Votes: 13 8.8%

• Total voters

Jazz926

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Guys,

Just picked up a new Black Nintedo Wii with Firmware 4.2E for my younger brother as a birthday present, lol so I'm new here and to the whole Wii scene.

I have basically follow this guide to soft mod my Wii.

I'm pretty sure I have done everything correctly, but NeoGamma does not load my back up Games on a disk, it giving me an Unknown Drive error or something like that.

Can anyone help me out at all?

Any help or tips are much appreciated

Thanks.

harveychan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jazz926 said:
Hey Guys,

Just picked up a new Black Nintedo Wii with Firmware 4.2E for my younger brother as a birthday present, lol so I'm new here and to the whole Wii scene.

I'm pretty sure I have done everything correctly, but NeoGamma does not load my back up Games on a disk, it giving me an Unknown Drive error or something like that.

Thanks.
proble the new d2-3 drive it wont play backups at all .usb hdd loading only

Jazz926

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
harveychan said:
Jazz926 said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm seriously stump at the moment, I have follow the entire process and the game won't load from my 8gb USB Flash Drive as well.

Also just another quick question, if I wanted to remove all the Soft Mod I have done so far, and make it a "Virgin" Wii like its brand new out of the box, what would be the easiest and least dangerous way of doing it without getting it brick?

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jazz926 said:
harveychan said:
Jazz926 said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm seriously stump at the moment, I have follow the entire process and the game won't load from my 8gb USB Flash Drive as well.

Also just another quick question, if I wanted to remove all the Soft Mod I have done so far, and make it a "Virgin" Wii like its brand new out of the box, what would be the easiest and least dangerous way of doing it without getting it brick?

First, see here that the game works with usb loaders. If it says it is supported, check the backup loader forum section, and post in the main thread for whatever usb loader you are using. Second, here is the link to "revirginize" a wii. But this is ONLY to be done if you NEVER want to mod it again.

-Eik

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
re-virginizing a wii is pointless

once a wii is modded, there is nothing u can do to hide that fact from nintendo

if u just want to give it to some1 else as a virgin wii, don't bother going through the revirginizing process. All u have to do is uninstall any custom channels u have (including the HBC), uninstall priiloader if its installed. You can even leave bootmii and cIOSs installed, as the new owner wont know they're there

WARNING: your wii is safer with apps like the HBC, bootmii and priiloader installed. Virgin wii's are safe due to abstinence, modded wii's just practice safe sex (ie. use protection!)
wink.gif

edit: u may want to also uninstall darkcorp if its installed, so that the new owner can still receive/install official ninty updates (if they choose to be so stupid)

kingofgamesgx

Hitokiri Battousai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riley said:
kingofgamesgx said:
quick question but before i can get to it i got alittle to explain ok i got my wii ages ago (90% sure i can get bootmii as boot2) and i have been looking into modding it i am gonna follow this guide but before i mod it im looking over alot of stuff (ISO's VC wads Etc) and looking over a topic about VC wads it says this "You may need IOS 53, 55 and 56 installed to run some of these games" now my wii is 4.2U if i mod it with this guide would i already have those IOS or would i still need to install them via a wad manager?

also alittle info about those 3 IOS would be nice

(sorry if its a noob question but i am rather new to wii modding)

You have all the IOS's installed that you need already if you followed the update to 4.2 step. VC Games need certain IOS to run.

im not following that step as im already on 4.2U so i would just use the mod step,but i have played a few real wiiware and 1 virtual console games before (if it matters i got pokemon snap and pokemon ranch ages ago) so IDK if i would have the IOS some info on those 3 IOS would be nice

Jazz926

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies guys.

Since my Wii is soft modded, and say a few month time when I purchase a game which comes with Firmware 4.3 and it auto install, what would happened to the Wii?

would it be brick?

Also, I got a feeling why my soft mod isn't working is that I might have installed cIOS incorrectly.

Also, in regards to removing the STUB ISO 222,224 and etc, I assume I will need to remove them in order for the mod to work?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jazz926 said:

Since my Wii is soft modded, and say a few month time when I purchase a game which comes with Firmware 4.3 and it auto install, what would happened to the Wii?

would it be brick?

Also, I got a feeling why my soft mod isn't working is that I might have installed cIOS incorrectly.

Also, in regards to removing the STUB ISO 222,224 and etc, I assume I will need to remove them in order for the mod to work?
Installing 4.3 will currently delete Bootmii/IOS, DVDX, and the HBC and will overwrite most cIOS's. And yes, you do need to remove those stubs.

Jazz926

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gordinio said:
Jazz926 said:

would it be brick?

Installing 4.3 will currently delete Bootmii/IOS, DVDX, and the HBC and will overwrite most cIOS's. And yes, you do need to remove those stubs.

Mate, thanks for the prompt reply, and it is much appreciated.

Since I already done the soft mod, and it ain't working.

Is there a way to do the entire soft mod process from scratch again?

Also I'm sorry about asking so many questions, as I'm new to the whole Wii and soft modding scene. Have always been legit lol.

Also I would like to say a big thank you to every one here for helping me out so far.

Evil-Popeye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yes you can start the guide again if you need to. Most likely your problem is that you didn't install the cIOS properly or you did not set up your HDD properly to work with USB loader. You could try Xflak's auto-downloader and follow is guide to setup HDD's, otherwise you either didn't install the cIOS's correctly or your HDD is not supported.

Jazz926

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Evil-Popeye said:
Yes you can start the guide again if you need to. Most likely your problem is that you didn't install the cIOS properly or you did not set up your HDD properly to work with USB loader. You could try Xflak's auto-downloader and follow is guide to setup HDD's, otherwise you either didn't install the cIOS's correctly or your HDD is not supported.

Hmm ok.

I'll give it another go tonight.

It wasn't an ISO, the game was put in an NTFS USb flash drive and the game was a WBFS file.

Are the Hermes cIOS correct?

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do this, follow the guide EXACTLY as in the videos. Make SURE that you don't get ANY errors. If you don't, then something is not correct with your usb drive/loader.

-Erik

Jazz926

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
burritoboy9984 said:
Do this, follow the guide EXACTLY as in the videos. Make SURE that you don't get ANY errors. If you don't, then something is not correct with your usb drive/loader.

-Erik

I think my USB flash drive should be set up correctly. Since I'm Using USBloader GX, it supports both FAT32 and NTFS file system.

I formatted my USB to an FAT32 file system and created an wbfs folder, and place the game inside that wbfs folder.

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you follow the guide correctly? VERY VERY minimal. As with anything, there is always SOME risk. I had modded ~200 wii's. Never had a single one brick. As long as you are careful, you will be fine.

-Erik

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jazz926 said:
Evil-Popeye said:

Hmm ok.

It wasn't an ISO, the game was put in an NTFS USb flash drive and the game was a WBFS file.

Jazz926 said:
QUOTE(burritoboy9984 @ Jul 20 2010, 02:42 AM)

-Erik

I think my USB flash drive should be set up correctly. Since I'm Using USBloader GX, it supports both FAT32 and NTFS file system.

I formatted my USB to an FAT32 file system and created an wbfs folder, and place the game inside that wbfs folder.

Which is it? Did you use ntfs or fat? Have you re-done the guide yet?

-Erik

Jazz926

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
burritoboy9984 said:
Jazz926 said:
Evil-Popeye said:

Hmm ok.

Jazz926 said:
QUOTE(burritoboy9984 @ Jul 20 2010, 02:42 AM)

-Erik

Which is it? Did you use ntfs or fat? Have you re-done the guide yet?

-Erik

Hi Mate,

Nah I haven't got around to re-doing the soft mods.

I have tried placing the Game on two different flash drive, one was formatted as FAT32 and the other was NTFS. No luck with both.

cooltech

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Guys, I am a pure newbie to this stuff... I bought my wii for my 7 yr old son a few years ago, its been working fine, but the new games that keep coming out dont work, i just get a white blank screen.

Ver 3.2U, it was bought with a wii key modchip i think.. not much other stuff on it.. just want to keep my son happy and have it work for the new games..

So where do i need to go to get this thing working and not bricked???

all the info i need to read and files...

thanks..

this site ROCKS!!

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cooltech said:
Hello Guys, I am a pure newbie to this stuff... I bought my wii for my 7 yr old son a few years ago, its been working fine, but the new games that keep coming out dont work, i just get a white blank screen.

Ver 3.2U, it was bought with a wii key modchip i think.. not much other stuff on it.. just want to keep my son happy and have it work for the new games..

So where do i need to go to get this thing working and not bricked???

all the info i need to read and files...

thanks..

this site ROCKS!!

Just follow the guide on page 1.

-Erik

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: