Hacking Mother 3 slowdown & sound issues

KinGamer7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I'm using an R4 (with Wood R4 firmware) with eZ Flash 3in1 to play GBA games, and this combo works perfectly for every game I play barring Mother 3. When I first selected the game, it was automatically stored into NOR memory seeing as it's a 32mb game, which is what I expected. The game boots fine and saves flawlessly, but I keep having sound issues in various parts of the game. I've encountered a huge slowdown at the beginning during the naming process (the part where you confirm that everything is correct, and you hear a truck driving as the screen fades to black). That's the only time I've had a slowdown, so it isn't that much of an issue, but I keep having 'popping' noises throughout the game that's way too intrusive on the music. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the crackling noise, but it happens too often to be ignored.

I've tested the ROM (fan translated, v1.1) on VBA-M on my PC, and it works perfectly fine on here, but I'd rather play a handheld game on the system itself as it was intended.

Can anyone offer some advice, please? Thanks!
smile.gif

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The sound issues are due to the way they "sprite text welded" to allow more text per screen. Running an actual hardware causes this. The only way it would be fixed is to deal with engrish instead.

This issue has nothing to do with the 3in1 in general, but is a by-product of patching the rom.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I thought this was because of the heavy sound bank access while you hear barks, boys, and SFX effects.

And Mother 3 is one of those games which relies heavily on the GBA CPU.

KinGamer7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you all for the replies.

I've just the read the FAQ myself and saw that the slowdown was already answered, so I apologise for bringing it up. I didn't bother reading the FAQ because a quick Google search for "Mother 3 ez flash slowdown" or "Mother 3 popping sound" yielded nothing, so I assumed it was related to my hardware setup.

So, is the general consensus that I should just suck it up and deal with the noise crackling?

KinGamer7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just tried blowing the cartridge, and...well, it worked.
mellow.gif
There's no more sound popping at all right now; hopefully it will stay that way!

Thanks again for your help!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +2