Most up to date guide for SNES emulator for PSP?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by quepaso, Oct 15, 2009.

Oct 15, 2009
  1. quepaso
    OP

Member quepaso GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I know that there is that newest SNES emulator that just came out. I tried it and its still slow for me. Is there a guide on what settings to use? All i do is change the cpu speed to 333 and also make it full screen. Games like TMNT Fighters lag on character select screen, in Mario All Stars, SMB2 lags a lot. I even tried grabbing a .DAT file and put it in the DATA directory, and when the games boot up, it says GAME FOUND, APPLYING SPEEDHACKS, but it still does the same crap as before.

Any help on how to get it going would be appreciated.

2. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    yeah, for some reason snes emulation is quite difficult. iirc even pc emulators for snes dont work that great.

3. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    I would have to disagree. Snes emulator on PC is perfect, 100% compatibility.

The PSP however, is never gonna be perfect, last time I tried a snes rom on it, it was mario rpg and it had slow downs in so many places, it was barely unplayable. This coming from an emulator claiming to have mostly 99% compatibility.

4. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

Super Mario RPG is a special case since it has a SA-1 chip on-board for additional effects. As it stands, emulation of the base SNES on the PSP is pretty good, and most games never go beyond that. But for games like Star Fox and Super Mario RPG that use enhancement chips of any sort, the emulation isn't nearly as good. The PSP just isn't powerful enough to emulate that on top of the SNES; most of these enhancement chips were more powerful than the SNES itself.

5. Cavedude

Member Cavedude GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Most of the speed issues can simply be solved by messing around with the Framerate skip. Test it out with 1 or 2; just keep messing around with it until you find a suitable setting.

6. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't have my PSP on me but it's not rocket science. Nearly everything should be working as-is. Set the clock speed to 333 mhz, otherwise games shouldn't even require frame skipping.

7. Satosan

Newcomer Satosan Member

South Africa
    A quick question, where do you find speed hacks for the emulator? I've been looking around and can't find any.

8. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    umm, what exactly is the newest version? QJ.net's search function fails...

9. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

It's at psp-hacks.com. They just released a new version that has much improved speed, even with games that have addon chips. In fact, some people have reported that for games that don't rely on extra chips, you don't even need speedhacks anymore.