tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just in case anyone else has the same problem, this is the reply I got from the G6 team:

QUOTE said:
It is strange .
We have not met such problem before .

Saving help here .
When you save your game progress in any DS Game, the DS will write that to
its memory. When launching a new rom and saving, it will overwrite the previous
save, so normally you can never save more then 2 games at once. However,
thanks to the G6, you can backup each save file in the form of slots.
Each game has 2 basic save slots on the menu, where you can backup the data to after you're done playing. After you are done playing a game, save your progress like you normally would, and turn off your DS. Now restart your DS and select the last game you played. Don't launch it yet! Instead, press SELECT and a little backup menu should show up. Now select "Backup to slot 1", or take Slot 2 if you want mutliple saves and you can now launch another rom! Easy right? Always remember to correctly backup your save games so you don't lose hours of gameplay!

Regards
Danny

frown.gif

I don't see this being the issue....although I've known this since the beginning since g6 hasn't sorted out the auto saving when I first began to use it. The sram somehow isn't being flushed properly to his .0 save file. That's the problem. That or there's a problem loading the .0 save file when starting a game. Flukes, please let me know how you are flushing the sram. Does the beginning screen (automatically flushing the sram to save file feature) when you enter the menu of the g6 say it's loading please don't power off happen when you do a soft reset or when you physically turn your ds off and on? If both, then on the surface it looks like that part is working ok and your battery is fine. Now check the next thing, make sure your save files (.0, .1, .2) are properly named after the rom IN THE SAME FOLDER. The u-disk manager takes care of this for you but I want to make sure you didn't rename anything afterwards or did something funny in moving the files. After this all checks out, try to use the additional slots manually as Danny suggested to see if that works in saving your game. If not, the g6 is just defective and you should be looking for an exchange.

Flukes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't see this being the issue....although I've known this since the beginning since g6 hasn't sorted out the auto saving when I first began to use it. The sram somehow isn't being flushed properly to his .0 save file. That's the problem. That or there's a problem loading the .0 save file when starting a game. Flukes, please let me know how you are flushing the sram. Does the beginning screen (automatically flushing the sram to save file feature) when you enter the menu of the g6 say it's loading please don't power off happen when you do a soft reset or when you physically turn your ds off and on? If both, then on the surface it looks like that part is working ok and your battery is fine. Now check the next thing, make sure your save files (.0, .1, .2) are properly named after the rom IN THE SAME FOLDER. The u-disk manager takes care of this for you but I want to make sure you didn't rename anything afterwards or did something funny in moving the files. After this all checks out, try to use the additional slots manually as Danny suggested to see if that works in saving your game. If not, the g6 is just defective and you should be looking for an exchange.

Ok, if I was to answer your question a few days ago, I'd tell you; whenever I soft-reset or turned the DS off and on, I always get the "Processing data... keep power on!" message when I enter back into the menu. My save files are named properly and are in the same folder as the rom. I don't touch any of those files after the game manager writes them to the G6 Lite.

Now, this was true up until yesterday night. Last night, for the first time, I experienced the G6 Lite NOT giving me the "Processing data... keep power on!" message. I also experienced games actually telling me they're failing to save consistently. Even the GBA game saves had gone this time.

But today I turn on the DS and everything's seems to be sort of ok again... I'm getting the "Processing data... keep power on!" message and games are saving (until the next time they mysteriously vanish). This is such a strange problem.

I really appreciate your continued help tama_mog but I can only think that the G6 is defective, maybe the battery is loose or isn't keeping charge properly... I don't think there's an easy fix to this frustrating weirdness. I'll try doing what Danny suggested for a while, to see if I can backup and restore my saves to get round them being mysteriously wiped. But that doesn't help for games that refuse to save when playing.

Is the M3 Lite any more reliable? I'm seriously thinking of buying one now.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's really a hit and miss with the g6lite as you can tell from the reported problems. I personally experienced random corruption from my former g6 lite once and that was it for me, returned and used something else. I've been using g6 for a long time now, maybe almost a year (ever since 3rd gen g6 4 gigbit) so I know how to handle these carts well. I've never ran into a problem using all 3 of my m3 lites, both of my supercard lites, and my old trusty m3 sd. Still have yet to ran into any problems on both of my g6 3rd gens as well. But this is personal experience, there are defective units out there for all flashcarts....so good luck man. I'm sorry I couldn't help further. Let me know if something else weird comes up on your g6 lite.

Flukes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's really a hit and miss with the g6lite as you can tell from the reported problems. I personally experienced random corruption from my former g6 lite once and that was it for me, returned and used something else. I've been using g6 for a long time now, maybe almost a year (ever since 3rd gen g6 4 gigbit) so I know how to handle these carts well. I've never ran into a problem using all 3 of my m3 lites, both of my supercard lites, and my old trusty m3 sd. Still have yet to ran into any problems on both of my g6 3rd gens as well. But this is personal experience, there are defective units out there for all flashcarts....so good luck man. I'm sorry I couldn't help further. Let me know if something else weird comes up on your g6 lite.

Like I've said, I greatly appreciate all the help you've given so don't say things like you're sorry you couldn't help me further! You've already been amazingly helpful.

I'm going to try and contact both the G6 Lite makers and the reseller and get an exchange/refund. If I don't manage to get one, what do you recommend I buy next tama_mog? Try my luck with another G6 Lite, buy a M3 Lite or Supercard Lite?

I recently bought a mini sd card that I use for other stuff, so an M3 is worth thinking about possibly. Do you know if M3s suffer from the random corruption or wiped saves that some G6s seem to? Are they any more reliable on the whole? I haven't heard much about Supercard Lites at all...

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's really up in the air what you want, if homebrew is an important factor, I'd say go for the supercard lite, if gba support and prettier interface (though slower) is a factor, I'd go for the m3 lite. From what I've seen/read and personal experience, the m3 is pretty hard to corrupt unless you run homebrew that messes with the FAT structure. If fit is important, the m3 lite trumps the supercard lite in that as well....as well as color options if that's a factor. I'm very happy with both units so either way you can't go wrong, just depends on what you want. But I currently use the m3 lite as my main cart for both my ds's.

P.S. On a sidenote, you will need micro sd cards for both m3 lite and supercard lite. If you have a mini sd card, you'd be looking @ a m3 mini.

Flukes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been wanting to make an update to this thread for a long long time. After much emailing back and forth between me, the g6 lite makers and the original seller whom I bought the g6 lite from, I finally received a replacement g6 lite.

I've been playing on it quite extensively over the past week and no problems. Hopefully it stays that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY