CroTech9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi all, newbie here.

I have done several mods on V1, V2 but this was my 1st time doing OLED. After installing PicoFly I was happy to see "Insert SD card" and Raspberry logo, I inserted the microSD turned on the console, booted into Hekate and then after fully assembling the Switch, it only booted into OFW, with Raspberry pico LED blinking reporting DAT0 is not present, also OFW would occasionally stop working and had to unplug and replug the battery. Later on, it stopped booting completely. I was correct to suspect a cracked joint under the eMMC, but was not expecting a missing pad on the PCB :unsure:
board.JPG

My question is, if I happen to somehow reball the eMMC chip and put it back, would it still boot? I tried looking for the datasheet but can't seem to find any that shows if this is just another GND point, or is it something of importance on that tiny pad.

Thanks, everybody! I appreciate your insights.

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
What did you do on dat0 initially to get "insert SD CARD'. adapter or what?
missing pad is NC= not connected, so just ignore it but your VSSQ area looks messy might need some solder mask to cover up exposed spot.
FYI what data0 resistor value do you have on the picofly you installed?

Attachments

• 1695575554188.png
    1695575554188.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: CroTech9

CroTech9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
What did you do on dat0 initially to get "insert SD CARD'. adapter or what?
missing pad is NC= not connected, so just ignore it but your VSSQ area looks messy might need some solder mask to cover up exposed spot.
FYI what data0 resistor value do you have on the picofly you installed?
Thanks for the advice.

Initially, I used the Ali Express DAT0 adapter, but I believe I applied too much pressure on it while inserting, causing the balls to crack. Anyways, that's my theory.

I will clean up the VSSQ area, and reball as soon as I get the stencil for reball.

DAT0 resistor is 47 Ohms, and measures at exactly 47 with my Fluke DVM.

To be honest I thought I caused non-repairable damage once I lifted the eMMC and stopped further work.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you already desoldered the emmc chip, you might as well solder an enamelled magnet wire directly to dat0 pad before you put back the emmc chip. No need to mess with emmc adapters.

CroTech9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Since you already desoldered the emmc chip, you might as well solder an enamelled magnet wire directly to dat0 pad before you put back the emmc chip. No need to mess with emmc adapters.
Good point! Those were my thoughts as soon as I took it off, to be honest, getting that tiny wire soldered to that pad took me like 20 minutes, and gave me a back pain. Still managed to pull off a nice joint, and immediately went in and put some solder mask and Kapton tape to hold it in place.

CroTech9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi guys,

After reballing and reflowing the emmc, there is no power at all on the switch. Draws 0 amps from the charger, and does not light up the screen. I am just gonna call it quits as I don't have much experience with them. I did not do any reballing and troubleshooting since the x360 days.

Is there anybody here that can do a mail-in service, and is in or close to Ireland?

I would like to get it fixed and moded, hwfly or pico. Thanks

CroTech9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
So I ended up contacting a guy from Kilarney, CO. Kerry and he has done a tremendous job. Fixed everything and moded using my RP2040.

And yes, i did brake some bga balls when inserting that sketchy DAT0 adapter.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I ended up contacting a guy from Kilarney, CO. Kerry and he has done a tremendous job. Fixed everything and moded using my RP2040.

And yes, i did brake some bga balls when inserting that sketchy DAT0 adapter.
u cannot break the solder joints with those adapter that is not possible u cant put that much force on the solder balls with a dat0 adapter.

if u used a 0.1 mm enameld wire did u flaten it befor solder it on to the emmc?
where did u put the solder mask ? right above the dat0 pin ?
i bet the emmc didnt sit properly and that is why u had 0 amp draw.

if u ever do that again just use solder repair pads thats the best thing to do on permanent dat0 adapters.

Glad to he got it fixed for u :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I sank most my tokens and quarters in this game when I was a kid. A classic.