Hacking .mkv plackback

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can anyone help me? I´ve searched and have read many places that this works, but my xbox is refusing to play them. ps3 media server recognizes my xbox, and will playback the usual files, just not mkv.

I´ve found nearly no settings help, and the little bit I did find hasn´t helped. I need the help too, because all of the settigs options looks like jibberish to me.

I hope this was the right area to post this. If it has to be moved, please send me a notice, and thanks in advance if anyone can help.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got MKVs to play through Windows Media Center, but I couldn't get subtitles, if that's important. (It certainly is to anime watchers.)

Edit: Or at least I think it was WMC. Might have been TVersity. I tried a bunch of media streamers so I could watch anime properly on my TV, since my comp was outputting weird.

ficarra1002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe .mkvs work with tversity. I'd check for you, but I have someone sleeping in my gaming room.
Will edit when I can check.

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Zune takes forever to convert. If I want to convert, xenonmkv works a lot faster than zune does. I tried TVersity, but I don´t think it can play mkv either.

As I understood it the ps3 media server will play mkv as is on the xbox 360. I just haven´t been able to get it working.

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that PS3 Media Server does in fact allow .mkv streaming to the 360. Mine works with no issues.
However, because of some problems I had with it, I am not using the most recent version. It would not find my Xbox, so I rolled it back to a previous beta version. I'm currently running version 1.50.0 b2, with no problems at all now!
I've been streaming my favorite anime in .mkvs, along with a few web-downloaded TV episodes that came in .mkv as well.

Try the previous beta from here, it seems to have better compatibility with the Xbox.

[EDIT]
Wait, before you try that, I just noticed I have PS3MS set to force transcode mkvs. This could be your problem, actually. :P
I believe I had to manually set that option before mine worked 100%.

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@ Scathraax

Thanks! My Xbox is finally opening the files using the beta version you pointed to. I tried forcing on the version I was using before, but still got the error messages.

Unfortunately it´s so choppy it´s not watchable. Are there any specific options I have to change? A pic of your settings would be cool if you have the ability to do so.

Anyway thanks for the help so far, at least I know I´m a step in the right direction!

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
My settings are as follows:
hK6Iw.jpg

I had to drop my video quality and sound settings to get things running smoothly on my craptastic Win7 laptop. Doing the same will probably help you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc