Gaming Most up to date guide for SNES emulator for PSP?

quepaso

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that there is that newest SNES emulator that just came out. I tried it and its still slow for me. Is there a guide on what settings to use? All i do is change the cpu speed to 333 and also make it full screen. Games like TMNT Fighters lag on character select screen, in Mario All Stars, SMB2 lags a lot. I even tried grabbing a .DAT file and put it in the DATA directory, and when the games boot up, it says GAME FOUND, APPLYING SPEEDHACKS, but it still does the same crap as before.

Any help on how to get it going would be appreciated.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
themuddaload said:
yeah, for some reason snes emulation is quite difficult. iirc even pc emulators for snes dont work that great.

I would have to disagree. Snes emulator on PC is perfect, 100% compatibility.

The PSP however, is never gonna be perfect, last time I tried a snes rom on it, it was mario rpg and it had slow downs in so many places, it was barely unplayable. This coming from an emulator claiming to have mostly 99% compatibility.

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:
themuddaload said:
yeah, for some reason snes emulation is quite difficult. iirc even pc emulators for snes dont work that great.

The PSP however, is never gonna be perfect, last time I tried a snes rom on it, it was mario rpg and it had slow downs in so many places, it was barely unplayable. This coming from an emulator claiming to have mostly 99% compatibility.
Super Mario RPG is a special case since it has a SA-1 chip on-board for additional effects. As it stands, emulation of the base SNES on the PSP is pretty good, and most games never go beyond that. But for games like Star Fox and Super Mario RPG that use enhancement chips of any sort, the emulation isn't nearly as good. The PSP just isn't powerful enough to emulate that on top of the SNES; most of these enhancement chips were more powerful than the SNES itself.

Cavedude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the speed issues can simply be solved by messing around with the Framerate skip. Test it out with 1 or 2; just keep messing around with it until you find a suitable setting.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
themuddaload said:

Then it must have been a long time ago because I played Mario RPG from start to finish and it was great. Try tweaking the video settings.

And it does have excellent compatibility. I've only experienced a few with slowdown like Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart and Starfox.

I know that there is that newest SNES emulator that just came out. I tried it and its still slow for me. Is there a guide on what settings to use? All i do is change the cpu speed to 333 and also make it full screen. Games like TMNT Fighters lag on character select screen, in Mario All Stars, SMB2 lags a lot. I even tried grabbing a .DAT file and put it in the DATA directory, and when the games boot up, it says GAME FOUND, APPLYING SPEEDHACKS, but it still does the same crap as before.

Any help on how to get it going would be appreciated.
I don't have my PSP on me but it's not rocket science. Nearly everything should be working as-is. Set the clock speed to 333 mhz, otherwise games shouldn't even require frame skipping.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
themuddaload said:
umm, what exactly is the newest version? QJ.net's search function fails...

It's at psp-hacks.com. They just released a new version that has much improved speed, even with games that have addon chips. In fact, some people have reported that for games that don't rely on extra chips, you don't even need speedhacks anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: hiiii sisters