Centimetro

OP
Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
Will try to get timeline right. Thanks in advance for any help or advice! I use latest version of Atmosphere and have latest Switch firmware, nothing else fancy.

For years, I had a Sandisk 512 GB Micro SD card that worked without a hitch. I was formatted through exFAT.

To upgrade, I replaced with a 1 TB Sandisk Micro SD Card. I Formatted through exFAT, and copied everything over from my 512 GB card.

Everything initially seemed to work OK, but after going to Tinfoil and updating all games (lots and lots of updates), I found out that all of the games I updated no longer worked, as there were lots of errors (unable to create placeholder, NCA error, content creation error, i dont know, just going off hazy memory at this point)

After doing some research, I learned that micro SD should be formatted to FAT32. So I formatted to FAt32 and tried again. I forget exactly what happened at this stage, but eventually I learned that whenever I Tried to update etc. through tinfoil or add new games, I was dealing with errors and corruption. So I wiped the micro SD card completely, and started from scratch.

This took FOREVER to replace like 700 GB worth of games, but I finally did it using AWOO Installer. Tinfoil is still almost useless, as it corrupts my games and i have to uninstall most of the games/updates it does (But this is inconsistent).

It seems if I use Data Management (in settings) to delete games, or install games or unistall games using Tinfoil, things start to go haywire -- i get lots of reports of games taking 0.0 MB space, which is my clue things are corrupted and then things start failing to launch. Then I have to restart.

The Switch seems to be stable as long as I'm just playing games. It's when I'm adding or deleting games that things go crazy and I have to restart, then they work normally again.

Tinfoil is the worst culprit, as whenever I use it for more than a few tasks I have to restart Switch cause it starts freezing, returning errors, etc. This sucks, because it's the only practical way to update my massive library

Any ideas? Kinda weird that even starting fresh on SD card, I still had issues.

Last edited by Centimetro,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you using the newest atmosphere? because this happens randomly in general for me and many other people but the dev refuses to fix it attributing it to only being piracy related. the only fix I've found is reseting back to hekate and loading atmosphere again. it happens for everything no matter if its a game or homebrew

Reactions: Centimetro

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
do not use exFAT, is very prune to random failures, is Nintendo fault and no homebrew can avoid. the interesting part is "random" because you can have a 5 years no fault and at the blue a fail. or fail the very first time you boot.

remove the card, test it on a computer, use H2TestW for find bad cells remember the cards waste with time.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do not use exFAT, is very prune to random failures, is Nintendo fault and no homebrew can avoid. the interesting part is "random" because you can have a 5 years no fault and at the blue a fail. or fail the very first time you boot.

remove the card, test it on a computer, use H2TestW for find bad cells remember the cards waste with time.
exfat isn't the issue its a known but ignored issue in the newest version of atmosphere. everytime its brought up on the github its just dismissed

Centimetro

OP
Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
are you using the newest atmosphere? because this happens randomly in general for me and many other people but the dev refuses to fix it attributing it to only being piracy related. the only fix I've found is reseting back to hekate and loading atmosphere again. it happens for everything no matter if its a game or homebrew
Yes, i am as of recently, and only recently started having the problem.

exfat isn't the issue its a known but ignored issue in the newest version of atmosphere. everytime its brought up on the github its just dismissed

im inclined to agree, as I'm having this problem on FAT32 (I already tried starting over on FAT32)

Forgot to mention that using AWOO installer mostly works ok. Tinfoil or Data management really mess things up (temporarily), but restarting fixes it as you said.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, i am as of recently, and only recently started having the problem.

im inclined to agree, as I'm having this problem on FAT32 (I already tried starting over on FAT32)

Forgot to mention that using AWOO installer mostly works ok. Tinfoil or Data management really mess things up (temporarily), but restarting fixes it as you said.
I didn't have it either until the new update and I also thought it was my SD fault at first until I realized it only really happens when I either install or uninstall an nsp of any kind doesn't matter if its an update a dlc or a game it stops anything from loading until I restart. like I said its been reported on the github but he refuses to fix it and dismisses it as a piracy issue

Reactions: Centimetro

Centimetro

OP
Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't have it either until the new update and I also thought it was my SD fault at first until I realized it only really happens when I either install or uninstall an nsp of any kind doesn't matter if its an update a dlc or a game it stops anything from loading until I restart. like I said its been reported on the github but he refuses to fix it and dismisses it as a piracy issue
this really does sound like my problem. Installing and uninstalling causes issues until restart. Exactly.

After a restart, everything works fine (playing games never causes problem). Until I try to install or uninstall something. Sometimes doing that works ok, but its like russian roullette until i have to restart again

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this really does sound like my problem. Installing and uninstalling causes issues until restart. Exactly.

After a restart, everything works fine (playing games never causes problem). Until I try to install or uninstall something. Sometimes doing that works ok, but its like russian roullette until i have to restart again
like I said its a known but ignored issue

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Yeah I also encountered this issue where I would uninstall a game and then all my games will show up as 0 mb like my sdcard was pulled out. It's also fixed by restarting. It doesn't happen a lot but It's annoying when it happens. But thanks anyway, now I know the issue isn't my switch or my sd card but atmosphere itself.

Edit: Yeah looks like SciresM is aware of the issue and will fix it in the next atmosphere release.

Last edited by Paulsar99,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.