Hacking MSET downgrade (and other questions..) on a 4.1 fw

mrfalken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I finally put my hands on a 4.1 o3ds with browser installed and got emunand + fbi set up using rxtools (2.6)..I just have a few doubts :)

- Can't find a clear tutorial for downgrading mset in sysnand for launching rxtools without wifi/browser, the only one I tried involves using msetdg.py, but I get a 404 while downloading msetdg.bin from CDN..any hints ?
- I read everywhere that is safe to upgrade emunand through system settings..nevertheless I'm a bit scared, can you confirm that I won't risk a sysnand upgrade ? (I already "split" emu and sys)
- I used the standard 2GB SD card for setting up everything (I be damned.. :P), is it ok to believe that if I want to use a bigger SD a low level clone (dd or similar) + a partition resize would do the trick ?

Thanks... :)

New_Newbie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. You don't need to downgrade your mset if you are on 4.1. Use the latest nightly for rxTools, and use rxinstaller.bin to install rxTools over the ds profile. Just follow this tutorial here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ (I don't know about anyone else, but I had problems launching the nightly and had to use a game cartridge to upgrade to 4.5. Only then would it work..) Upgrading to the latest nightly doesn't overwrite your emunand btw, so you don't need to follow the first step.

2. Yep, totally safe! I run an emunand 10.1. As long as you update in the system settings and your system version has RX-E or whatever by it, it's fine. If it doesn't have those letters by it, however, you're screwed if you upgrade.

3. I'm not sure what you mean, I run rxTools on an 8gb sd card. I started on a 2gb, but just copied the files over and I was fine.
I hope I helped :)

Reactions: Margen67

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hi,
I finally put my hands on a 4.1 o3ds with browser installed and got emunand + fbi set up using rxtools (2.6)..I just have a few doubts :)

- Can't find a clear tutorial for downgrading mset in sysnand for launching rxtools without wifi/browser, the only one I tried involves using msetdg.py, but I get a 404 while downloading msetdg.bin from CDN..any hints ?
- I read everywhere that is safe to upgrade emunand through system settings..nevertheless I'm a bit scared, can you confirm that I won't risk a sysnand upgrade ? (I already "split" emu and sys)
- I used the standard 2GB SD card for setting up everything (I be damned.. :P), is it ok to believe that if I want to use a bigger SD a low level clone (dd or similar) + a partition resize would do the trick ?

Thanks... :)
1. You don't need to downgrade, you already have a 4.x system. Install the nds file with a DS flashcart and you are good to go with offline booting.
2. Yes it is safe. As long as you do not exit Settings before you update, as exiting Settings puts you back on sysNAND.
3. There are tutorials for moving emuNAND to a new SD card, do a search of the forums.

mrfalken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the hints.. :)

1 - Don't have a DS flashcart and would like to avoid nightly builds (the "unstable, use at your own risk" message scares the hell out of me.. :D), any chances ? :)
2 - thanks, will upgrade now

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When attempting to update emuNAND, enter the settings, note that it displays RX-E, then immediately proceed to update.

Exiting settings forces the 3DS to reboot, kicking you back to sysNAND.

So if you exit the settings, then enter it again, you're going to be in sysNAND and you'll end up updating your 3DS to the unhackable 10.1 firmware.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the hints.. :)

1 - Don't have a DS flashcart and would like to avoid nightly builds (the "unstable, use at your own risk" message scares the hell out of me.. :D), any chances ? :)
2 - thanks, will upgrade now
I think it is possible with FBI but not sure how. There's no reason not to get a DS flashcart, they are really cheap (like $5-$10 including postage) and make things a lot easier.

mrfalken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Btw, just tried to install MSET using rxinstaller.bin found in the nightly rxtools release, but after a browser crash (as expected) it didn't work: nintendo ds profile still opening and not launching rxtools.. :(

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, just tried to install MSET using rxinstaller.bin found in the nightly rxtools release, but after a browser crash (as expected) it didn't work: nintendo ds profile still opening and not launching rxtools.. :(

Why use rxTools? Cakes is a better option IMO...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol