Mind helping with 300 title limit theory?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sketchy1, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Sketchy1
    OP

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    OK, so Im just going to be blunt.
    The 3ds uses a fat16 file system for the nand, right? So could the 300 title limit exist because there is a file containing the locations of where the titles are on the home menu, which can only be about 4 mb total due to fat16, and once you try to install 301, the file can't get any bigger, thus denies the install?

I know it sounds a bit stupid and random, but i Just need help debunking, that's all.

Last edited by Sketchy1, Jan 23, 2017
  2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    It's gotta be a hardcoded soft limit, hopefully it can be patched out or extended to 400+

But then again, we can't have more than 300 coins either, which is stupid.

3. Sketchy1
    OP

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    That seems like a software limit IMO, to stop people from spamming it in a game.

4. Sketchy1
    This message by Sketchy1 has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jan 23, 2017.
    Jan 23, 2017
  5. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    @OP You actually can have more than 300 titles installed. In fact, I think stock firmware has nearly 200 on its own.
    You just can't have more than 300 home menu icons because the home menu runs out of RAM. It stores the entire menu in memory instead of streaming it from NAND when you scroll. It also becomes really slow when you have a lot.

Not sure what the 40 DSiWare limit comes from though.

6. Sketchy1
    OP

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Ooooooooo
    Makes a lot of sense now, thx.
    40 dsiware is prolly because the nand can only get so big.
    But that still leaves the question of why the n3ds has the same limit, despite being superior in terms of hardware.

7. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    Probably to keep it consistent with the o3ds

8. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The N3DS has the same size TWL NAND, and no that's not the technical reason.

9. videogame57

videogame57 Yuki~! Yuki~!

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you with a knife
    Speaking of limits, the theme limit is stupid and evidently arbitrary, as despite having too many themes you can still browse through all of them for the purpose of deleting some.

As for the title limit, Nintendo could possibly overcome it by using pages on the home menu and only loading titles when the page they are on is switched to, then keeping them in RAM until you run low, and then purging the oldest titles from memory.

Last edited by videogame57, Jan 24, 2017 - Reason: spelling
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. Sketchy1
    OP

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Yes. It would also give just a tad more ram to running games too. I just find it odd that it can't just save it to a file on the SD rather then run it entirely off ram

11. Columbo2811

Columbo2811 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 19, 2015
    Look Nintendo knew people were not gonna buy 300+ titles so why did they have to worry about it. If you want more titles use emunands. You can have 10 with one cfw. So you could have 3000 games then. That's the only option because it's been said that no one would find a way to make this work. No dev is interested in it.

12. videogame57

videogame57 Yuki~! Yuki~!

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you with a knife
    They said the same thing about loading NDS games from the SD card "because you can buy an R4 for $5", but nds-bootstrap and TWLoader happened anyway.

13. Columbo2811

Columbo2811 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 19, 2015
    Only because there were devs who actually wanted to work on it.

14. Sketchy1
    OP

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Ik, and i couldnt care less about the limit, I only have like 20 games installed XD . but to be fair, I did say theory in the title. I have no interest in breaking or having it be broken, I just wondered what actually causes it.
    From what I've got so far, its run entirely off of ram rather then just being read from nand, which also explains why it takes Luke a good 4 seconds for it to pop up on the home menu when you suspend a game