea was to update to 9.2 using sysupdater, nothing fancy-fancy in 10's land. I didn't have much luck using weblaunch on a 6.1.0-8 o3ds, but that system was already on 6.X, so dsmode flashcard and go. What if you have a 5.x-8 system? Creating a fake system update system seems like overreacting.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Downgradimg mset to run rxTools Dev Mode to update to 9.2 is overly pointless when people can go straight to 9.2 using the web browser.

And the boot rate of the browser is over 20%? What about old/no browser systems?

Urbanshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Browser has %100 boot rate.

Old systems with no browser (3.0 and below) can simply use a game to update to 4.x and use mset.

As I said, I had bad experiences with weblaunch before. My 6.1.0-8E system had 0% boot rate in anything browser related (had to go all the complicated mset,rxtools,injected fbi,sysupdater to 9.2 way).

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can downgrade mset means you can already install cias, which means you can already access a CFW to do so.

So it's pointless to downgrade mset instead of using sysupdater right there to update.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i personally love MSET. higher boot rate and faster boot as well. whilst *hax booting has 2 points of failure (first being *hax itself and the other being the launcher), MSET only has one (which is the launcher), as the system settings runs 100%.

if you're already in 6.x, there's no need to downgrade MSET. you can use the 6.x ROP and boot from there.

Urbanshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you can downgrade mset means you can already install cias, which means you can already access a CFW to do so.

So it's pointless to downgrade mset instead of using sysupdater right there to update.

Point taken. I will research how to browser update to 9.2, never heard of it. Thanks.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is another technique you might not know.

If you have let's say 7.1.0-0E You can use one of the cooking mama games to update to 9.2.0-0E and then use Cubic Ninja to access Ninjhax 2.5, this then allows you to boot into rxTools, sysupdater and boom get a full 9.2 update (been done by other users here) ;)

In the USA people can use Super Smash Bros Revision 2 to update to 9.2 instead.

Or a Sky3ds flashcart instead of tracking down those games.

Urbanshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

If you have let's say 7.1.0-0E You can use one of the cooking mama games to update to 9.2.0-0E and then use Cubic Ninja to access Ninjhax 2.5, this then allows you to boot into rxTools, sysupdater and boom get a full 9.2 update (been done by other users here) ;)

I did know this one, but I was trying to avoid sending the user to purchase anything. And finding a proper url for rxload does just that. They still have to inject FBI but it will do dandy fine, I think.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Systems from 7.x - 8.x with no web browser are extremely rare anyways, it is a really really low percentage of users that are affected by this situation and I guess that's the price to pay for their bad luck if they still wish to hack their console.

There will never be a magical solution that fixes everyone's issues for free.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

ninjhax 2.5 requires a browser. i don't think that would work.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No it doesn't, this has been proven.

It downloads the files from http.

hm, i always thought that it was using the browser exploit to get it to download via http. makes me wonder why ninjhax 2.5 isn't ported for versions below 9.x then. if that was the case, this could have saved a lot of 8.1.0-0J users.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@reiyu Go to Ninjhax 2.5 website, select any version and get a qr code, then change the browser version and update the qr code, you'll realize that all versions give you the same qr code regarless of browser version.

The original Ninjhax used the web browser but that exploit was patched in the 9.3 update.

The reason N3DS 8.1J users can't use the homebrew launcher is because there is no public payload for it.

Gateway has it but it is closed source, hence why Gateway works in N3DS 8.1J

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
interesting. don't think we'll see the day that hax will be ported to FW < 9.0 anymore due to the downgrade methods. the NTR update is easy enough to follow, but it also requires cubic ninja, which a lot of people don't have access to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really...