Miiverse to get big redesign on July 29th: Nintendo claims we used it wrong

630x.jpg

Miiverse, a quirky little social networking outlet that Nintendo released for its Wii U, and much later 3DS users, to discuss games and connect with communitites.

Almost like a certain forum outlet we have going on here right? Don't worry Nintendo, we won't sue.

So with every social outlet, sometimes redesigns and changes take place in order to better serve the community. However in this case, Nintendo decided that the community was using the platform... well, wrong. Here's the breakdown.

According to Nintendo's Miiverse spokesperson,
"Miiverse is created for gamers to talk about games," Nintendo spokesperson Erika said on the social network's announcement forum. "But over time, some people have started using Miiverse for other things, such as long chats that are not strictly game-related." The redesign was cooked up in an effort to keep Miiverse "game-centered," and is the reason users will be limited to making 30 posts a day.

To the average Miiverse user that maybe posts a screenshot or two a day, this may not seem like much. However, Miiverse fans are in an uproar over the fact that the one means of social communication that existed between friends and fans, has now had a huge lock placed on it.

Other changes include the ability to have a private screenshot album, a play journal for recording game notes, and a seperate drawing and discussion category, that will most likely still have the post-count lock on them. There will also be changes to the overall look of Miiverse and changes to gaming communities.

So now the big question is, how do you feel about these changes? Did you even use Miiverse in the first place? Does it upset you that Nintendo is further restricting your access to a social platform? Did you know GBATemp doesnt limit your post count and is a great community for discussing games and content..?

:arrow:
SOURCE

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why everyone is upset about this. It's great news. Guys... Think of the children. /s

Really... I'm just not surprised. We could have saw this coming. All we can do now is get the popcorn and watch the fallout.
I honestly doubt it will change anything. Miiverse was pretty much just shitposting and screenshots. Everyone pretty much hated it so I dont really see it impacting people much.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Didn't this happen already?
That's exactly my point.
I posted this:

Osm70 said:
The correct behavior is:

Step 1: You click update
Step 2: New EULA shows up
Step 3a (You agree) You click agree
Step 4a Console updates
Step 3b (You disagree) You power off your console
Step 4b Your console stays on lower firmware until you decide to agree with the new EULA

What Nintendo did:

Step 1: You click update
Step 2: Console updates
Step 3: New EULA shows up
Step 4a (You agree) You click agree
Step 5a Done
Step 4b (You disagree) You power off your console
Step 5b you keep your console off until you decide to agree with the new EULA

You are NOT told the new terms, until you install the update and you have no way to decline them and keep using your console.
And you even replied to it.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
That's exactly my point.
I posted this:

And you even replied to it.

Well, I always update my Wii U so I don't really care about the whole charade.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Eshop design is better than that of playstation store
It's still being held back due to being primarily controlled with the GamePad. Try using a WUPC and tell me it didn't feel awkward, although with a Wiimote it should be a breeze (haven't tried it).

Reactions: ShonenJump

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Whether you update or not is not the point. The point is that Nintendo can change EULA without telling you.If they decide that you no longer can play games on it, there is nothing you can do.

I know that they won't do that, but they should not be able to.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Because I disagree with this one single sentence and not the other stuff.
I do agree with all the other points you make but I do not agree that games are the only factor why a console sells because it's simply not true.

When you say about quantity, we are still talking about games, if you disagree that games are the reason a console sells then you should talk about the things that make a console sells and aren't games, not go saying that WiiU has more games because that doesn't prove your point,
and I made a wall of text pointing it.

Eshop design is better than that of playstation store

You must be out of your goddamn mind to say that.
E-shop is slow, it's category's change every week and some titles just get lost in that shit.
One example is Earthworm Jim, a fantastic game that was ported to DSi,
but that you can only find if you search for it's name.
A new consumer that doesn't know the game, or that doesn't know it was ported to DSi
will never find it.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
When you say about quantity, we are still talking about games, if you disagree that games are the reason a console sells then you should talk about the things that make a console sells and aren't games, not go saying that WiiU has more games because that doesn't prove your point,

E-shop is slow, it's category's change every week and some titles just get lost in that shit.
A new consumer that doesn't know the game, or that doesn't know it was ported to DSi
will never find it.
The eShop like the rest of Nintendo's online service is still in a very primitive phase.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That isn't the point. People with attitudes like YOURS let companies get away with doing whatever they want with their (our) consoles.

Nintendo now has the permission from YOU to change the EULA, Terms of Service, etc whenever they want without telling you. More so, now they have the ability to force you to agree to a new EULA in order to actually use the console you paid for.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
That isn't the point. People with attitudes like YOURS let companies get away with doing whatever they want with their (our) consoles.

Nintendo now has the permission from YOU to change the EULA, Terms of Service, etc whenever they want without telling you. More so, now they have the ability to force you to agree to a new EULA in order to actually use the console you paid for.
If it comes to the worst, the user can always pull the plug and not update it.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Sony and Microsoft's do to;

From the PS4 EULA (http://www.scei.co.jp/ps4-eula/ps4_eula_en.html) "If SCE determines that you have violated this Agreement's terms, SCE may itself or may procure the taking of any action to protect its interests such as disabling access to or use of some or all System Software, disabling use of this PS4 system online or offline, termination of your access to PlayStation Network, denial of any warranty, repair or other services provided for your PS4 system, implementation of automatic or mandatory updates or devices intended to discontinue unauthorized use, or reliance on any other remedial efforts as reasonably necessary to prevent the use of modified or unpermitted use of System Software." Sony gets to remote brick if you violate EULA in any way. Oh, and don't even try to launch a class action lawsuit, because since you agreed to the EULA, you can't.

And my favourite, from the Xbox Live ToU (http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/legal/LiveTOU) "We may disable access to Microsoft and third-party content associated with your account for any reason. We may also remove or disable games, applications, content, or Services on your Authorized Device in order to protect the Services, application providers, network operators or any other affected or potentially affected parties" So MS gets to remote brick your console just because they think it would be funny. Oh, and like Sony, don't even try to launch a class action lawsuit, because since you agreed to the ToU, you can't.

Nintendo's EULA isn't really all that different from others.

Last edited by Monado_III,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a couple of things that bug me specifically with the WiiU's EULA update.
  1. When it is pushed unto the system, you get the EULA to read, but there is NO decline button, like there is on the 3DS.
  2. If you are not interested in accepting the update, you can't even just keep playing offline, like you could with the 3DS. Because once said update is pushed, it's going to demand you accept the new terms before you can do anything. Neither Sony nor Microsoft do this, and with good reason.
That is why I have less issue with Microsoft or Sony in that regard. If i don't care for the terms, I don't have to update, and i can still play the games I have. But Nintnedo - strangely - thinks they can take exception to this. And this is why I will never buy a WiiU with my own money.

Reactions: FusionGamer

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, if the next one is worse it can be blocked from updating. I'm fine updating the Wii U whenever it asks.

Since Nintendo can now auto-update your console with your already given consent, you won't even know when the next update will come. That's the kicker. By the time you know it'll be too late to block updates.

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

will never find it.

Im comparing the wiiu version with ps3/4 version. I have both systems i know it

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Since Nintendo can now auto-update your console with your already given consent, you won't even know when the next update will come. That's the kicker. By the time you know it'll be too late to block updates.

They normally announce it a couple days before it rolls out so those who don't want to have the new update simply disconnect their system from the internet. It's god damn simple and you're overthinking it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, this thing went really offtopic.

I honestly doubt it will change anything. Miiverse was pretty much just shitposting and screenshots. Everyone pretty much hated it so I dont really see it impacting people much.
I want to say that isn't true, but then I really shouldn't take this post seriously anyway.

D

Deleted User

Erika makes the Miiverse update announcements before everyone else, Erika is with Nintendo of Europe, Satan is the only religious word not blocked by European Miiverse's profanity filter.
Erika and her update are products of Satan.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Erika makes the Miiverse update announcements before everyone else, Erika is with Nintendo of Europe, Satan is the only religious word not blocked by European Miiverse's profanity filter.
Erika and her update are products of Satan.
Yet they blocked the word `Bastard` which is part of a title from an eShop game...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom