Mmm! That's some good Pi! GBAtemp Raspberry Pi contest!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I've got a few old-ish screens left from some old-ish kids shopping carts, and I was thinking about making my own little portable PC. I would need to do a bit of tricky soldering for the screen and I would have to make my own battery pack and casing, but the Raspberry Pi would be a perfect mini-PC for this. I would probably use a couple Bluetooth adapters so I could use PS3 controller for games as well as a keyboard/mouse.

I would mostly use it for emulation, despite that being a bit impractical with all the phones/other devices that could, but I would also get a full-fledged OS for it as well ^_^

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong thread for that and you better direct your questions to the fine folk over at XBMC.

The reason I ask is because then I could forseeably connect the Pi to the network and use it as probably the smallest tuner/streamer short of integrating it directly into a TV's PCB. Its power usage easily beats even the smallest boxes I'd seen, and the Ceton would give it lots of options.

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I ask is because then I could forseeably connect the Pi to the network and use it as probably the smallest tuner/streamer short of integrating it directly into a TV's PCB. Its power usage easily beats even the smallest boxes I'd seen, and the Ceton would give it lots of options.

Might as well go off topic, but yes the Pi does have support for TV streaming via XBMC. On the XBMC forums, I see that it has support for both MythTV, TVHeadEnd and HD HomeRun. I've also seen mention of there being a Windows Media Center plugin for it. I also see this via a really quick google search: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171216

TheJeweler

Connoisseur of the Fistic Arts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would make a synthesizer for my brother since he's always wanted one, might even be a fun project. From what I've seen there's some guy who's well on his way to making a synthesizer possible on the raspberry pi.
Also want to try and make a Daft Punk helmet further into the future once I figure out how to cast and stuff

loco365

Trophies
XP
Just to let people know, contrary to popular believe. Android on the Raspberry Pi is NOT a viable option. Best bet for most (not all) users would be one of the XBMC distos or Raspbian (Debian for RPi)

Also, there are NO windows options.

You could probably make a very minimalistic version of Windows Embedded that could run on it. The price checkers where I work use Windows Embedded.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had a raspberry Pi

I'd buy a little case to put it in along with a battery, so it can be portable.
Then I'd buy a small display monitor for it, along with one of those fold up keyboards and maybe a portable mouse and wifi adapter too.
Then I could use my Pi to make new GBA accounts at all the different IP's I visit, just so I can troll the Temp.
Then I could use my Pi, at all the popular wifi hotspots, to get my GBAtemp fix. :lol:

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably look up stuff from Hackaday, start doing something...change my mind 15-20 times, lose interest, then eventually build some sort of homemade Roku/XMBC box that I could hook to the TV at work just to watch old episodes of the Joy of Painting With Bob Ross for 8 hours at a time while sipping tea and trying to ignore the rest of the job.

D

Deleted User

I'd probably use it as an emulator platform with Raspbian hooked to our 50 inches tv as well as streaming movies, tv and animes over the home network. Takes no place, almost no electricity, not intrusive and gets the job done.

popinadam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wall Socket ========================>||​
||.......................................................................||​
V........................................................................||​
7 Port Powered USB Hub===============>||.||​
||........................||.^................||....................||.||​
||........................||.||................||....................||.||​
V.........................V.||.................V....................V..V​
WiFi Dongle + Raspberry Pi + USB Fan + BFL BitCoin Miners x3​
......................(Minepeon).......................................​
-=The End=-​

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would buy a portable battery and use it to power the Pi, and then I would add a camera module to take pictures in time specific intervals, such as every 10 minutes. This would all be put into a a case designed to be attached to a large balloon, which would be released into the sky with a tracking device.

I would use this to get some great shots of my city, or even my state if it reached outer space.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because there is nothing more embarrassing than dying in front of your gaming rig or console, I introduce to you the Raspberry Pi Gamer Vital Signs Monitor. A must for the hardcore gamer, this system monitors your vital signs to ensure your continued gaming existence.

Unlike other vital sign monitors we took the male gamers needs in mind, and designed the advanced Pulse Oximeter sensor to attach conveniently and discreetly to the gamers penis, thus leaving the extremities free for an unfettered gaming experience.

Should your vitals weaken, using wireless Bluetooth technology, the Raspberry Pi monitor will automatically connect to your smartphone and will immediately contact a loved one, and/or any life alert service provider of your choice.

For the professional gamer this system can be used as a training aide to be sure you are physically at the top of your game.

For the game developer, log and analyze the physiological reactions of your game testers to guarantee your next title is a hit.

The system package includes:

1 - Raspberry Pi w/Bluetooth Adapter
1 - SD Card w/Open Source Monitor Software & Documentation
1 - Bluetooth Pulse Oximeter Sensor
2 - USB Cables
1 - AC Adapter
10 - Sterile Alcohol Prep Pads

Lancia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Il use it to make a Retro Multi-Platform systeme. I like playing old game and still own all my old system in a closet so il be able to do some clean-up .

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... If I had a RPi, there are a few things I could do with it.

1: Make the ultimate watch that, not only tells time, but does other cool stuff too, although I do like my Databank...

2: A PErsonal Terminal. I hope you guys know what that means, being a GBA/DS forum and all.

3: Hook up NES, SNES, A2600, N64, GB/C, and GBA cartrige slots to it, install the corresponding emulators, put it in a stylish case, and hope there is no controller lag (NESDS is the only non-PC NES emulator i've found that does not have controller lag.)

shango46

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would make a solar powered emergency fire starter.

XK2gthf.jpg

It would be perfect for any sort of emergency/survival/camp fire needs, or if you just want a lighter that will keep you smoking for years, lol.

And sorry about the quality of the pic. I figured CAD would only be required if I was actually making and selling this, lol.

Reactions: TyBlood13

Giblet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would use the Raspberry Pi just like the guy in "American Pie" used the warm apple pie. Thinking of all that erotic looking circuitry is already making my "bits (as in bytes) "tingle"; I could plug my "peripheral" into it's "socket"; upload my "operating system"; and I bet it could do with some extra "ram"....etc....etc...I could go on all day with these smutty, sexual, computer related euphemisms if you like!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: S3X