Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
jakob-and-notch-2-627x348.jpg

Swedish journalist Thomas Arnroth has talked to Jens Bergensten and Carl Manneh at Minecraft developers Mojang, for IT 24, and found out why Mojang won’t be at E3 this year.

The article focuses on the continued development of Minecraft, and the upcoming server solution that Mojang are working on to make things easier on the players, and perhaps generate a revenue stream even after everyone in the world has already bought the game (which point surely can’t be far off by now).

“I don’t think the Minecraft wave is over by a long shot,” says CEO Carl Manneh, “but the market will be saturated eventually. Since Minceraft is a game you pay for once, and then always have access to no matter how many updates and changes we release, we have to look at new ways to make money in the long run.”

“This is both a way to make life easier for the players and for us to guarantee that the hosting solution is of a good quality, and in the long run generate some money through a subscription model. This service won’t be free, and it’s not unthinkable that it will be an important source of revenue going forward,” Manneh says.

Mojang has gone from indie upstart to major player, with its 6 million Minecraft players. But they won’t be at E3 this year. Carl Manneh explains why: “The organization behind the convention support the SOPA initiative in the US. We are against it, and have no wish to support those who support SOPA, it’s as simple as that. So we’re not going.”

:arrow: Source

Reactions: 1 person

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Mojang: HEY EVERYONE, LOOK AT US, HEY, EVERYONE, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY, WE'RE STILL RELEVANT RIGHT? HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 13 people

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Who's Mojang? ...Oh, right. Minecraft. Meh. I doubt anyone going to E3 is going to lose any sleep over this. When they sell games, at least they're the finished product.

Oh, I like the sneaky little "we're going to introduce a subscription service to Minecraft" they hid in there. See? Even after you buy something, you can always expect someone to find some way to charge you more. It clearly doesn't matter if they're Capcom or indie developers. They're all the same.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted User

Minecraft is the best game ever, you can build blocks and tame dogs... And um...

I don't know why, but Notch and his old crew seem have been doing stupid crap these past few years.

D

Deleted-188346

Also, they have to find ways to make money in the long run? Don't they have like one hundred gorillion dollars anyway?
They do have a lot of money supposedly, but you'd think that if they made a Minecraft "expansion" to update the graphics, gameplay, hire (much) more staff, and not use Java, they'd make one gorillion gorillion dollars.

Does anybody here care about Scrolls or 0x10c? I don't.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, they have to find ways to make money in the long run? Don't they have like one hundred gorillion dollars anyway?
They do have a lot of money supposedly, but you'd think that if they made a Minecraft "expansion" to update the graphics, gameplay, hire (much) more staff, and not use Java, they'd make one gorillion gorillion dollars.

So people would buy stuff that should have been in the original game anyway? God I love Minetards.

Scrolls just seemed dumb and 0x10c, if I read it right, sounds like a stupid concept. It's like a game where you can design your own game or something. But isn't that their job? Basically I'm paying them for me to do their job. Make an excellent game that I want to play, don't give me a platform so I have to make the game. If I really had interest in that field of game development I'd just make my own games already.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Actually I'm very excited about 0x10c! Being a programmer I'm really looking forward to put my programming skills into space!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I'm very excited about 0x10c! Being a programmer I'm really looking forward to put my programming skills into space!

But... like... you could just program your own stuff without paying monthly fees...

Not to mention there's gonna be so many Minecraft players who will mindless buy into 0x10c and realize it's not for them. They appear to be appealing to a very niche audience that the base of Minecraft won't transfer over to. I expect them to report huge opening subscriptions and that number to drop harshly soon after.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1