Modding a PS2 in 2016

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by link491, Jun 27, 2016.

1. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Hey all,

So I picked up an original model PS2 at Value Village today, and I looked into modding the thing so I can reap the benefits of that. Upon checking out this forum, the guide for it appears to be pretty outdated, having been last updated in 2008. So my question to you guys before I track down the components necessary to perform that mod is as follows; Are there any more updated ways to hack my PS2?

Thanks everybody,
    -link491

2. Returnofganon

Returnofganon I pretend like I know what I'm talking about

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Nope. AFAIK hacks for older consoles dont change that much because they don't have updates. As long as it is a fat ps2 you should just follow a tutorial.

3. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
  4. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Dr.Hacknik likes this.
  5. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Just want to add, if you have the newest model of the ps2 slim, the 9000 model, than the only way to mod it is with a modchip. Just wanted to say that since you did not mention what model of ps2 you have.

6. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Did I not? It's one of these, which afaik is an original model:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

7. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
  8. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014
    Swap Magic, and Codebreaker + Action Replay through codes can boot homebrew from usb and memory card.
    Though swap magic is the prefered method without codes, I had it setup a few years back loading the fmcb elf.

cvskid likes this.
  9. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Sliter likes this.
  10. IAmLeggings

IAmLeggings Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    United States
    Tampa, Florida
    There's pretty much 3 options.
    1. Get a mod chip (can be expensive ($30 usd) /annoying)
    2. Buy a pre-modded memcard (easiest option, cost around $10,but have some small disadvantages compared to a modchip)
    3. Mod your own memcard (most fun method, but I'm a big diy guy. Requires an old gift card you can cut, an original copy of one of some 10 or so ps2 games, and a blank DVD you can burn.) Takes some time, but if you already have one of the games and a memcard it's free.

11. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Do you have any information on how I would go about modding the memory card? I've got an extra one knocking around from my old PSX, and I've always been a fan of diy projects, especially since I have some time right now.

12. IAmLeggings

IAmLeggings Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    United States
    Tampa, Florida
    Well before getting too far into it, do you have any retail ps2 games? Because if not, or you don't have one that's exploitable, it is likely going to cost right around the same to buy the disk, as it is to buy the memcard.

13. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    In that case, I'll just take the time to track down some of the games form the list of exploitable ones, since I currently only have a small collection of PSX games.

14. lucks

lucks Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2015
    Canada
    FreeMcBoot + esr is the best option
    Look for the official source!
    No solder, no sh*** in ps2.

You can buy a ps2 usb memory adapter and install fmb or you can buy swap magic and use it to install fmb

Chips and swap discs may kill the lens.

Anyway hw mods are not recommed if there s a sw mod!

15. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Fat PS2? Easiest way to mod it is to get the network adapter, hard drive and find the hard disk image that's pre-modded. From there you install FMCB on the hard drive and there you have a modded PS2

As for the hard drive image, Google is your friend

Catastrophic likes this.
  16. IAmLeggings

IAmLeggings Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    United States
    Tampa, Florida
    Well, the most commonly used game is 007 agent under fire, for other games I'd suggest you look through this forum thread:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/ps2-game-swap-trick-list-submissions-62295/

You'd be doing a swap trick, I suggest the least invasive method, where you only need to take off the front door of the ps2 (comes off super easy, no need to mess with the housing).
    And the gba temp guide found here :
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/freemcboot-faq-install-guide.292229/

Is actually quite good.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That is true, given you have a network adapter, compatible ide hardrive (which I would suggest either way for game loading), and a way to read said ide drive.

17. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Yeah HDD is the best way to go for the most part. Fast load times and no disks required. Just remember that unless you find an IDE HDD that's both good and compatible you're going to need an IDE to SATA adapter and maybe a bit of shitmix to set it up.

IAmLeggings likes this.
  18. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    For a fat model using an IDE HDD is the best way to go as it reads faster and has better compatibility with games than USB on all counts. You can also mod the console without FMCB or FHDB by using the HDDOSD method and copying over an image from an already modded PS2 HDD.(several are available for download online)

Here is the compatibility list for PS2 IDE HDDs. It's pretty much the same format as the original xbox HDD list so if you know how to navigate that one you'll be ok.

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

Last edited by Daggot, Jun 27, 2016
  19. Red9419

Red9419 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2014
    I personally used Agent Under Fire. I got it for around 5$ on eBay. Although a HDD seems like the best method for FreeHDBoot. I have the original hard drive that came with final fantasy and it loads games perefectly.

20. Koksi__

Koksi__ Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2016
    Austria
    Use a PS2 Network Adapter with a IDE to SATA Adapter (Digitus) and then put a SATA 2,5" HHD in your PS2.
    Format your HDD and copy your games with Winhiip and install FHD to the HDD.
    I use a 1TB 2,5" SATA HDD (Western Digital blue) in my good old FAT PS2

https://circuit-board.de/forum/inde...2-5-SATA-HDD-nutzen/?postID=545438#post545438

look at the last post
    This is the Adpater i am using for a while.

Sorry for the german link and the bad english

Last edited by Koksi__, Jun 27, 2016