Modded Wii U and update or not?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by TonyFerrol, Aug 28, 2019.

1. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi there. Pretty noobish at all this so be patient.

I purchased a modded Wii U several months back. Loads of games etc on it. I've updated a couple of games via the internet when required. Came to play it today and it's trying to force a system update. I didn't confirm, and just switched off. Turned back on, and some games (like Toad Treasure tracker) won't play unless I update the system.

So. If I hit update, will it wipe the mods and all the games I have on it?

2. csmcapthy

csmcapthy Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Do you have CBHC? If so, it's safe to update to 5.5.4 but you'll have to reinstall CBHC. If you're using haxchi, you may have to reinstall that too. But it's been confirmed 5.5.4 is safe

TonyFerrol likes this.
  3. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, i'm that much of a noob I have no idea what that means....hehe. I bought the console from a friend on a gaming group. I have seen that it has nintendon't on it, and I think Hackchi or something....I turned it on, all the games were there and I started playing. It's just been today really that it's been pushing for the update. I don't know what firmware it is on at the minute.

csmcapthy likes this.
  4. csmcapthy

csmcapthy Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Go into settings and at the top right, it should show the version number. Mine would say 5.5.3 E as I have a EU Wii U.

TonyFerrol likes this.
  5. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi there. Thanks for getting back. Just jumped into settings and it says 99.99.99 E

csmcapthy likes this.
  6. csmcapthy

csmcapthy Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Ok good. 99.99.99 E means you're on CBHC. Can you access the homebrew launcher?

TonyFerrol likes this.
  7. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    There is a homebrew launcher tile on the first screen, but I have just clicked it and I just get a screen filled with bubbles :)

8. csmcapthy

csmcapthy Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Ok that's also good. One more question, you will have a DS VC game on the Wii U menu? It should have an exclamation mark & be titled "DON'T TOUCH ME"
    If you do, install the system update and touch it (ironically) it'll load up the CBHC reinstall menu and you simply reinstall it.

Last edited by csmcapthy, Aug 28, 2019
    TonyFerrol likes this.
  9. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yes, there is a triangle tile with don't touch me on it....funnily enough, I haven't touched it....lol.

So when it says to do the system update, do the system update and then when it comes back after updating, touch the don't touch me tile?

10. csmcapthy

csmcapthy Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Yes. You'll get coldboot CFW again and your games will no longer beg for updates. If touching it won't load for some reason, the homebrew launcher will also let you reinstall.

TonyFerrol likes this.
  11. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    So this won't wipe my games or anything will it? I'll still have all them?

12. csmcapthy

csmcapthy Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    TonyFerrol likes this.
  13. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thank you. So, just because I'm in idiot, and I just want to double check:

Turn Wii U on.
    When I get message to update, click yes to update.
    When it finished updating, or reboots or whatever, go to the DON'T TOUCH ME tile and press it.
    Press reinstall when the CBHC menu opens.

And it's done?

14. csmcapthy

csmcapthy Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I messed up that quote. Anyway that's all you have to do

TonyFerrol likes this.
  15. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Legend. I'll try in the morning now as it's late.....i'll let you know how it goes :)

16. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Did the update and accidentally clicked on a game. It just seemed to boot up, without having to do the DON'T TOUCH ME button. Should I still do that anyway, or am I ok?

17. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    You should still do the DO NOT TOUCH ME and reinstall CBHC. CBHC makes it where you have auto Custom Firmware upon boot. That doesn't effect regular Wii U games in your region but if you want to have any out of region Wii U games or any DLC for your games in region, or any Virtual Console games you don't have to run Custom Firmware to get them to work it does it upon boot.

18. TonyFerrol
    OP

TonyFerrol Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Legend. I'll do it then. Thanks for that mate :)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted