ROM Hack Discussion Mods & LayeredFS

jonyluke

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Welcome!
So Many threads right now are dedicated to playing backups and how to get that setup with LayeredFS. However, I was someone who was really looking forward to modding my games, as it's a hobby of mine that I've always enjoyed doing. In this thread, I will go over what games I've tried to mod, and my results with them. Feedback would be great as well as any mods that you have successfully been able to run.

Can't get past Switch boot screen. Crashes with error code 2011-0301
Can't get past Switch boot screen. Crashes with error code 2011-0301
Can't get past Switch boot screen. Stuck in an loop
Was able to get mods to launch by switching my exefs folder and data.rsdk back to their 1.0 counterparts. Mods run well.View attachment 132733 (Mod used by Puyo&SonicFAN https://gamebanana.com/skins/162891)
Certain mods work, tried to replace Inkling Girls files with the base game files (where she has the "Up Yours" taunt), but it failed to replace it. However, using this mod here: https://gamebanana.com/skins/163678 (All credit to Hallow and who he credited) I was able to get results.View attachment 132498
However, some tracks wil cause a flicker on him, some work fine, and he just doesn't show up for others. I've included the file If you'd like to test it yourself.
https://gamebanana.com/tools/6402
Link to the script I used (KillzXGaming made it)

In Conclusion, I hope you've found this thread Helpful, Inspiring, Informative, etc., and am looking forward to some great mods by the community.]

P.S. If you get any error using LayeredFS, MAKE SURE TO CLEAR YOUR LOGS. SciresM said he uses custom errors in order to debug his work.

About the Metal Sonic Mod of Mario kart 8, i made the port to Nintendo switch from Wii U.
https://gamebanana.com/skins/165607

Last edited by jonyluke,

supermariorick

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I started extracting the base game + game update romfs for Dragon Ball FighterZ Nintendo Switch and I ended up with this large 6 gigabyte .pak file. After doing some research into PC version .pak extraction tools I managed to extract this file and lo and behold it contains pretty much near the same files as the PC version and even has .ini config files with boolean scripts used to determine whether things are on or off with true and false statements. There's even a setting to turn off EasyAntiCheat for PVP Online much like the setting on the PC version. I even found the file that contains a listing of DLC and unreleased exclusive DLC with numbers telling which number entitlement key activates which DLC for the game. There was even a listing named "Xenoverse" in reference to the Japanese PS4 exclusive Supreme Kai of Time Chronoa lobby avatar (only officially obtainable on PS4 in Japan if you also have Xenoverse 2 on the same console) which apparently has assets in all console versions. It may be completely possible to use mods on this game and I am figuring out the structure so perhaps PC version mods can be used for this game assuming the files are similar enough and a workaround can be found. Expect some mild reverse engineering.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any sort of official place for where people are sharing mods and such? I saw a few on Gamebanana per one person's almost spammy suggestions in another topic, but it has very few Switch games indeed and most stuff there doesn't seem to be updated all that often. I thought the Linkle mod for BOTW was pretty cool (and the weapon durability mod was downright necessary -- frankly Nintendo should have increased durability with patch 1...) But I'd like to see more mods for more games.

If not a website, what about a Discord?

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you launch layeredfs???

you don't "launch" layeredfs per se, but once it is activated(depending on cfw, youll have different requirements to activate), It checks the directory for a game titleID for mods and applies them when you launch the game with that ID

Meg1322

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't "launch" layeredfs per se, but once it is activated(depending on cfw, youll have different requirements to activate), It checks the directory for a game titleID for mods and applies them when you launch the game with that ID
How do you activate it then, I’ve been trying to search it up but can’t really find something to help out lol

SaltyF

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to do some skyrim modding on the switch... I have made pc skyrim mods before...

I have a 3.0.0 firmware switch - i tried to download skyrim, but it wanted me to update the console in order to do so (I didn't).

Can I use layered fs to mod a cartridge version of skyrim?

Last edited by SaltyF,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all.. Does anyone know a site to download Mods? IDK if they host any questionable files so I am not sure if we can share the URL... I am only finding 2 forums and its all BOTW.. I want to see what other hacks there are for other games. Any input? Just found the gameb_____a....

Last edited by mikefor20,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Woke