MS: 2011 'all about Kinect'

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
name them all than i bet there's under 10 if a games multiplat including PC than it's not exclusive! go ahead name them
tongue.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Play...on_3-only_games

I think, there just might be over 10 exclusives.

Edit: Dang it prowler, you beat me to it.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
moving in front of my console to play games?

WHAT?

I suppose they HUMONGOUSLY underestimate the laziness of their most loyal video game fans.
I am the first one to admit that i want to sit on my ass when playing video games.
NEVER will I ever buy a device that requires me to gesticulate in front of my Television in order to play games (while struggling with a retarded motion sensing software that gives me the same freedom of control that the first C64 joystick brought me).

instead of bringing out more and more stupid gimmicks, increase the quality of your current products, focus on developing GOOD, quality games.

5 years from now you won't be able to buy a game that plays on todays console anymore, because you don't have a plethora of gimmicks that you need to plug into your console, in order to control the character.

How about, bring me a console that is on par with today top gaming machines, that is affordable, doesn't completely max out it's hardware playing games, is compatible with any USB device (ie, you can buy a cheap generic camera, instead of having to buy a SONY CERTIFIED camera).

But no. More gimmicks for the video-game player, because as long as he is distracted dancing in front of his TV, he won't even notice that his XBOX is about to burn a hole in the floor.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone thinks Eye Toy and Kinect are the same thing, even in concept, they obviously know nothing about either device.

And I'm still laughing about the guy who said "Move was done right." That's freaking hillarious. I own the Move, along with 3 games. The Move is f***ed across the board. There are so many things wrong with the Move that we could start an entirely new topic just about its many shortcomings.

And the price is not cheap. Yes, the starter bundle is $99. But anyone who actually owns a move knows you need a lot more than just the starter bundle.

But the main problem with the Move is simple. Its simply a Wiimote rip off. (In b4 someone implies Sony's Eye Toy proto is the same as the Wiimote.) People see the Move in the stores and think "so its just like the Wii" then they turn 360 degrees and walk away.

Seriously, you kids and your brand loyalties. Its hillarious. You're totally blinded to the reality of this business.

edit: One last thing. Anyone who thinks a company would alienate one user base to go after another is a clueless fool. Its called market expansion. You can have both core gamers and casuals. Only fanboy idiots think otherwise.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SPH73 said:
If anyone thinks Eye Toy and Kinect are the same thing, even in concept, they obviously know nothing about either device.
You can say that. Doesn't mean it's true.

QUOTEAnd I'm still laughing about the guy who said "Move was done right." That's freaking hillarious. I own the Move, along with 3 games. The Move is f***ed across the board. There are so many things wrong with the Move that we could start an entirely new topic just about its many shortcomings.
Or you could start now. I haven't heard any detailed opinions of the move, and I'm curious about it's flaws.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Eyetoy concept: play without a controller
Kinect: control without a controller.
Similar concepts, not quite the same. Kinect is an advancement on eyetoy.
Sony tried to play it safe, and, IMHO, it payed off. I think that after trying all 3 that the Move feels the best. You feels more connected to te game, whereas Kinect feels distant.

Note: you could argue that Eyetoy was ripped off a sega game that I can't remember the name of.

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SPH73 said:
But the main problem with the Move is simple. Its simply a Wiimote rip off. (In b4 someone implies Sony's Eye Toy proto is the same as the Wiimote.) People see the Move in the stores and think "so its just like the Wii" then they turn 180 degrees and walk away.

fix'd

Anyways, I got the eyetoy at launch, played with it, and had fun. Now I got kinect, and yeah, its a gimmick. But it's fun. I also played on the move a couple times, and enjoyed that too. You guys all moan about the core fanbase and all that, but you are not the target market for move or kinect, you are a completely different market. As long as you are willing to pay for games (yeah, right) then they will continue to be made.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
SPH73 said:

Judging by your comment you obviously have no experience or understanding of either device.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThePowerOutage said:
Note: you could argue that Eyetoy was ripped off a sega game that I can't remember the name of.
the dreameye I think

but even so it was only released in jp and no games were ever released to use it, was meant to be a web cam for online chatting more then anything
it was announced they wanted to use it for games but nothing came out of it mainly because of the collapse of the dreamcast and sega

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
BobTheJoeBob said:
I haven't heard any detailed opinions of the move, and I'm curious about it's flaws.
From what I've played with the Move, the controller is a very advanced Wii Remote. Given the coloured ball on the Move, the EyeToy can use that to track player depth, allowing for even more depth into gameplay. This can easily be seen in a table tennis game in Sports Champions, where a difference between simply swinging next to you, and actually moving to get the ball, can be seen. This is not present in the Wii Remote and MotionPlus accessories of the Wii, which are incapable of detecting player depth and motions to a certain position. The Move works flawlessly at what it does. Detect motions, both hand-based gestures like the Wii Remote, and simple body movements in a similar concept to Kinect. Unlike Kinect, it cannot detect all the limbs of a player, but Move is capable of tracking a player's left and right movements, likewise to chase a ball or something in sports titles.

The only real flaw about the Move is that there is currently a lack of a blockbuster hit that can drive it to success. Wii rode the Wii Sports craze to success. Kinect has quality in Dance Central and Kinectimals. If the Move were to have something that really shows itself off, it would be able to take off, which sadly, isn't the case right now. Sports Champions is fun, but it's not something that'll drive the product forward.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SPH73 said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
SPH73 said:

Judging by your comment you obviously have no experience or understanding of either device.
Again, you can say that, doesn't make it true till you back it up.

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
prowler_ said:
Overly expensive?
Kinect is £129 right now on game.co.uk, Playstation Move Starter Pack is only £49.
Kinect is ridiculously over priced since it's £20 cheaper than the 360 itself.
No, Move costs more:

Xbox Kinect: $150

Playstation Move Starter Pack (North America): $100
Plus 1 Controller: $150
Plus Another: $200

and so on...

Kinect is pretty much cheaper, but for the family...

Anyways, I knew that this thread will turn into a debate whether Kinect or Playstation Move is better, or a copycat...
I kinda like Kinect better since I have already tried Kinect and own a PS Move
smile.gif

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Crazzy1 said:
prowler_ said:
Overly expensive?
Kinect is £129 right now on game.co.uk, Playstation Move Starter Pack is only £49.
Kinect is ridiculously over priced since it's £20 cheaper than the 360 itself.
No, Move costs more:

Xbox Kinect: $150

Playstation Move Starter Pack (North America): $100
Plus 1 Controller: $150
Plus Another: $200

and so on...

Kinect is pretty much cheaper, but for the family...

Anyways, I knew that this thread will turn into a debate whether Kinect or Playstation Move is better, or a copycat...
I kinda like Kinect better since I have already tried Kinect and own a PS Move
smile.gif

Prowler is talking about the UK. Kinect is significantly cheaper in the US than the UK and Europe. And he's right going off amazon, Kinect is double the price of the Move starter pack.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well no matter where you live the Move is also quite expensive, especially if you want the full / real Move experience.

The Starter Pack is $100 (Roughly $120 tax included for those living in the USA)

Then you need a second remote. The gladiator game in Sports Champions is an entirely different game with a second Move remote. And you can't even play The Fight properly without a second remote. So what will run you another $55. (Tax included.) You simply cannot have the real / full Move experience without a second remote.

Then you need a Navigation Controller. Let me tell you something, the idiots who say "you can just use the Dual Shock" have no idea what they are talking about. Using the Dual Shock while holding the Move in your other hand is VERY uncomfortable. So the Navi Controller will cost you another $33 (tax included)

Finally there is one absolutely essential accessory that no one ever mentions. A charge station. Now people will claim "well you can just plug it into your PS3." Well let me tell you something, those people are retards. It takes a VERY long time to charge the Move remote (almost 5 hours) and your PS3 has to be on the whole time. Of course you could just hook it up to your PC, but that can be very inconvienient for people like myself who just own a laptop. So the charge station will cost you $20 to $30 depending on which brand you buy.

So lets re-cap:

Sports Champion Bundle $100 ($120 tax included)
Move Remote $50 ($55 tax included)
Navigation Controller $30 ($33 tax included)
Charge Station $20 or $30 depending on the brand.

Grand Total: $210-$250 (The later price includes sales tax and the Sony brand charge station)

Meanwhile Kinect is $150 ($175 tax included)

So neither device is cheap, but just like all Sony products, the Move will cost you more in the long run.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
Wintrale said:
Meh. Sony did the wrong thing with the Move the fact is that they're trying to cash in on Nintendo's success but they'll fail because it's too late. The Move is simply a Wiimote on a console that has only shooting games available to play. Sony are making sure "shooters" are getting Move support,
fixed for YA!
moogle.gif

...Are you on crack? The 360 is the one known for FPS, not the PS3. I know FAR more games that aren't FPS on the PS3 then the 360. So no, not really fixed at all.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
SPH73 said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
SPH73 said:

Again, you can say that, doesn't make it true till you back it up.

Honestly, now. I'm not even a Microsoft fan, and even I think that comparing the Eyetoy to Kinect is a really silly statement. Simply Googling the two devices will present more than enough information to show that the two devices are hardly related. By saying "You can say that, but it doesn't mean it's true", you might as well be saying "I know you are, but what am I?"

The Eyetoy is, quite literally, simply a webcam, rebranded and made all fancy on the outside to match the aesthetics of the PS2. Since it is only capable of "seeing" a player using regular ol' 2D video, there's not much it can do besides track motion, and primitively at that. This is precisely why most Eyetoy games are mainly comprised of simple, very remedial concepts, such as hitting onscreen objects or doing very simplistic motions in order to do make something happen onscreen. These concepts really only require being able to sense simple motion, and it's all that the Eyetoy is really capable of. It's all novelty, and it wasn't intended to be much more than that.

Kinect, while sharing some traits with Sony's last-gen camera peripheral, is a vastly different device, in that it is able to physically sense the player, and is not limited to simply flat video. Using the many infrared structured lights, it can track the player in 3D space, sensing shape, depth, and features. The concept actually sort of reminds me of that neat pinhead sculpture toy thingamajig, only far more advanced and less obtrusive, obviously. That, coupled with the camera-based capabilities displayed in the Eyetoy (slightly modified, of course), makes for a very interesting and far more capable gaming device. Microsoft seems to have great plans for Kinect, and isn't touting it as only simple novelty. The first round of products really don't show the true potential of Microsoft's peripheral. There's a lot of potential in Kinect, and hopefully now that developers are spending more time with the device, we'll be able to see some of it come to form in 2011.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
Bladexdsl said:
Wintrale said:
Meh. Sony did the wrong thing with the Move the fact is that they're trying to cash in on Nintendo's success but they'll fail because it's too late. The Move is simply a Wiimote on a console that has only shooting games available to play. Sony are making sure "shooters" are getting Move support,
fixed for YA!
moogle.gif

...Are you on crack? The 360 is the one known for FPS, not the PS3. I know FAR more games that aren't FPS on the PS3 then the 360. So no, not really fixed at all.

Although the PS3 actually has more FPS games. If look at exclusives, the Xbox 360 has Halo. The PS3 has Resistance and Killzone. Both have CoD, BFBC, etc.

I always thought the PC was "the FPS console".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: