Hacking Moonlight Vita Alpha Released!

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is it?
Moonlight is an app that lets people stream games from their PC using Nvidia's Shield streaming thing. It's available for Android/IOS/Amazon/Other PCs. They have a version for Chrome that's in development and an older version for Java (For PC/Mac/Linux I believe).

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmmm...Tell me more lol
It's kind of like the 3DS, but it runs Android and has a more controller feel to it, with two sticks and whatnot. It's pretty much a portable Android console, and I think it can do emulation pretty well, though I don't own one myself. Officially, it's called the "Nvidia Shield Portable" since Nvidia has a line of Shield Tablets and the Shield TV. It has a cloud based streaming service that's like Playstation Now also, and should work with Netflix and all that.

Reactions: Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SUPER HYPED!
Can't wait to play Witcher 3 via this :D

EDIT:
Controlls are not working on the ps vita? i thought input was supported?
if I touch some buttons moonlight will crash.....

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

VincentBeasley

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kind of like the 3DS, but it runs Android and has a more controller feel to it, with two sticks and whatnot. It's pretty much a portable Android console, and I think it can do emulation pretty well, though I don't own one myself. Officially, it's called the "Nvidia Shield Portable" since Nvidia has a line of Shield Tablets and the Shield TV. It has a cloud based streaming service that's like Playstation Now also, and should work with Netflix and all that.
Haha I know what a Nvidia Shield is. I was just wondering what you meant by "Nvidia's Shield streaming thing". Is it a separate program or is the shield itself required?

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Haha I know what a Nvidia Shield is. I was just wondering what you meant by "Nvidia's Shield streaming thing". Is it a separate program or is the shield itself required?

Basically it makes use of the built-in streaming abilities offered by the Nvidia GTX cards with an open-source program to stream your PC to any device, in this case the Vita.

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. XD I actually kind of forgot what I had typed before. It's built into Geforce Experience, but it has to be enabled if you're using GFE 3.0.
It requires a Nvidia GTX GPU anywhere from their 600 series up, 4GB of RAM, and Windows 7/8/10.
EDIT: Ninja'd. o:

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy hell that's awesome lol How would they remedy no mouse or keyboard on vita though?
Using the vita's buttons! I haven't used this particular one yet, because I only have a PSTV, and don't need this, but for games that have controller support, this should seem like regular controller input.

SonsofOcelot

Shalashaska
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I imagine the mouse could be supported either with touch screen or analog stick.

Or a combination of both. Just looked at the GitHub page and saw how to setup your local wifi server/pc but couldn't you figure out your actual IP and connect while not on local wifi. Like if I'm at school? Really hope someone picks this up or the dev gets more time. This is super promising

kftX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I gave it a whirl myself on my home network (tested game MK9):

• First I tried the 5000 kbps version, video was crisp but there was the 1-2 second lag mentioned by reddit user MonoAudioStereo
  • I then tried the 2000 kbps version, which worked much much better but I could tell the lag 1-2 frame lag the dev was talking about on his release thread on reddit. But otherwise very playable, the 30fps were getting to me tho :P
For a first effort this is simply amazing.

Last edited by kftX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...