Mistreated on the job, seeking insight from the Temp

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
How would you respond if I called you MilkySkin McCracker?
Who, me? That would be a bit much yeah, but if I would be called "White Par" I would react it to the same way as I'd react to being called "Blonde Par" or "Finnish Par" or anything else, as long as the tone or situtation doesn't give any reason to take it as an offence. It's one way to describe me, just like any one of my other features.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who, me? That would be a bit much yeah, but if I would be called "White Par" I would react it to the same way as I'd react to being called "Blonde Par" or "Finnish Par" or anything else, as long as the tone or situtation doesn't give any reason to take it as an offence. It's one way to describe me, just like any one of my other features.

Was directed to the OP, but hey.
Always good to have an alternative interpretation.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion at least, it depends on the situation really. If it's just going by the easiest thing to differiantate them with, then not it's not racist. It's just the colour of his skin, why should it be treated any different than, say, the colour of his hair or eyes? Calling everything that has anything to do with a person's skin colour racist is racist too.

Try it - Call the next coloured person you see "My black friend" and see what happens lol

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Anyone claiming it's not racist to call him "white Jason" needs to wise up. I'd love to see them try to explain to a person of colour that referring to them as "BLACK Jason" would NOT be considered racist.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Except that isn't really all that racist either.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Being called "White Jason" doesn't really sound bad at all, since you acknowledged that you are called Jason and that you are white. But....

Does the other Jason call you White Jason? Do the others call him Black Jason? How is it looked upon if you called him Black Jason? If they get riled up by you saying Black Jason (assuming that other Jason calls you White Jason and others call him Black Jason), then you have the right to point out to them that they are being just as racist as they may think you are.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think you'll find the law would disagree with you in most countries.

Identifying someone by their race isn't racist. Racist = discriminatory action against someone based on their race. Calling someone "Black Jason" or "White Jason" isn't used to discriminate/put down said Jason, it's meant to be an easy way to identify a person. If someone gets offended by it, they're being childish and over-sensitive. Do I think it's a stupid way to identify someone? Sure, it's dumb as fuck and of course an easier solution could be made, but it's not racist.

Reactions: Gahars

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really thank you all for the replies. My situation actually improved today, for those concerned. Some replies were more comforting than others, but all of them really showed me the insight I was going for. That's why I love the Temp.

I found out recently by the nicer of my two team leads that I will soon be trained on locking out and tagging out equipment, fit with a salary raise of, from what I've heard, to about $9 an hour. Furthermore, the other team lead that had allegedly called me "white Jason", is just a total frigging prick, who is surely bound to see his share of karma. I don't even see the name as racism as much as I see it as just him being a prickish... well, prick. To say the least.

I'm currently applying for a position at another job whose base salary will be $10.25 per hour, and they need people for any shift. I'm willing to do it, and I doubt (but not completely rule out) the possibility of me being stuck on another grave shift. Plus, like any job, of course I'm bound to meet a few people, bosses or coworkers, who are just as prickly. I haven't used the word "prick" enough in this post, tbh.

Almost everybody on my line also think the guy is a real prick, and most of them should also be receiving similar or the same rewards as me, such as a raise with tagging out equipment or a shift change, and I'm honestly happy for them, even he ones that I feel probably don't deserve it as much. Oh well, still happy for them. Perhaps I was feeling a bit baby-ish about some name calling. In many or most situations, patience is key and karma is found by the mind of who looks for it.

I kinda rushed to reply to this post because I was starting to see some racial siding, and I feel responsible for bringing it up. It's not really a thing you want to fuck with over the internet, it has only divided people. Ever. I can't physically see any of you, so as far as I'm concerned, everybody's he same color here. Don't need to be my supervisor and favor people over others, because apparently that's how people get mad at you.

Um, I probably should have made this entire thing a blog post or something, but it actually felt more worth it as just a forum post, it's really good to know where people stand on such a matter.

Please, wish me luck in the future. I'll be floating around the Temp as I have for a good few years. Thanks everybody. :D

Reactions: Xarsah16

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been known as "white Jason"
don't worry
White > Black
ajede.png

Site & Scene News