1. cots

cots Banned
    Banned

United States
    It is when he's released plenty of apps that don't brick your Switch and this one, which has already been tested by many users, who've not experienced bricks. It's not a sure fire bet, but being in the scene for a long time and releasing lots of quality applications is a good indicator that you can trust a person. You combine that with no users ever reporting bricks with previous programs and no brick reports with this new program and you're most likely not going to be bricked. I'm not talking in absolutes, just what is likely and not likely to happen.

Hopefully I'm not wrong and if I am people followed directions and made an initial NAND backup of their Switch, kept 2 or more copies on 2 or more separate storage devices and make regular NAND backups each time they make a major change or on a timely basis.

Tell me how many sceners there are that can read C++, download and read the entire source code to each homebrew and then compile it themselves (checking each external asset) each time they want a new brew' or update an existing one?

Or tell me why the people that get in your face for using closed source apps use closed source stuff all of the time themselves, but that's okay and them harassing and bullying you is fine too.

2. mathew77

mathew77 Lovin' life.

Kazakhstan
    Closed source on a homebrew scene = gtfo.

My private certs are more important for me than pretty gui face.

Last edited by mathew77, Jul 1, 2019
    ELY_M and Idontknowwhattoputhere like this.
  3. cots

cots Banned
    Banned

United States
    Then don't use it and move on.

eyeliner, chrisfand and rob4 like this.
  4. 98otiss

98otiss irrelevant foxcoon

Canada
    this guy has incognito, which wipes PRODINFO
    probably the worst thing to do ever
    i can see where you are coming from by their apps being safe making them a trustyworthy user but why would a homebrew like that exist when dns' work just fine
    open source just allows people rest easy knowing that something bad wont happen, and add additional features to the program, i really don't see why it should stay closed source

5. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Thanks, @blawar.
    I'm not wise enough to pass judgement about the open source of homebrew apps, so I just say thanks.

Royyeuh, chrisfand and cots like this.
  6. stinknus

stinknus Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm using 1.02 on ReiNX 8.1
    I kept getting Failed to download level. I went to the tinfoil website and downloaded from there so where do I put the .bcd and .btl?

7. cots

cots Banned
    Banned

United States
    What would prevent an open sourced project's author from putting malware into a pre-compiled binary they offer on their Github while not including it in the main source code? Do you really expect each homebrew user to know C++, read the entire source code tree and examine the assets then compile it themselves before running it? If so, then how do you feel about the Homebrew Store app?

I don't have any problem with open source - it's great and I run Linux as my main OS and don't have any paid content on it (other then Steam, which I remind you, Steam games are usually closed source and cost money). I'm just not going to sit around while people harass and bully any author because they don't make their program open source, especially when they've got a great track record. I'm trying to prevent that. If the "open source" chanting morons, who have no problem using closed source stuff, yet like to talk shit don't like that then they can get lost, because they're hypocrites and are in the wrong.

gjimenezf and MorningBlunt like this.
  8. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Costa Rica
    Uh what? Wiping prodinfo on EmuMMC is the way to go instead of using a shady DNS.

chrisfand likes this.
  9. 98otiss

Canada
    most of the things on the hb app store are open source
    even then some people who know c++ or whatever language the program is made would look through it and post a psa warning others or whatever.
    to be honest though steam games dont need to be open source, i mean what kind of reputable company would release a game with malware in it. i trust this homebrew though, all it does it just download levels from op's server and inject them. open source is not a priority but i feel that its just an improvement.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

it works on both emmc and emummc
    its weird how you guys call 90dns shady when it does the same as incognito
    the only problem wiht 90dns is if it goes down you dont have internet access
    if 90dns is too shady you can also just use charles proxy but you need a pc

10. Goffrier

Goffrier GBAtemp Regular

United States
    @98otiss if incognito is the worst idea ever why did sciresm implemented it into ams

The more you know™

gizmomelb likes this.
  11. 98otiss

Canada
    what
    sciresm added protection into atmos to prevent people from accidentally breaking their switch

also theres a difference between mitm'ing and permanently overwriting a critical part of the nand

12. Goffrier

Goffrier GBAtemp Regular

United States
    its not permanent since incognito makes a backup

13. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Can we talk about the app instead of whining like little bitches?

If it's not for you move on, simple.

14. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Turkey
    Thx, I was looking for this info.

15. rob4

rob4 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    Great work as always, thanks blawar!

Any way to patch or bypass the 32 course limit?

gizmomelb likes this.
  16. 98otiss

Canada
    there's only 32? i thought there was more than that

17. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    currently, everyone only gets 32 slots to build levels in and those are where these levels are being saved into.

that number may rise in the future, or not.

you might not like it, but the source code stuff is part of the app and always will be.

18. Mylink5

Mylink5 GBAtemp Fan

Greece
    *snip*

Last edited by Mylink5, Jul 1, 2019 - Reason: found answer
  19. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    98otiss seems to be quite out of touch with things in CFW world - eg: https://gbatemp.net/threads/xortroll-working-on-usb-hdd-feature.533937/page-10#post-8696430

see Essasetic's reply immediately below that in response.

@98otiss there are people actively trying to curtail the animosity between CFW users, we're all sick of the bickering and bullshit that has gone on in the past. The simple thing is USE WHATEVER CFW you want to, that has the features you want.

Getting back on track - that should also extend to apps in the scene - if you want to use an app that injects Mario Maker 2 levels and it has source code availbable - fine, then do it.

But until that app arrives, feel free to use the app that Blawar has coded. In their own time, out of their own interest and decided to share with the general public.

20. The14thfly

The14thfly GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    cLoSeD sOuRcE oN a HoMeBrEw ScEnE = gTfO.

mY pRiVaTe CeRtS aRe MoRe ImPoRtAnT fOr Me ThAn PrEtTy GuI fAcE.

CatmanFan, 98otiss, iGlitch and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Injector, Super, Mario