Hacking Question Moving Homebrew from SYSNAND to EMUNAND

candyrocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone!

I have a switch running atmosphere (latest version). Unfortunately, when I installed CFW over two years ago, I never created an EMUNAND, and just did everything on the SYSNAND.

Now, I would like to move everything to an EMUNAND so I can connect online with a clean SYSNAND.

I have the original backup NAND from before I installed homebrew, as well as the boot0/boot1 files, and the biskeys. It looks like the firmware of the backup NAND is 7.0.1.

1) What is the best way to do this, and are there any guides? I am not good at this stuff.
2) Will I have to reinstall all of the NSPs again on the EMUNAND? It would be a pain downloading everything again as I have lost a lot of NSPs.
3) Do I need to back up my saves?
4) I have never connected my switch to the internet after installing homebrew. I updated the firmware on the SYSNAND using Choidujournx, and more recently, via Daybreak. However, I think that the very first time I updated the firmware, I might have ended up using a method where the fuses were burned (I don't remember very clearly, I might be making this up). What are the problems and consequences of a fuse count mismatch when I restore the SYSNAND to the clean 7.0.1 state?
5) Once I have a clean SYSNAND, and an EMUNAND for homebrew, do I have to update the firmware separately for each? If I update using Nintendo servers on SYSNAND, will EMUNAND also update? If not, and each of them is updated separately, how does the switch deal with the difference in fuse count?

Really appreciate the help and guidance!

Thanks!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I have a switch running atmosphere (latest version). Unfortunately, when I installed CFW over two years ago, I never created an EMUNAND, and just did everything on the SYSNAND.

Now, I would like to move everything to an EMUNAND so I can connect online with a clean SYSNAND.

I have the original backup NAND from before I installed homebrew, as well as the boot0/boot1 files, and the biskeys. It looks like the firmware of the backup NAND is 7.0.1.

1) What is the best way to do this, and are there any guides? I am not good at this stuff.
2) Will I have to reinstall all of the NSPs again on the EMUNAND? It would be a pain downloading everything again as I have lost a lot of NSPs.
3) Do I need to back up my saves?
4) I have never connected my switch to the internet after installing homebrew. I updated the firmware on the SYSNAND using Choidujournx, and more recently, via Daybreak. However, I think that the very first time I updated the firmware, I might have ended up using a method where the fuses were burned (I don't remember very clearly, I might be making this up). What are the problems and consequences of a fuse count mismatch when I restore the SYSNAND to the clean 7.0.1 state?
5) Once I have a clean SYSNAND, and an EMUNAND for homebrew, do I have to update the firmware separately for each? If I update using Nintendo servers on SYSNAND, will EMUNAND also update? If not, and each of them is updated separately, how does the switch deal with the difference in fuse count?

Really appreciate the help and guidance!

Thanks!
  1. https://switch.homebrew.guide/
  2. emuMMC initially is just a copy of sysMMC. After it is created, then you have to install them separately for sysMMC and emuMMC
  3. No but it doesn't hurt to have a backup
  4. The console won't be able to boot normally so you will have to launch the console in RCM
  5. emuMMC and sysMMC operate independently which includes the firmware

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.