MMOs are getting more action-oriented

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by GameDragon, Dec 2, 2008.

Dec 2, 2008
  1. GameDragon
    OP

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    I'm sure for alot of people, MMOs are getting more stale. Each one as similar as the next. Age of Conan was probably a step in the right direction, but it's execution wasn't great. Korean MMOs (Cause Korea loves MMOs) are starting a new approach from what I can tell, replacing the more passive MMO gameplay with much more active gameplay. These new MMOs to all have the same philosophy in common: Better graphics, better physics, faster gameplay, larger environments, and bigger breasts. Some of these are a bit old news, but still are very impressive.

Continent of the Ninth (C9)

Blade and Soul

Kingdom Under Fire II (A RTS, but still more action oriented than any online strategy game)

And just so nobody questions it, these are all gameplay videos. Not teasers.

2. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    don't forget Mabinogi: heroes.
    They say beta testing MIGHT open this year, but they are sure that the game will be released by next year.
    http://heroes.nexon.com/

3. OmerMe

Member OmerMe GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    Blade and Soul looks AWESOME o:
    C9 too

4. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    And you didn't mention The Old Republic? Granted it's gomnna be ages before that comes out, but as far as I can tell, it's gonna redefine the MMO genre. Also, The Agency looks kinda cool.
    Only Footage Of The Agency I could find: http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/848448/th...ire_072308.html

EDIT:
    Just looked at the trailers, and they look much better than the current offerings. Fast-paced combat is exactly what MMOs need, as they're so blindingly slow at the moment. The acrobatics in 9th Continent look particularly fun.
    Still, I'll be damned if there's anything new to these MMOs other than fast-paced combat.

5. GameDragon
    OP

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    From what I can tell, The Old Republic sticks to the current MMO style, playing like KOTOR. The Agency might be cool, but theres similar games out already like Hellgate: London.

6. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    How about Cabal? or Infinity Online? Both are quite good..but cabal has some bot problems and infinity online is directed at donators

But KUF is awesome. I played the ones for Xbox and they were amazing. This + online + better graphics = win

7. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    cabal fails for me >:( was playing cabalsea

8. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Koreans love MMOs a bit too much tbh. Many of you can probably guess what I'm talking about [​IMG]
    Anyway, unless this means MMOs will start having a real storyline, I don't think I'll be able to have fun playing a MMO over time.

9. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Many korean RPGs out right now are those click here and there RPGs. You just click where you want to move, with just few keyboard shortcuts.

But now, the genre is moving to more of an action RPG with a better storyline in depth.

There already are RPGs that tried to put in stories into it such as Ys Online, but it didn't work out as great :|

10. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    i ought to agree with psycoblaster~!
    but
    even though the storyline is better while comparing to the predecessors, the newer MMO still somehow lack of some innovation and creativity~! everyone else is like copycat~!