• Total voters

beg152

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
beg152 said:
i had a virgin wii 4.2E. i soft modded it using xxzero guide to modify 4.2. now i want to install preloader on it.initially i do not have any version of it on my wii.what are the necessary steps involved.should i just install or are there some pre requisites to it thanks

make sure u've installed IOS70patchedfreethebugs.wad, then go ahead and install preloader 0.29 JODI or preloader 0.30 (this is still in the beta stages, so unless u have bootmii installed as boot2, hold off on the new preloader). You also need IOS36 to be patched, but presumably u've already done that by following xzxero's guide and using TBR

is system 4.2 not installed on iso 70?.can i still patch it.thanks for reply.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
beg152 said:
is system 4.2 not installed on iso 70>.can i still patch it.thanks for reply.

4.2 is installed on IOS70, which is why it needs to be patched. The 0.29 preloader installer auto-patches IOS60 (because that was the system menu IOS when 0.29 came out). So for preloader to run properly on 4.2, u need to install ios70patchedfreethebugs.wad using wad manager (dop ios wont work) first.

Posts merged

QUOTE(st90 @ Oct 14 2009, 07:02 PM) ok thanks I have 4 modchips just don't want to install anymore since I messed up 2 wiis out of the 10 i comlpeted

try updating again before installing a chip, it should replace cIOSCORP's cIOSs with sane ones.

beg152

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks a lot xflak for your help.one last question is preloader is the only software through which i can restore a bricked wii since i have installed bootmii as ios as it was the only option available to me.

st90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it just tells me it can't update any more. do you happen to have files for bootmii so i can transfer them to my sd card and see if it will still load up

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
st90 said:
it just tells me it can't update any more. do you happen to have files for bootmii so i can transfer them to my sd card and see if it will still load up

did u install bootmii as boot2 or as an IOS?

Either way, if u updated through nintendo to 4.2, it should remove both of these anyways... but since it didn't remove cioscorp... maybe it's still there (if u installed as boot2, if its installed as IOS, its impossible to get to without homebrew or preloader). So tell me if u installed it as boot2 or as IOS.

Also, make sure you're using the latest hackmii installer (v0.6).

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
beg152 said:
thanks a lot xflak for your help.one last question is preloader is the only software through which i can restore a bricked wii since i have installed bootmii as ios as it was the only option available to me.

yes, but be careful, preloader doesn't make u 100% brickproof like bootmii as boot2 (and even that is removed in ninty updates, so dont update). Preloader will be uninstalled if u ever install a new system menu wad after having installed preloader... so it's easy to uninstall it by accident if u dont know what ur doing. If u ever need to install a system menu wad, be sure to re-install preloader afterwards.

Czeko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi! i've read somewhere else that its not safe to downgrade IOS in a LU64+ Boot2v4 Wii, yet its one of the steps of this guide. Is it truly safe to follow this guide?

Ill be getting my wii today, and wanted to know if I should follow this guide, seeing as it has been recently updated.

Thanks in advance.

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Czeko said:
Hi! i've read somewhere else that its not safe to downgrade IOS in a LU64+ Boot2v4 Wii, yet its one of the steps of this guide. Is it truly safe to follow this guide?

Ill be getting my wii today, and wanted to know if I should follow this guide, seeing as it has been recently updated.

Thanks in advance.

it's not safe to downgrade the firmware on LU64+. Downgrading the ios for this install method has been tried, and works. follow the directions for your system and firmware down to the letter don't skip any step and don't try to combine those steps with those of a different tutorial. oh, and read up on preloader if you are thinking of installing preloader on your system.

screwx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
iamwally said:
Got ROOT!

unable to read ticket, aborting mission

I have a Wii that came back from Nintendo updated to System Menu 4.2 and Boot2v4 after a full brick and I keep getting this message when trying to install Preloader 3.0 (Even when using Hold B & "+")
I really want to get Preloader installed since Hackmii can't do a Boot2 install.

I did everything on the guide as of last night. This includes all the Trucha Bugs and IOS70 "Free The Bug" Wad.

Wii system menu says 4.2U, HBC is running on IOS61 v21.29 and I can't really think of anything else.

Any help would be awesome!

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
Let this be a lesson to all the cIOSCORP users out there, cIOSCORP screws people up!

-well, i hate the bring the bearer of bad news, but without bootmii, preloader or homebrew, there is no way (as far as I know) to install a sane IOS via wad manager or dopIOS.

-what confuses me is that updating to 4.2 did not replace your IOSs (and effectively remove cIOSCORP). I would try updating again (if possible), it should update your IOSs, allowing you to run hackmii installer. If you can't update via nintendo because ur already at 4.2.... u may have to wait until a 4.3 update to remove cIOSCORP and rehack ur wii. The only other solution would be getting a mod chip... but ew... who wants a mod chip?

Again, these are my thoughts, not facts, but i'm confident in them... so good luck.
you can load homebrew through bannerbomb. cioscorp was not overwritten becasue its version numbers are maxed out so the update did not touch the IOS's
he can try to load something to install a clean IOS 30

QUOTE(st90 @ Oct 14 2009, 11:02 AM) ok thanks I have 4 modchips just don't want to install anymore since I messed up 2 wiis out of the 10 i comlpeted
if your getting those results, you shouldnt be wii hacking at all.

bsmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am following the guide for my 4.1u Wii and I have question about this step:

3] Run Dop-IOS MOD
Choose IOS249 and press A.
Press right until you see IOS60.
Press - to select then press yes to install and Sig Hash Check.
Press right until you see IOS61.
Press A to select then press yes to install and no for Sig Hash Check.
Press home to return to HBC.

I just did the press right until you see ios61
pressed a to select...

My question is this, I understand from previous posts that this guide is totally offline (sd based). I downloaded mod.rar and my card is setup correctly but when I did that 2nd part of step 3 it download something from the network instead of using what's on the sd card. Did I do something wrong? When the step completed the screen says the currently installed ios61 is v5405.

st90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
do you know what i can tri to load to put a clean ios 30 I think the only thing i can do right now is bannerbomb. I might end up buying a new modchip just to fix it but if i can get it to work without one i would like that I have 2 other wiis. I'm going to work on one of them untill i get a fix

st90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
st90 said:
ok thanks I have 4 modchips just don't want to install anymore since I messed up 2 wiis out of the 10 i comlpeted
if your getting those results, you shouldnt be wii hacking at all.

I just got solder where I shouldn't have and i was moding with d2c keys don't have the time to fix the solder job but it is fixable I know what I'm doing. I'm just tring to get my wiis uptodate on everything and I havn't been around inawhile and there are lots of new things to me going on tring to pick it all up as fast as i can

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
st90 said:
do you know what i can tri to load to put a clean ios 30 I think the only thing i can do right now is bannerbomb. I might end up buying a new modchip just to fix it but if i can get it to work without one i would like that I have 2 other wiis. I'm going to work on one of them untill i get a fix
i have an extra drivekey i never use.
PM me if you want to buy it for cheap!

bsmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bsmonkey said:
I am following the guide for my 4.1u Wii and I have question about this step:

3] Run Dop-IOS MOD
Choose IOS249 and press A.
Press right until you see IOS60.
Press - to select then press yes to install and Sig Hash Check.
Press right until you see IOS61.
Press A to select then press yes to install and no for Sig Hash Check.
Press home to return to HBC.

After doing some digging I was able to refine my question. Is the guide correct when it says to press A to select ios61 (which in my case downloaded and installed v5405) OR should it read press - to select (which would install v4890 from the sd card)? I'm waiting for an answer to continue. Thanks.

Sketter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had that ticket issue a few people were talking about.
used .29 JODI and installed fine.

When try to update it within the preloader it just hangs on "updating change log..."

So then i used preloader 30 right after, and it installed fine, but then after the 5 secs wait, it puts me back to HBC, it does it every time i try to run 30 from the HBC.

When i turn on the wii it auto shuts down to standby.

I have looked at the sets and everything is set to systemmenu. So i don't know why it does this.

Had to hold reset and power to get back to its menu. (kinda scared me, doing this on a 64+, thought i had a brick)

So i downgraded back to .29

Anyone else having/experiencing with these symptoms?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...