Minecraft Education Edition Launching Summer 2016

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Jan 19, 2016.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC

Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft for over $2 billion last year took many of us by surprise and left us feeling dumbfounded as to what they were thinking and where they would be going with the idea.

It looks like the blocks are finally starting to settle following the new announcement of Minecraft Education Edition launching later this year for use at home, and even in schools around the world.

Microsoft is quick to emphasize that its keeping the changes minor because it doesn't want to make Minecraft into a straight educational product; it's still a game first a foremost and therefore something kids want to use in the classroom and at home.

It would appear the foundation of the new product is of an education mod that Microsoft seems to have acquired as the basis for their team to work with. Either way, expect to see and hear more about Minecraft Education Edition in the coming months.

:arrow: SOURCE

VatoLoco and TeamScriptKiddies like this.

2. GotKrypto67

GotKrypto67 That one PHP guy

Jul 21, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    The Chamber of Kim
    I can't believe there's a market for this. Education + Minecraft seems like an unlikely combination.

3. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    Something similar, I heard one particular school is replacing gym class with esports, and will have classes later on. Can't find the article atm tho.

4. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I think this is an excellent idea. The links between education and Minecraft aren't immediately obvious, but working with autistic kids you have to find any way of making even the most abstract and tedious topic meaningful and motivating. Think of the concepts involved in building a house in Minecraft - size, volume, ratio, proportion, measurement, and that's before you even start thinking about the properties of the materials, the functions of the spaces they are constructing, and the really complicated stuff like functional moving parts with redstone and other mechanisms. They also need to think about planning, resourcing and problem solving, particularly if they are not in creative mode. Add to that the potential for developing social interaction skills like cooperation, collaboration, negotiation, explaining, describing, and the possibilities are endless.

If anyone is really interested in stuff like this, I encourage you to read some of the research by Legoff and Shermann into social skills programmes based on Lego, which can be used in a similar way.

I for one am really excited about the use of Minecraft in education and am interested to learn more about the education edition.

Boy12, Tomato Hentai, nxwing and 8 others like this.
  5. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    And that is exactly the reason why I thought Microsoft has acquired Minecraft initially.
    Not surprising in the least, I even thought they could implement Minecraft with VR for education purposes.

That said, it is a fantastic idea.

6. DesuIsSparta

DesuIsSparta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Weaboo land
    I don't understand why this is such 'big news', other than within the Minecraft community. Minecraft has been used for educational purposes since alpha. Beginning at custom maps, then progressing to modding and modded servers, and MinecraftEdu started a few years ago and did very well, though the subscription model was a bit strange in my opinion. This isn't something new that Microsoft nor Mojang have thought of, it's simply buying out MinecraftEdu and progressing it.
    There's nothing different than before besides that.

That said, I find that Minecraft and other sandbox games are a great way to teach children nowadays. Not just autistic or otherwise mentally handicapped children.

7. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    The big news imo is the fact that it's going to be mainstreamed into everyday education. And in mainstreaming it, there's the possibility of beginning to utilize gaming in new ways that isn't just an entertainment medium.

Seeing this happen and be taken seriously is a big step in looking at gaming as more than just mindless brain dimming entertainment.

DesuIsSparta likes this.
  8. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    It's big news because most schools won't dedicate time, money and resources to an intervention or education method which isn't packaged up specifically for education. Microsoft have realised this and hence have packaged up a version of Minecraft and labelled it for education. My hope is that this will not only be a customised version of Minecraft, but will also be accompanied by lesson plans, target suggestions and ideas for educational activities.

9. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    This is actually Microsoft stealing another idea that's already well-founded. I'm the computer lab EA for an elementary school and I can say that at least 3 of our elementary schools use the current system "MinecraftEDU". There's ALREADY a vibrant community of educators sharing resources and creating a lot of content and lesson plans. Currently, it's a one-off expense unless you pay to have your world hosted on their servers (Our schools use our tech dept or host them locally at the school). What I'm getting from this is that Microsoft intends to start charging everyone who already bought MCEDU a yearly fee instead of paying once.

As far as if Minecraft has a place in schools, yes, it certainly does! Aside from the creativity and problem-solving inherent to the game itself, there are a number of worlds and angles you can use the game for education targeting pretty much any subject such as math, social studies, geography, biology....because MC is such an open world with so many complex parts, it can be tailored to a vast array of different uses.

10. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    @3DSPoet
    Actually I think I read on the MC Education Editon site that it's based on MinecraftEDU. So I don't think they "stole" anything. How it works in terms of the licensing though I have no idea.

11. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    Well, the article actually mentioned MinecraftEDU, but it just sounds like Microsoft is pretending it was all their idea..though that could just be how the article is written.

DesuIsSparta likes this.
  12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Microsoft is buying MinecraftEDU. Kinda hard to "steal" what you already bought :P People who bought MinecraftEDU are also getting a free year subscription to this separate "Education Edition", too, and anyone who doesn't want to pay a subscription can still use MinecraftEDU whenever they want. I think it'll go off sale officially when EE releases, but that's not for another half a year or so.

DesuIsSparta and chavosaur like this.
  13. DesuIsSparta

DesuIsSparta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Weaboo land
    I got the same vibe from it too. I feel there wasn't enough credit to the already-well-established project that they will or did buy it.

Ah, I understand. Great way to make money is just to bundle things. It's easier to look for a bundle than it is all the individual parts.

Anyhow, I highly doubt they'll have lesson plans or anything of the sort. As someone who's worked indirectly with Mojang (Prior to Microsoft's purchase), they aren't the type of company to go beyond developing for the game. Unless they create a department at Mojang specifically to work on MCEDU (Which is very unlikely) and 'the classroom', it won't be much more than modifying the base game.

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I can see how Minecraft could be morphed into an education tool, but it'd have to be severely altered. Crafting could teach basic chemistry, for instance. The use of red stone or water can make for a good basic physics lesson. There are things you can do with it that could potentially be educational, but it's still a bit of a stretch.

15. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    you now what? we should just get rid of schools and homework all together. fuck it while we at it... get rid of gravity, sun, the moon, atoms, numbers, internet, technology, trees, water... cause none of those things are helpful for every day world stuff and fill it with Minecraft.

to be a dumb
    or not to be that is the question.

Last edited by Flame, Jan 20, 2016
  16. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    In actuality, some of the things they've created for MinecraftEDU are pretty amazing. And the Teacher account gives you lots of admin privileges at your fingertips while you're logged into the game with your students. There are also special, EDU specific blocks that can be used to outline areas where students can and can't build, you can restrict access to certain areas of the map, and many other nice features. *grin* When my kids are arguing or not doing what they're supposed to, I turn on Self-Creative mode, which puts the teacher in creative mode, then I fly up way into the sky and then teleport the entire class to me...and let them fall to their deaths! XD

17. storm75x

storm75x Remember that thing I don't remember? Yeah, that!

Jan 3, 2015
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲͡ ̲__
    This reminds me of that Minecraft Teacher guy. Wouldn't be surprised if this is a legacy dedicated to him.

18. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Did they mention one way they would use Minecraft to help kids learn? Other than say "build a house"? Sounds like a bunch of corporate hogwash to me.

19. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    Well, foregoing the obvious "game" arguments...there are numerous maps and worlds created by the EDU community on many different subjects. A LOT of these have disabled building altogether and are more exploratory showcasing Minecrafted versions of historical sites and architecture. There are also specialized building sites that give students limited and/specific resources and they have to solve specific problems as laid out by their teachers. Minecraft can also be used to model various ecosystems or different types of landmasses or layers.

It's a sandbox..it can be molded to do anything you want it to, really...there's even mods to let you learn basic computer programming.

20. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Minecraft is something you do on your phone while the teacher is talking about something else. It's as educational as doodling in your notebook when you're supposed to be doing your assignment. Although to be fair, that actually led to a career path for some people, while Minecraft leads to nothing but more Minecraft.