Modding an Xbox with a Broken Disk Drive

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A long while ago, I was trying to mod a friend's xbox that had a broken disk drive. I tried for quite some time to get it working but was never able too. He recently gave it to me for me to keep and I thought i would give it another try. I accepted the fact that the disk drive was broken and tried looking for a different solution. From what I can see, there is a way to mod an xbox with a broken disk drive but it's quite complicated. As to whether y'all are familiar with such techniques, I'm not too sure so let me share with you what I know.

I've been following a tutorial on youtube (Yes I know, video tutorials are not the greatest) and at around 2:39, he uses xplorer 360 to recognize his hard drive from the xbox. My problem is that my computer can recognize the drive (it is being powered by the xbox and is plugged into my computer via a IDE2USB adapter) but xplorer360 says that it can't find a FATX drive.

So this is where I am. I guess my final question is, is this even possible or am I on a fools errand?

Side note: I booted up my other Xbox and I all of a sudden have like less than 1MB of space on the C partition of the Drive. How did that happen, and what can I clear up on it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Eh.. it could be that the drive isn't properly hotswapped.
You could use the drive from your other xbox to boot a disc to install the softmod.

As for the 1MB of free space.
You sure you didn't store backups on C?
If needed, I could give you a clean hacked C drive (UnleashX is installed)
You can simply fire up a FTP program, delete the contents of your C drive (don't touch your xbox) and copy the contents of the freshly hacked C drive to your C drive.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh.. it could be that the drive isn't properly hotswapped.
You could use the drive from your other xbox to boot a disc to install the softmod.

As for the 1MB of free space.
You sure you didn't store backups on C?
If needed, I could give you a clean hacked C drive (UnleashX is installed)
You can simply fire up a FTP program, delete the contents of your C drive (don't touch your xbox) and copy the contents of the freshly hacked C drive to your C drive.
I guess I forgot to mention that my disk drive on my other system died about a month ago. I tried plugging it into the unmodified xbox and sadly it still refuses to read a disk. But as of now, I can't get it to read a disk on my softmodded xbox.
As far as hot swapping goes, I've been poking around on the se7ensins forums trying to find a solution. I haven't found anything concrete yet. I'm not ready to give up on this xbox yet, but i certainly don't want to pay for a new disk drive.

As for the C drive. Sure, I would love to have a clean C drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.