PS1/2 Most efficient PS2 USB

niceme.me

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So my PS2 DVD drive is fairly dead, it sometimes reads sometimes doesnt, not very reliable anymore... This leaves me with USB... I know loadings and cutscene stuttering are gonna always be the thing but maybe its possible to minimize this bullshit by using some specific usb? Maybe I should look for some old 1.1 instead of just buying 2.0 or 3.0?

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
So my PS2 DVD drive is fairly dead, it sometimes reads sometimes doesnt, not very reliable anymore... This leaves me with USB... I know loadings and cutscene stuttering are gonna always be the thing but maybe its possible to minimize this bullshit by using some specific usb? Maybe I should look for some old 1.1 instead of just buying 2.0 or 3.0?
Use SMB.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I use SMB and OPL, which depending on your network is generally faster than a USB HDD. An internal HDD works as well, but it's advised to get the modified SATA version like above - SATA drives are basically faster in every respect.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no experience with SMB myself, but honestly, you would've been better off getting the network adapter for your fat ps2. It'll play most games you throw at it, without stuttering etc, not to mention, games load much faster than using the disc drive

niceme.me

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have no experience with SMB myself, but honestly, you would've been better off getting the network adapter for your fat ps2. It'll play most games you throw at it, without stuttering etc, not to mention, games load much faster than using the disc drive

cheapest one(and only one) i saw in polish c2c store was 50$, i got working ps2 slim with original controller for 10$ doe so not much to lose. hopefully performance gonna be bearable via ethernet or atleast ill be able to just play via dvd again.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its pretty simple once you get OPL running.

1. create an SMB share named PS2
2. inside that folder, create the folder structure (i believe capitalization matters here)
Code:
--- "CD" (for games on CD media - i.e. blue-bottom discs)
--- "DVD (for DVD5 images; DVD9 images on USB must be split)
--- "VMC" (for 8MB Virtual Memory Card images)
--- "CFG" (for saving per-game configuation files)
--- "ART" (for box and disc art images)
--- "THM" (for themes support)
3. i use FixIso to rename my ISO files
4. REMEMBER TO USE DVD OR CD FOLDER!! (this drove me nuts, if the game is not DVD, put it in the CD folder)
5. Set your OPL network settings to point at your PC

Even loading from WiFi using my shitty old laptop as a bridge was faster than my USB drive when playing DDR.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cheapest one(and only one) i saw in polish c2c store was 50$, i got working ps2 slim with original controller for 10$ doe so not much to lose. hopefully performance gonna be bearable via ethernet or atleast ill be able to just play via dvd again.
Ah ok, I didn't take you being in a different country/economy into account, that makes sense now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1