Hacking Monster Hunter 4 Anti-Piracy

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess that's the reason why you aren't working at Gateway or Public Relations.

yup, :]... but thats not necessarily a bad thing. There's a fine line between public relations and knowing when to tell people to back off. People expect an update every second and constantly spout emails at them expecting miracles, which leads to them bitching and moaning (insert daily gbatemp thread about some gateway feature here) that clearly infuriates them. They even had to change the contacts page to say don't send technical/support questions to them, send them to the support forums. Like Pedeadstrian said, If people quit bothering them, their progress will happen quicker.

Reactions: NEP and porkiewpyne

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup, :]... but thats not necessarily a bad thing. There's a fine line between public relations and knowing when to tell people to back off. People expect an update every second and constantly spout emails at them expecting miracles, which leads to them bitching and moaning (insert daily gbatemp thread about some gateway feature here) that clearly infuriates them. They even had to change the contacts page to say don't send technical/support questions to them, send them to the support forums. Like Pedeadstrian said, If people quit bothering them, their progress will happen quicker.
Actually, I expect they have one or two people who do nothing but answer calls, emails, etc., so progress won't be affected. Still, they're human beings, and if I made a hack or whatnot and got several emails a day asking the same crap about compatibility, release date, etc., I'd be pretty pissed.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I expect they have one or two people who do nothing but answer calls, emails, etc., so progress won't be affected. Still, they're human beings, and if I made a hack or whatnot and got several emails a day asking the same crap about compatibility, release date, etc., I'd be pretty pissed.

Yea they do more then read emails and answer calls. As shown by them acknowledging emo kid 68's unexpected bonus of the GW installer, they clearly spend a fair amount of time in gaming forums (the temp at least) to see Public opinions. They also have to keep resellers updated on when their shipments should arrive (they arent given tracking numbers at least here in the US). Making flashcarts is like being drug dealers lol. They probably have 3 men stationed at the doors with machine guns just incase stuff pops off.

fanda.f

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Here's the response from gateway team to my mail.

4zj.png

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this has crossed my mind a couple of times. OR if Pokemon X/Y end up needing to connect to Wi-Fi sometime in the main storyline, we could possibly be screwed. However, I just don't see Nintendo going through this much hassle for something less than 1 percent of the population is using, or can use for that matter. I guess we'll see once it comes out, eh?

Yes....and remember...Nintendo has said over and over and over again that they will never require online connection or online DRM for single player mode/games. They have pretty much staked out that territory in the console wars because they want to be differentiated from the views of Microsoft and possible Sony. So don't expect any Nintnedo released game to require online for story player in this generation or maybe ever.....their philosophical views on this have been well reported on and were re-afirmed again at E3 this year when Shiggy said we see video games as 'toys' and would never want to build a product that prevents users from playing legacy games in the future when the servers go down or a company goes defunct.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokémon will be released in 3 weeks,
there is no chance Nintendo release an account system in this time.
Maybe, due to an update, older games end up using Nintendo account system, but it will probably need a game update and won't be necessary for the game.

I agree and also think because of the cartridge manufacturing lead time Pokemon is not going to have a lot of advanced AP in it.....They may use Nand though because the saving size and complexity may require it like AC did. Let's not forget that Mario Golf is also due to be out in the next few weeks.....

My guess is whatever gateway is working on in the way of Nand fix or AP fix they will hold back until these next few major releases come out. That way they can see what Nintendo's moves are and may already have worked a fix to counter them......then they release and wait to see what Nintendo implements in Zelda in November.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I agree and also think because of the cartridge manufacturing lead time Pokemon is not going to have a lot of advanced AP in it.....They may use Nand though because the saving size and complexity may require it like AC did. Let's not forget that Mario Golf is also due to be out in the next few weeks.....

My guess is whatever gateway is working on in the way of Nand fix or AP fix they will hold back until these next few major releases come out. That way they can see what Nintendo's moves are and may already have worked a fix to counter them......then they release and wait to see what Nintendo implements in Zelda in November.

Pokemon X
Code:
0000150: 43 54 52 2d 50 2d 45 4b 4a 50 00 00 00 00 00 00  CTR-P-EKJP......

the game Type Indicator has changed
from 3DSBrew.org
Type: Length=1, [A/C/H/J/S/P/T] - Retail / C is part of the default Serial 'CTAP' / H is used for built in applications like Mii Maker / J is for a normal eShop Title / S is usually a 3D Classics eShop title / P is used with GBA e-shop titles / T is used with NES e-shop titles.
"E" has not been documented
possibly this means could be using a new sort of game loader

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For all of you saying MH4 not working isn't anti-piracy, assuming what we've been told is true, there's an extra file (which is a text file containing a single character: zero). I can't see any point for that file other than to screw Gateway (or any flashcart) over.
How is something specifically created to prevent the game from being played on a pirate device NOT anti-piracy?

Edit: Ignore, I'm dumb.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pokemon X
Code:

from 3DSBrew.org

Looks like a new AP measure, I wonder how will it work,
I'm just waiting to see how many people will go complaining for Pokémon X and Y not working on their gateway cards.

Terry Lot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pokemon X
Code:

from 3DSBrew.org

We have seen 'E' before ~ Animal Crossing NL is the only example to date ~ maybe it means NAND ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: 😭