Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Acetic Orcein, Mar 20, 2010.

Mar 20, 2010

Motion Sickness by Acetic Orcein at 6:23 PM (1,595 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Acetic Orcein
    OP

Member Acetic Orcein GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Baah!

Hello. Just wondering how many of you experience motion sickness during gaming? I've played video games for as long as I can remember, but never really have experienced it before. I do tend to get travel sickness very easily though lol.

However, I've noticed on a few current games... Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles in particular, that I get motion sick pretty bad! And after finishing, my head is literally spinning (well not literally, but you get the idea I hope). Things like 'gun swaying' have never bothered me in FPS's for example.

I'm guessing it's the extremely irritating screen shake in Resi causing it, but this is being utilised in quite a few games. For the Wii, Red Steel 2 is guilty! Unfortunately it also seems like a very good game.

How many other people experience motion sickness? Are there any games that are especially effective at triggering it? I'm guessing we'll have a mixture of responses since everyone is different! But yeah... it's something that would stop me enjoying an otherwise good game. Does anyone else enjoy 'screen shake'? I personally find it adds nothing to any game, but maybe i'm just biased lol.

2. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    I can't say I have ever. Although my Dad gets Motion sickness during games like Army of Two (He's fine for FPS though) and my Mom get's sick during Mario Kart.

3. ZeroPF

Newcomer ZeroPF Member

United States
    It seems to me that most people get motion sickness when playing on-rail shooters or FPS's. My father for example only gets motion sickness when playing these kind of games; other games have no effect on him.

4. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I have on a couple of occassions, the most recent was Serious Sam HD, damn annoying when your enjoying the game, but usually it don't affect me, so i don't why 1 or 2 games have this affect on me.

"off topic" great avatar OP.

5. kaputnik

Member kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I don't get motion sick from playing games (I'm a sailor, so I'm pretty used to that kind of stuff) but I might have an idea about how to avoid it; simply don't sit so close to the screen.

Now let's see if I can explain this in english;

Motion sickness is caused by your eyes having different conception of your position relative to the gravity than your balance organs. So by sitting a bit further away from the screen and thus having more of your real surrounding in your field of vision, you should have a better chance of not fooling your eyes into believing that the moving game world is the real world so to say.

Basically it's the same thing as the oldest trick in the book at the seas (just go out on deck and watch the horizon for a while), but the other way around. At sea your eyes think you move less than you really do, since you're not moving a lot relative to the bulkheads. When you're playing video games, your eyes think you move a lot more than you really do, since youäre sitting absolutely still in your sofa or something :>

6. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    the only games that do it to me is the COD series, weird.

7. Roamin64

Newcomer Roamin64 Member

Canada
    I'm not usually prone to motion sickness, but Lazy Raiders on 360 arcade gives me almost instant motion sickness. I can't play that game for more then 20 minutes.

8. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The ONLY time I'd get motion sickness from a game was the San Fransisco level in Cruisin' USA. And it'd happen every time... [​IMG]

9. Prime_Zero

Member Prime_Zero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I did but only one time, it was while I was playing Resident Evil 4 on the part where your riding the mine cart and going down in a circle around and around and around and ...OooOOooh [​IMG]

only happened the one time though

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I never have. Didn't see the big issue with Darkside Chronicles really, the camera was a little shaky but that only made shooting a little harder, and that was only in the earlier levels.

The one thing I do have to do when playing video games or using the computer is pee though. Like every time. It annoys the shit out of me. Almost literally.

11. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Lets see. I get motion sickness from EVERY FPS, and often third person shooters. Playing Rachet and Clank gives me serious headaches [​IMG]

12. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    I once played Daikatana using one of those TV goggles from back in the day, after I was done playing, I wasn't able to walk for a couple minutes, Daikatana would make you really dizzy.

13. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I don't think it was the visual depth as much as the game itself, it was daikatana after all. [​IMG]

14. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    My wife gets motion sickness really bad when she watches me playing an FPS or any game that you have to rotate the camera on a regular basis.

15. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I don't get motion sickness at all, so I'm fairly safe from this. [​IMG]

16. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I don't get motion-sickness.

I heard Super Mario Galaxy induces motion sickness with the weird gravity and such.

17. pokesteven

Newcomer pokesteven Advanced Member

United States
    When I play games normally im fine, but when I was younger and used to play my gameboy in the car or on a plane I would get dizzy really quickly. I think its because there is stuff moving on the screen and outside the window but idk.

18. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Raise from the dead thread but i got my first motion sickness from that same Serious Sam HD yesterday morning urr.. Almost vomit in half an hour i stopped right away at first signs of nausea, i have a history with travel sickness as car passenger so i'm not so surprised.. Disabled that option of "bobbing" i'l see if it get any better for me, this game is next target on my backloggery.