Hardware MIND BLOWN! Maybe the Best Damn GC/Wii U controllers EVER!

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was talking about the new smash game (as referenced by you) which presumably will support analog triggers since they made a special adapter to explicitly support gamecube pads...

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I was talking about the new smash game (as referenced by you) which presumably will support analog triggers since they made a special adapter to explicitly support gamecube pads...

Pardon me because I don't know the answer, but did it make any difference between using a GameCube controller vs. Classic Controller Pro (digital triggers) on the original Wii when playing Brawl?

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I didn't get what's the difference between the original Gamecube's analog buttons and the new digital ones. How were the analogs better? You have to depress them and then they click. Do they perform 2 different actions? One when depressing and another when clicking?

I recently acquired a sealed GameCube controller for $20 because no one knows what a GameCube is in my country and the guy was glad to get rid of it.

Reactions: SG

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I didn't get what's the difference between the original Gamecube's analog buttons and the new digital ones. How were the analogs better? You have to depress them and then they click. Do they perform 2 different actions? One when depressing and another when clicking?
Yes, they do. Think of the analog trigger as having a range from 0% depressed until 100% depressed. You can have the trigger halfway depressed and the game would recognize it as 50% depressed. With digital triggers you can only have two states: not depressed (0) and fully depressed (1). There's no halfway or in between.

Reactions: SG and bowser

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Yes, they do. Think of the analog trigger as having a range from 0% depressed until 100% depressed. You can have the trigger halfway depressed and the game would recognize it as 50% depressed. With digital triggers you can only have two states: not depressed (0) and fully depressed (1). There's no halfway or in between.
Hi, thanks for clarifying. Any examples of how these were used? Which games used them? And why do they click at the end?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi, thanks for clarifying. Any examples of how these were used? Which games used them? And why do they click at the end?

The best example for games using analog triggers are racing games, where the analog trigger functions just like a car pedal, allowing you to have full control over acceleration. Right now on the Wii U, games like Need for Speed: Most Wanted U don't have that luxury because the Wii U GamePad and Pro Controller lack analog triggers. This means that, as soon as you press down the trigger, your car will accelerate 100% as if you stomped down on a car pedal, giving you no control over the acceleration curve.

How this translates to Smash Bros., I think this is the best write-up on that: http://www.ign.com/wikis/smash-bros-project-m/Light_shielding#. I'm in no way a good player, I just play for fun. So the more technical players will likely have a better answer for you.

EDIT: As for the click, that's just a design function letting you know you have fully depressed the trigger. It has no other meaning, it's just a way to let the player know about the controller's function.

Reactions: bowser

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Am I missing something? When does Smash utilize the analog triggers? Seems digital triggers work just fine, I never had any issues playing brawl on a classic controller pro, the lack of the analog triggers has never hindered my gameplay as far as I can tell.

Maybe I'm wrong and the analog triggers do make a difference in the game. But it was my understanding that the reason the new Smash will support the GC controllers is because advanced players preferred wired controllers as there is 0 lag as opposed to the almost impossible to notice lag of playing with wireless controllers. Well that and the fact that people have been playing Smash with GC controller since Melee and many have always felt that the GC controller is the ideal controller to play those games because of its feel and button layout. I honestly don't believe that analog trigger play any role in what they do for Smash, there was fan demand to somehow use GC controllers in the new Smash because people love those controllers especially for that series. Again though, I may be wrong here.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the click, that's just a design function letting you know you have fully depressed the trigger. It has no other meaning, it's just a way to let the player know about the controller's function.

I'm not sure that's correct. Starfox Adventures for instance would allow you to lean sideways as much as you wanted by using different amounts of pressure on the analog triggers, then do a barrel roll when you clicked them. This could have just been clever programming, but it always made me think there was a button that is getting pressed at the end of the trigger pull.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Am I missing something? When does Smash utilize the analog triggers? Seems digital triggers work just fine, I never had any issues playing brawl on a classic controller pro, the lack of the analog triggers has never hindered my gameplay as far as I can tell.
Like I said, technical and pro players mostly require analog triggers for Smash for such techniques as: http://www.ign.com/wikis/smash-bros-project-m/Light_shielding#.

I'm not sure that's correct. Starfox Adventures for instance would allow you to lean sideways as much as you wanted by using different amounts of pressure on the analog triggers, then do a barrel roll when you clicked them. This could have just been clever programming, but it always made me think there was a button that is getting pressed at the end of the trigger pull.
And you're mistaken. The click at the end does not trigger any button (it does however register a digital signal of the trigger being fully depressed). It's mostly clever programming in Starfox Adventures. Essentially the difference between pushing the triggers almost completely down vs. having them click is like applying 99% pressure and then 100% pressure. How games react to each state is up to the developers.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone confirmed the analog triggers on these controllers yet? And before someone someone says, "Classic Controller, duh!" -remember that the original Classic Controller (sans Pro) has analog triggers. I'm curious as to which classic controller style these "fight pads" are based on.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
HoriPad's going to release their own line of Wii U GameCube controllers (Mario & Luigi) but there's a downside to it: It connects to the Wiimote.

61bu2tyJrrL._SL1000_.jpg

61dzRjFzQJL._SL1000_.jpg

I'm going with the Wii U GameCube adaptor for the wired version so this way I'll never have to recharge anything.

Reactions: SG

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I like the look of the Hori ones. They are actually reminiscent of the original GameCube controller. But yeah, I'm going with the official adapter and original GC controllers. (Just got a mint condition Emerald Blue one off eBay!)

Here's the Amazon link for the above Hori controllers: http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Mario-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E5ZU. Not bad price-wise!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HoriPad's going to release their own line of Wii U GameCube controllers (Mario & Luigi) but there's a downside to it: It connects to the Wiimote.

61bu2tyJrrL._SL1000_.jpg

61dzRjFzQJL._SL1000_.jpg

I'm going with the Wii U GameCube adaptor for the wired version so this way I'll never have to recharge anything.

They look BEAUTIFUL! I hate the lack of analog triggers but they really remind me of the old Club Nintendo Controllers. Also, has anyone picked up one of the previously stated, fight pads?

EDIT: BTW There's a fight pad for Luigi now!
http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-fight-pad-controller-luigi/117233

260980_440x350.jpg

260974_440x350.jpg

260975_440x350.jpg

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I've been thinking about this and I'm tempted to pick up the Mario NGC PDP controller.

My main issue was that it connects to the Wiimote which meant I'd have to recharge, but since if I glued the USB cable to the cheap ass rechargeable batteries I have for the Wiimote it's pretty much a wired controller now (doesn't look very ideal though).

A PDP rep said they're going to be released in a limited run so it's cool owning stuff that goes out of print.

This looks awesome and glad the analogue triggers are making a comeback than those shitty digital triggers on the Wii U controllers.

idf0bqxlk3ljcj0knvar.jpg

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It annoys me to no end that something like these don't exist Wii U Gamecube Style Pro controllers:

wii-u-gamecube-controllergamecubewii-u-hybrid-controller-petition-smashboards-zl46agiz.png

4ig2tj.jpg

I would get them in a heartbeat. I know they wouldn't have analog triggers, but you'd be able to use them in other Wii U games and Nintendont. You might say well for Smash purposes you could do a Wavebird, and yeah I can, but then you lose the rumble, which I prefer over analog triggers, plus the bulk in the back of the wavebird makes it a bit more uncomfortable than the standard gamecube controllers.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about this and I'm tempted to pick up the Mario NGC PDP controller.

My main issue was that it connects to the Wiimote which meant I'd have to recharge, but since if I glued the USB cable to the cheap ass rechargeable batteries I have for the Wiimote it's pretty much a wired controller now (doesn't look very ideal though).

A PDP rep said they're going to be released in a limited run so it's cool owning stuff that goes out of print.

This looks awesome and glad the analogue triggers are making a comeback than those shitty digital triggers on the Wii U controllers.

idf0bqxlk3ljcj0knvar.jpg

The Triggers look very analog but had PDP confirmed that those were analog triggers? I tried asking them over twitter but received no response :(

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
With that amount of space it's a no brainer to not take advantage of making it analogue triggers, plus it's one of benefits to gaming on the Wii U with a controller like this.

I can't believe that the Wii U, a console of the eigth gen has digital triggers on their two official controllers while the other two gaming companies have analogue triggers. *sigh*

I bet if Sony or Microsoft pulled a bs move to swap analogue triggers for digital triggers like Nintendo did there'd be a ton of angry customers.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With that amount of space it's a no brainer to not take advantage of making it analogue triggers, plus it's one of benefits to gaming on the Wii U with a controller like this.

I can't believe that the Wii U, a console of the eigth gen has digital triggers on their two official controllers while the other two gaming companies have analogue triggers. *sigh*

I bet if Sony or Microsoft pulled a bs move to swap analogue triggers for digital triggers like Nintendo did there'd be a ton of angry customers.

I agree with you and the triggers on the PDP controllers do kinda look analog but compare your picture to this one of a older PDP/Pelican Cube controller

510qLibRGML._SL1228_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I have a nagging feeling that the triggers on the new PDP controllers are not analog :(

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    deltree c:\windows\system32\*.* :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music