MIni(-based) KErnel Preview One (aka MIKE p1))

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Jacobeian, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jacobeian
    OP

Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 15, 2008
    Cuba
    http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/MINI:KernelPreviewOne

Still a preview with some restrictions but definitively an interesting project

2. Blue-K

Blue-K No right of appeal.

Jun 21, 2008
    Swaziland
    Helvetica
    Great, realy awesome [​IMG], especially the USB2.0 Part, and that you can use it with Whiite-based Distros...but I'll wait for a nice other GUI than WhiiteLinux...I'm not that happy with it [​IMG].

But I can't wait for a nice, optimized Linux for Wii. Big Step forward, again [​IMG]!!!

3. drmarvin

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    The question is, has anyone had any luck getting this thing going? I worked on it for about an hour, followed the instructions to a tee, and all I get is crashing when directly booted, and return to bootmii menu when run from the menu. I really want to be able to play with this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

4. cwstjdenobs

cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

Mar 10, 2009
    Ankh-Morpork

5. Jacobeian
    OP

Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 15, 2008
    Cuba
    Also note it does not work with the current MINI provided with BootMi v2, you need to compile MINI (armboot.bin) from its sourcecode in git repository (I still didn't succeed in doing that though [​IMG] )

6. drmarvin

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I used the armboot.bin that they provided there (it's supposed to work, but didn't for me). The only thing I haven't tried is the hex editing of the boot options. I just want to play with it so homefully they can make it more generic, especially since the Wii has standardized hardware.

7. kavid

kavid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    good ,very nice.

8. drmarvin

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Has anyone tried using the compiled armboot.bin instead of the one for download on the site? Does that work better? All I get is a boot error when set to autoboot, and nothing when launched from the menu. Hopefully this gets some real progress. Could also mean that porting XBMC to the Wii may make great strides soon too.

Thanks for all the work.

9. WiiThoko

WiiThoko GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    Sorry for the noobish question, but could this possibly have wireless internet support, not just wired (LAN) someday?

10. drmarvin

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I assume they will try to get all possible hardward functioning. That's pretty much the point. Then they can start to have Linux Embedded apps. Hopefully some new stuff soon.