Antarctica

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont blame them, Linux is more future proof.

most likely windows will run on Linux soon...

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can see Windows turning into a GUI for Linux.
The Windows Kernel will be replaced with Linux, Windows desktop GUI, filepaths altered slightly etc.

It's a good thing.

Reactions: migles

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
"Known linux enthusiast"?
Okay then help me out- [I am inexperienced with Linux and specifically GRUB] what version of GRUB do I need to boot Kali using Clover?

OnTopic:
I am surprised M$ bothered. They have a big enough market to not have to take this route.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so they are giving up on windows eh?
Gt+grade+3+gt+autistic+retarded+fat+kid+in+my+english+_be01238a30255749b940b9477f02a73a.png

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wonder what's @Foxi4 opinion about this.

It's nothing too big though. Is only an OS for managed ethernet switches and linux dominates that area.
I think it's a good move. Linux is unavoidable in the server space in the same way that Windows is unavoidable in the consumer PC space.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if only Linux was proprietary and not open source/GNU I'd love to see MS squirm at a tidalwave of Lawsuits well Apple could always sue cause OSX is Linux based

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting. I wonder if it will eventually get to the point where Windows is built on Linux. That would be great news for everyone, it would make it a bit easier to port between platforms.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most interesting, Microsoft would seem like the last company to do it, for a number of reasons, but this is invariably a really good move and I well...I've always wanted to learn Linux. The problem is I never know where to begin, :P

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
"Known linux enthusiast"?
Okay then help me out- [I am inexperienced with Linux and specifically GRUB] what version of GRUB do I need to boot Kali using Clover?
When it comes down to it, the bootloader you use doesn't really matter. I always either go with the default or if they give me the option to choose, I go with GRUB2.

Most interesting, Microsoft would seem like the last company to do it, for a number of reasons, but this is invariably a really good move and I well...I've always wanted to learn Linux. The problem is I never know where to begin, :P
Your best bet if you are coming from Windows would be either Linux Mint or Zorin OS. Or if you want something more "Mac-Like" elementary OS is a great start there.
90% of my Linux knowledge though came from me just going through distrowatch, then testing every since disto on there, spending weeks to months learning about as I used them.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
if only Linux was proprietary and not open source/GNU I'd love to see MS squirm at a tidalwave of Lawsuits well Apple could always sue cause OSX is Linux based
What are you talking about? If linux was proprietary, it would probably never have left Linus's own computer, let alone it have been grown to what it is today. It would also certainly not have been chosen by microsoft to build upon to begin with.

No idea why you're dragging apple into this, but OSX is actually based on unix, not linux (though admittedly, linux is based on unix as well). And no, you can't change the suer to google because android is linux-based...that fact doesn't make them the owners (besides...the whole shebang with legal claims and obfuscation is one of the reasons linux grew as well on servers: the thing was free to use and adapt without lawyers making threats).

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Waste of time. Why use a Linux distribution die-rolled together by an incompetent company if there are tons of long-term proven Linux distributions made by people who know how Un*x actually works (not stealing and claiming as their own as M$ did). I see no use in all this.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Waste of time. Why use a Linux distribution die-rolled together by an incompetent company if there are tons of long-term proven Linux distributions made by people who know how Un*x actually works (not stealing and claiming as their own as M$ did). I see no use in all this.
What an ignorant statement to make; you can't steal something that's free and open to everyone. Android, iOS, Mac OS X, Smart TVs, the router you connect to the internet with, NAS devices, all "stealing and claiming [Linux or Unix] as their own," right?

This story comes as no shock, though. Microsoft was reported as one of the top contributors to the Linux kernel in 2012. It's unlikely they'd contribute to the Linux kernel if they weren't actually using it for something (unless they wanted to provide interoperability for something they created to improve its popularity). Admittedly, I kind of wish they were doing something more with it — I'm a Linux and OS X user (the latter was more of an unfortunate compromise), but I'd trade them both in a heartbeat if Microsoft rebuilt Windows on top of Unix or Linux. Mostly because Linux user interfaces are subpar and OS X (well, pretty much any Apple product) reeks of Apple's arrogance.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This doesn't mean much. Quite frankly, it's more likely that Android start to dominate the PC market than Microsoft building a linux-based Windows. They already have their own kernel and they worked very hard to make sure that most software from the 90s still run on nowadays Windows.

They are not going to do something as risky as replace their kernel and, thus, have to create new APIs and whatnot to get windows software to run on the linux kernel, with the additional risk of Windows software not running as good as in the NT kernel anyway.

Software is what is most important. That's why every people I know who uses Linux or OS X, have either dual-boot with Windows, a Windows virtual machine or at the very least Wine installed. Windows has a huge software catalog and although it's not the most stable or even best OS, it works. And sadly Microsoft will always have as a priority having backwards-compatibility with old Windows software, they're not going to make any drastic changes soon. They know that what matter is not Windows itself, but Windows software

Last edited by RodrigoDavy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later