Microsoft launches new all-digital Xbox One S edition next month

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 16, 2019.

1. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Have you not been paying attention? Physical media is down quite a bit every single year, less stores carry it, and billboard started tracking streaming services since physical media is on its last legs or at the very least becoming niche. Console makers arent going to support a niche medium since it just doesnt make any sense for them to do so. Back to cds, whats even more alarming is that hip-hop (the most popular genre in the us, also has a younger audience than many other genres) often doesnt even release on cd (even the big artists). This suggests the only people buying cds are older folk who dont want to change, this isnt sustainable. Best Buy starting pulling cds from their stores for a reason!

Last edited by kevin corms, Apr 17, 2019
  2. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    The big reason for me not going all digital is that I don't want to lose my games. I've lost my MS account before and if I had digital games they would of been lost too. Nice to know I can always make a new account and use my discs no matter how stupid Sony or MS are.

Last edited by MrCokeacola, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    I don't how it is on the Xbox one store with digital sales (I had an xbox one for a short period of time) but this would seems only beneficial for people who like constant sales of games. I'm pretty sure physical is dying for games since now you got to download day one patches to even play games but at least you own them. I'm all digital for the PS4 but for next gen I don't what I want to do yet since hearing that story about Wolfenstein for the Nintendo switch having a physical box with an digital code... so much frustration regarding the future.

Last edited by Logan97, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    And if they do they'll face a backlash just like they did with the "always online" requirement and be forced to change their plan.

But, no, let's do things the GBA Temp way and claim the sky is falling down at every little announcement made by anyone about anything!

5. Hielkenator2

Hielkenator2 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2017
    Albania
    ? The xbox one S with the 4k Blu ray drive has been around 200- 249 here in the netherlands for soooooo long now.
    How is this even reasonable?

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    "B..but, it's all digital! It's convenient" they'll say, pfft, please.

7. Hielkenator2

Hielkenator2 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2017
    Albania
    You Do realize This means no more second hand games? No more collecting? and this is NOT an option, the dic based system will not be produced anymore.

8. Multimegamander

Multimegamander GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    lmao, video's gone

9. voddy

voddy No Title Available

Jul 14, 2013
    United States
    Would be better if that excuse of a console would be gone

Bladexdsl and Multimegamander like this.
  10. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I had a feeling that would block comments. I didn't think they would go as far as to delete it altogether.

11. coolcono

coolcono Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2006
    It does come with 3 games....

12. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Best console for people that only plays cod,fifa and fortnite.

13. dominater01

dominater01 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    perfect for homebrew emulators on dev mode

14. Onlyd

Onlyd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2019
    United States
    Pa
    So no purpose after the life cycle of the console and Microsoft shuts down the Xbox 1 servers 5years from now

15. 3dsgametime

3dsgametime Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2015
    Canada
    Toronto
    I have nothing against a digital only console, but it's not for me, and especially not at just a measly $50 discount. Put it out at $149 or $159 and that would be a true budget system. While I do buy some digital versions of games that are available on disc, I still prefer my physical media as it makes it a lot easier when selling the system and being able to include the games with it down the road, and there is some value to those physical discs even if sold alone to buy another game down the road.

The only thing I don't like about digital versions is that you can't sell it as a bundle when you're finished with the system. No value to them in the used market, unless you end up wanting to get rid of your Xbox account as well, with the system.

16. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Smart thing for MS to do is in 5 years or so just say, download this special update and your xbone becomes a Windows 10 PC. Then they can continue selling games on it from their store. Gives the console a second life.

17. Onlyd

Onlyd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2019
    United States
    Pa
    yeah thats an decent idea, maybe even a dual boot like the og ps3?

18. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    I'm not going to buy this I would prefer a system that uses disc & besides I have my eyes set on the Nintendo Switch Mini anyway.

Onlyd likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted