Hardware Moving WBFS files to another HDD

lukands

I took the little bus here
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I have a few small drives formatted as WBFS, would like to store (backup) all games onto 1 large HDD. Whats the best format to use on the new HDD...NTFS, exfat, etc..

lukands

I took the little bus here
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
NTFS imo. You can store large files this way without worry. This really matters for a backup drive.

Thats kind of what I thought, just been a long time since I touched them and didn`t remember. Just want to backup my backups just in case I loose them, drive corruption, etc... Now to dust off Backup Manager!

Reactions: Mythical

QueenZircon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTFS is the best if you'll be using Windows exclusively. However, if you want to use a Mac or Linux, then exFAT is the most reliable on all of them.

QueenZircon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is exfat supported by cios/launchers?

Afaik FAT32 is the best for write support.
For playing backups on the Wii, exFAT is only supported by some loaders, such as Nintendont. FAT32 does have the best OS compatibility, but has a strict 4GB maximum file size, which isn't enough for some games. Large files need to be split, which is inconvenient and ugly. exFAT is the best choice for both OS compatibility and large contiguous files, assuming you intend to store (not play) these second backups. However, if you want to play them directly from the drive (or you only use Windows, thus making OS-compatibility irrelevant), then NTFS is the best choice.

Reactions: Alexander1970

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just remember that Nintendont does not support NTFS. If you are going to use with real hardware and are going to play GameCube games, FAT32 is your best bet as it provides maximum compatibility. There are no GameCube games greater than 1.4G in size, and programs such as the Wii Backup Manager handle splitting >4G Wii files very conveniently and pretty.

I wish Nintendont did support NTFS as I would use nothing but the most reliable and robust file system out there. But it does not.

Last edited by ChibiMofo,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a few small drives formatted as WBFS, would like to store (backup) all games onto 1 large HDD. Whats the best format to use on the new HDD...NTFS, exfat, etc..
Hello,

The most common format for games is the fat32 format.

If your external hard drives are in WBFS format, you can convert them to fat 32 (without losing the data), with this software (wbfs2fat) ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/wbfs2fat-py.291320/

and then use "" wii backup manager "" for the transfer from disk to disk. Wii backup manager manages games larger than 4 GB, they split them into two parts.

Then it's up to you to see which format you want to use.:yayu:

Sincerely Jeannotte.:wink:

QueenZircon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just remember that Nintendont does not support NTFS. If you are going to use with real hardware and are going to play GameCube games, FAT32 is your best bet as it provides maximum compatibility. There are no GameCube games greater than 1.4G in size, and programs such as the Wii Backup Manager handle splitting >4G Wii files very conveniently and pretty.

I wish Nintendont did support NTFS as I would use nothing but the most reliable and robust file system out there. But it does not.
Good point. However, if the drive might someday be used for general-purpose backups too, FAT32 can be a big headache if you need to split huge files such as dd images or Blu-ray iso backups. As with everything, it's a trade-off. I use one 128GB FAT32 SD card to play my games, and one giant 8TB NTFS drive to store, but not play, my backup backups.

Reactions: jeannotte

Mr_Zomka

Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania

Can I use exFAT for Nintendont tho?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Can I use exFAT for Nintendont tho?

Hello.:)

To answer your Question:
No,Nintendont works only properly on FAT32 USB Devices or SD Cards.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

Yes,it is maybe a little "old" but it has its legitimacy.
(It is always easy to criticize Users,they recommend "Outdated" Manuals.....instead of making actual Manuals by themself)

Thank you.:)

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.