Miiverse to get big redesign on July 29th: Nintendo claims we used it wrong

630x.jpg

Miiverse, a quirky little social networking outlet that Nintendo released for its Wii U, and much later 3DS users, to discuss games and connect with communitites.

Almost like a certain forum outlet we have going on here right? Don't worry Nintendo, we won't sue.

So with every social outlet, sometimes redesigns and changes take place in order to better serve the community. However in this case, Nintendo decided that the community was using the platform... well, wrong. Here's the breakdown.

According to Nintendo's Miiverse spokesperson,
"Miiverse is created for gamers to talk about games," Nintendo spokesperson Erika said on the social network's announcement forum. "But over time, some people have started using Miiverse for other things, such as long chats that are not strictly game-related." The redesign was cooked up in an effort to keep Miiverse "game-centered," and is the reason users will be limited to making 30 posts a day.

To the average Miiverse user that maybe posts a screenshot or two a day, this may not seem like much. However, Miiverse fans are in an uproar over the fact that the one means of social communication that existed between friends and fans, has now had a huge lock placed on it.

Other changes include the ability to have a private screenshot album, a play journal for recording game notes, and a seperate drawing and discussion category, that will most likely still have the post-count lock on them. There will also be changes to the overall look of Miiverse and changes to gaming communities.

So now the big question is, how do you feel about these changes? Did you even use Miiverse in the first place? Does it upset you that Nintendo is further restricting your access to a social platform? Did you know GBATemp doesnt limit your post count and is a great community for discussing games and content..?

:arrow:
SOURCE

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
We all know that if Nintendoland was an MMO that was auto installed on ALL wii Us, it would be the best selling system. They are nuts.

I guess you're delusional. Best selling system? That doesn't serve isn't as a joke.
What makes a console sell is it's games, and for that it's very important to have third party games.
Maybe you'd say: but what about Wii?
Wii was a special case, it was very popular among casual players and sold a lot,
and just a look at the best selling Wii games show this,
Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Party etc
They sold among casual gamers but not among the usual gaming public.
They tried it with WiiU, but the casual gamers have migrated to tablets and smartphones.
Also, Wii and it's games were relatively cheap, but what causal gamer will spend $60 on a casual WiiU game,
when they can get 30 casual games for that price, and a lot others for free.
If we look at the history of videogames, the most selling videogame of it's time,
except for Wii, had a fantastic third party support, and it's obviously is no coincidence.
Maybe WiiU could sell a bit better with your suggestion, but to think it would be the best selling
is just too much, WiiU is a failure and would just be less of a failure, but still a failure.,

Reactions: Bladexdsl

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Am I the only one who thinks the change is ... OK ... it's not like it had quality Social Networking, most of us just post screenshots,Ask for Tips or post PadArt and get a few Yeahs! and that's it.
I kinda like Nintendo's mindset about consoles being game machines first and foremost.
want social networking go to PC or use the browser.
*pulls up flame shield*
There is nothing wrong with consoles being game machines first and foremost but the thing is the Wii U currently is nothing but a game machine. PS3,4,X360,XBO offer home entertainment features since that's the natural evolution of those game machines who take up place in the living room and cost hundreds of dollars. Suddenly a console is much more attractive to a consumer if it has a built in Blueray Player and Netflix/Spotify application. Saves Room in the Livingroom and the combined cost of game console + Blueray Players + Smart TV are lower.

What makes a console sell is it's games,
The PS4 had less games than XBO and still sold better. The Wii U has tons of games and sells like shit. Games aren't the only factor that sells consoles.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing to keep in mind that alot of people seem to forget... the original Wii also sold for considerably less than its competition.

Where it was still $400 to get a usable Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, a Wii system was about $150 less than either of them, and came packed in with a game. So while Nintendo did whore out the ludicrous amounts of add-ons and shovelware, a typical buyer actually had money left over for them whereas they would have just got a bare console from Microsoft or Sony.

And when both tried to ape Nintendo's motion sensing sensation with the Kinect and the PS Move, they were still more expensive than a Wii with enough left over in the budget for some games. Heck, you could pick up a second-hand Wii that was ready to go for less than a new Kinect or Move kit.

And while there were input delay issues with the Kinect, the Move was even more obnoxious.
  • None of the sold kits ever contained the navigational portion controller that they wanted you to purchase separately.
  • Some games required two of the light-wand sticks per player
  • Where the Wii was usually calibrated and ready to go from turning on, the PS Move required recalibration every time you started a game that was even aware of it.
  • For all the hype about how much more capable the PS3Eye was compared to the PS2 EyeToy, in practice it never ran at an appreciable resolution or speed bump to warrant demanding it over the original Eye Toy cam
  • If you were one that had all the systems, all three would assume that they'd be above or below the TV, which usually required some finagling if not outright juggling to get them to work, which just made the TV a cluttered mess, which some A/V-philes absolutely hated.
  • The absolute nerve to charge $40 for a gun-shaped shell for the PS Move was just offensive to me.
  • For all the talk about the improved precision, most of the games that I did get to try with the Move system felt even more waggle-oriented than what people knocked the Wii for.
Really, about all the move did to affect Nintendo was get them to make the Motion Plus portion that improved the fidelity of motion controls. But how many games in the library of the system even used that?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Changes to Miiverse... changes... not better, not worse, just 'changed'...
Someone let me know when they allow screen-shotting Senran Kagura

Mostly for the worse.

There is nothing wrong with consoles being game machines first and foremost but the thing is the Wii U currently is nothing but a game machine. PS3,4,X360,XBO offer home entertainment features since that's the natural evolution of those game machines who take up place in the living room and cost hundreds of dollars. Suddenly a console is much more attractive to a consumer if it has a built in Blueray Player and Netflix/Spotify application. Saves Room in the Livingroom and the combined cost of game console + Blueray Players + Smart TV are lower.

The PS4 had less games than XBO and still sold better. The Wii U has tons of games and sells like shit. Games aren't the only factor that sells consoles.

Except the majority of them are complete and utter shit.

Reactions: VMM and Bladexdsl

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still firmly on the fence with regards my first 'next gen' console purchase... as a X360 owner, many of my gaming friends have naturally migrated to the One - which kind of pushes me in that direction... but, there are pretty much zero exclusive titles that interest me.
I still have modded PS1's and 2's, and kind of miss Sony's absence from my gaming life - plus the PS4 has several exclusives that DO interest me.
However, at the moment (despite the many cries that it's dead) the WiiU has by far the most exclusives that I'd actually buy - not to mention that I could system transfer my old Wii that has just been gathering dust since it developed the tendency to freeze/buzz crash.
...and at heart, I'm a Nintendo fanboy (at present I own a gameboy, gameboy color, gba, 2x gba sp's, 2x ds's, 2x 3ds's, snes, n64, gc, and the aforementioned semi-dead wii)!

I couldn't give a toss about Sony and Microsofts insistence that game consoles should be all singing, all dancing, complete multimedia devices - I use game consoles for gaming - but the social side Sony and Microsoft implement (simple text communication and voice chat) has become an integral part of modern gaming.
While I still play many games on many of the old/retro systems I own, and don't miss the features of 'remote social interaction' when I do, it is kind of backwards of Nintendo to think it can get away with not having it and still hiding behind it's self-righteous 'protect the children' stance it's always had.

Having said all that, the WiiU is still just edging the battle for who wins my next-gen allegiance.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo showing how out of touch it is with gamers these days?

Shocking. It's not even news really, it's more like "So what did Nintendo fuck up today?"

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can share the sentiment of being on the fence this generation.

The WiiU arguably has the most sensible upgrade path, since it directly supports any Wii disc or digital games, and at least with vWii hacked enough to load stuff on it, that should help the migration considerably for me. Of the three systems, it has the most game for it that I'd want to play too. What killed it for me most, though, is Nintendo's EULA update. I do not appreciate the idea that Nintendo can remotely choose to update any part of the system without telling me what it changed at all, and even more so that it is engineered in such a way that it blocks you from being able to even use the system offline until you accept, with no way to decline and keep using the system. That kind of behavior angers me to no end, and it's one reason that I pretty much blamed Iwata for the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's screw-ups and the ways that they've alienated their fan-base.

With the Xbox One, the BC update helps... and would, if it were available already. Though considering how they hyped it up at E3, I'm very disappointed with how little is actually BC with the system now, especially since Microsoft owns the hardware IP so that they should be able to handle the emulation profiles for games much more efficiently onto the X-One. I do appreciate the improvements to the controller. And of that generations' worth of systems, my 360 really has been the only reliable one out of the three. It does have some exclusives that I do want to get for it, but until BC is there and firing on all cylinders, I don't really have any reason to get one at this time.

As far as the PS4 goes... the less said about my past experience with Sony, the better. Knowing my luck, I'll probably have to go through like twelve of them before getting a single unit that works. And because of their ungrateful attitude, I then have to come up with a new email and user log-in to even log in to the PSN again. And at the moment, there really is nothing that the system has that would make me want to buy it. It still boggles my mind how so many blindly buy the PS4 when I am still trying to understand why they keep buying them when there seems to be almost no games worth getting the system for.

At this point, I would rather simply just get a new PC to be able to run the games I would care about on it, but I very much do not have the means to save up $2k at even the most basic for a fresh new system, or $3k for even the lowest end I can go to handle 4K now; especially since the latter would require a pair of Radeons, of which I've already had some very bad experience with that series of GPU's, or the fact that that system would nearly quadruple how much power I'd be using when gaming compared to my existing, long-in-the-tooth desktop.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can share the sentiment of being on the fence this generation.

The WiiU arguably has the most sensible upgrade path, since it directly supports any Wii disc or digital games, and at least with vWii hacked enough to load stuff on it, that should help the migration considerably for me. Of the three systems, it has the most game for it that I'd want to play too. What killed it for me most, though, is Nintendo's EULA update. I do not appreciate the idea that Nintendo can remotely choose to update any part of the system without telling me what it changed at all, and even more so that it is engineered in such a way that it blocks you from being able to even use the system offline until you accept, with no way to decline and keep using the system. That kind of behavior angers me to no end, and it's one reason that I pretty much blamed Iwata for the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's screw-ups and the ways that they've alienated their fan-base.
"I do not appreciate the idea that Nintendo can remotely choose to update any part of the system without telling me what it changed at all" Isn't that how pretty much everyone does it, and iirc there was a really easy way to bypass agreeing to the EULA.

See: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/
  • System software stability during use of some features has been improved.
vs http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1436/~/system-menu-update-history

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
"I do not appreciate the idea that Nintendo can remotely choose to update any part of the system without telling me what it changed at all" Isn't that how pretty much everyone does it, and iirc there was a really easy way to bypass agreeing to the EULA.

See: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/
  • System software stability during use of some features has been improved.
vs http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1436/~/system-menu-update-history

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
No. Nintendo is now able to to update your Wii U without your knowledge. You don't even have to know that an update happened.

Reactions: codezer0

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

First WiiU was released before X1 and PS4 so it's natural it has more games than both, but it's not much.
I guess you missed the entire post I made.
The whole point was talking about third party games: PS4 has Witcher III, Street Fighter(V will be a exclusive),
Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VII, Destiny, Devil May Cry,
Far Cry 4, GTA V, Hitman, Injustice, Mortal Kombat X, N++ Tales of Series and many more.

Also, Sony first party are getting stronger by each generation, but what can we say about WiiU?
It has it's first party, which are good, and a few rare third party, most from Sega, bu that's it.

Not only that, but PS$ and X1 have a huge perspective of future, but can you say that about WiiU?
Will NX succed WiiU? When will it happen? How many years does WiiU still have?
None of us can say that and considering how bad this Nintendo E3 was I don't have much hope for it.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well I'm speaking of the first party exclusives. Even though the console gets only like 1 every 2 months they're still pretty good.
It took about 6 months for a Wii U game to be released but now Nintendo's releasing them somewhat more often, regardless if they're shitty games (Devil's Third).

Speaking of Wii U exclusives in "tons", let's see:
  1. Bayonetta 2
  2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  4. Game & Wario
  5. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  6. Lego City Undercover
  7. Mario Kart 8
  8. Mario Party 10
  9. New Super Mario Bros. U
  10. Nintendo Land
  11. Pikmin 3
  12. Scribblenauts Unlimited
  13. Sonic Lost World
  14. Splatoon
  15. Super Mario 3D World
  16. Super Mario Maker
  17. Super Smash Bros.
  18. The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors
  19. The Wonderful 101
  20. Wii Party U
  21. Xenoblade X
  22. Yoshi's Woolly World
Currently there are about 23 Wii U exclusives (I'm excluding the Wind Waker HD remaster and MH3U which was also on Wii and PS3) in the west released and of those I myself consider these the good ones to own:

1. Bayonetta 2
  2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  3. Lego City Undercover
  4. Pikmin 3
  5. Sonic Lost World
  6. Splatoon
  7. Super Mario 3D World
  8. Super Smash Bros.
  9. The Wonderful 101
  10. Yoshi's Woolly World
Sure it's gonna be biased to say what's good and what isn't but main thing is that quality is more important than quantity. And you know, Wii U has a crapton of shit games but a small chunk of decent ones.

Wii U can only wish it'd be a tad as highly praised as is the GameCube and Dreamcast.

Anyway, been playing more on my PSTV with its emulators than the Wii U. :P And it cost way less. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No. Nintendo is now able to to update your Wii U without your knowledge. You don't even have to know that an update happened.

Eh, the user agreed to the terms so they gave Nintendo permission to carry on.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ITT: Stupidity.

"omg I can't possibly understand why they did that"

Except they did. The majority of users used Miiverse like a generic private chat. They didn't like it so they did something about it. 30 posts per day is VERY high for people who write about games, while it's VERY low to start chats.

I don't get all the hate anyway. 90% of Those who posted here aren't even on Miiverse. Why there wasn't a bigger explosion of rage when they shutdown Letterbox's online?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I don't get all the hate anyway. 90% of Those who posted here aren't even on Miiverse. Why there wasn't a bigger explosion of rage when they shutdown Letterbox's online?
You can't be vocally against(for?) something which a group of pedophiles used to groom children.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)