Minor question on installing wads

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by King penguin, May 16, 2013.

1. King penguin
    OP

King penguin Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2013
    United States
    Are there any precaution or instructions i Should take before installing game wad on wii mode? I'm trying to install or write on the nand as least as possible, but i've been itching to play final fantasy :lol:.

2. julialy
    This message by julialy has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 16, 2013, Reason: Useless post.
    May 16, 2013
  3. Ray Lewis
    This message by Ray Lewis has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 16, 2013, Reason: Useless post.
    May 16, 2013
  4. Speedster

Speedster Hack ALL THE THINGS

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    I'm pretty sure as long as it worked on the Wii, it should work on vWii (at least for WiiWare and VC).

5. julialy
    This message by julialy has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 16, 2013, Reason: Useless post.
    May 16, 2013
  6. Enigma Hall
    This message by Enigma Hall has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 16, 2013, Reason: Useless post.
    May 16, 2013
  7. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Installing wads will always have risks. Some may last for a day or two, others weeks or months until you can fix it or get it fixed...and some last at LEAST 18 years;-) If you accept the risks then feel free to ignore my warnings.

EDIT: Final Fantasy is usually how needing to install a wad starts, it seems just like "Fantasy" game but it ends up being the Final Fantasy.

Speedster and air2004 like this.
  8. King penguin
    OP

King penguin Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2013
    United States
    Oh i get it heh heh, anyways after overthinking i probably won't do it :sleep: Beside theres always the dolphin emu

9. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    On Maxternal 3 core thread we were able to get a was running and are looking for options from that. If you have doubts, maybe send a PM to Comex or other experienced users. I think Joostinonline may have some advice. Even if it is believed to be safe, it is a risk.

10. King penguin
    OP

King penguin Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2013
    United States
    Do ya think Backup like bootmii or priiloader will ever come back?

11. Speedster

Speedster Hack ALL THE THINGS

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    Probably if/when we figure out more with vWii and have the ability to make them work.

12. King penguin
    OP

King penguin Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2013
    United States
    Appearently i could play games using nand emulation which is much safer! i feel like a noob not knowing this earlier
    The only thing that sucks it that triiforce restarts the wiiu when i go to wii menu on the home screen

13. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    I've never tried NAND emulation, so I can't be any help in that aspect, but in case this helps at all...

• Triiforce is an outdated and deprecated program that won't work in Wii U. It would need a serious upgrade to make it work, and I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.
    • Other boot launchers are just as capable of launching wads, including from NAND emulation. I believe the 3 big ones (USB Loader GX, WiiFlow, and cfg usb loader) all work for this. (Depending on the type of partition you have)
    • Installing wads is not all too dangerous (but still a little risky, as others will tell you) if you know they are legitimate. (I.E. Come from a reputable site, a reputable user, and have been tested). As long as they don't have a broken banner it seems very unlikely that you'll cause any damage to the vWii.
    • From personal testing I've found that roughly 50% of the wads I've tested work on Wii U (I installed straight to memory, no NAND emulation), while the other 50% just go to a black screen and freeze the Wii U. (Loses sync; Hard reset by unplugging power). These freezes have been harmless, however, and I've simply been able to uninstall them knowing that they just don't work for one reason or another.
    • Each wad will run off of a given IOS, just as retail games do. This is probably why at least some of the games I tested didn't work - I didn't have the necessary IOS. Take note that you may need to customize your IOS's to run a given game, and doing so carries all the same risks you can expect from an IOS change. Given that these IOS files only run when you try to boot given games, though, you shouldn't have to worry about a brick unless you accidentally overwrite the wrong IOS. XD

Hope that helps at least a little. :)

14. King penguin
    OP

King penguin Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2013
    United States
    Usb loader loads wads? huh, i didn't know that. And i realized that it probably would be a good idea to modify ios's using MMM, right?

15. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    I believe USB Loader can load wads, but I only have a WBFS partition which doesn't work with it, so I've never been able to test it. XD I use plain old wad manager, but MMM should work too. :) The program you use to install IOS/wad probably won't matter.

16. King penguin
    OP

King penguin Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2013
    United States
    I can't find a tutorial to use nand emulation off the sd thats updated, any help?

17. King penguin
    OP

King penguin Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2013
    United States
    Nevermind, i got nand emulation down and its working quite nicely, much less bugs than triiforce.
    Edit: erm, another question? when i customize an ios, do you mean i should install a cios, or install a newer ios?