Microsoft has developed its own Linux distro

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Lilith Valentine, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm not surprised. It's no secret that Linux is the best server OS, and Microsoft surely knows this as well.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    i dont blame them, Linux is more future proof.

most likely windows will run on Linux soon...

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I can see Windows turning into a GUI for Linux.
    The Windows Kernel will be replaced with Linux, Windows desktop GUI, filepaths altered slightly etc.

It's a good thing.

migles likes this.
  5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I admit it: my mind is blown. Okay, won't be an OS meant for home use, but still...very nice. :)

6. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    So that's the reason why Windows 10 will be the last version ever released by MS ;)

7. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    "Known linux enthusiast"?
    Okay then help me out- [I am inexperienced with Linux and specifically GRUB] what version of GRUB do I need to boot Kali using Clover?

OnTopic:
    I am surprised M$ bothered. They have a big enough market to not have to take this route.

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    so they are giving up on windows eh?
    [​IMG]

9. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Why is everyone immediately assuming this means the end of Windows? It's just for servers, and it seems to be an experimental thing as much as anything else.

DarkFlare69 and dimmidice like this.
  10. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I wonder what's @Foxi4 opinion about this.

It's nothing too big though. Is only an OS for managed ethernet switches and linux dominates that area.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I think it's a good move. Linux is unavoidable in the server space in the same way that Windows is unavoidable in the consumer PC space.

Subtle Demise and Sakitoshi like this.
  12. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    if only Linux was proprietary and not open source/GNU I'd love to see MS squirm at a tidalwave of Lawsuits well Apple could always sue cause OSX is Linux based

13. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    That's interesting. I wonder if it will eventually get to the point where Windows is built on Linux. That would be great news for everyone, it would make it a bit easier to port between platforms.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Most interesting, Microsoft would seem like the last company to do it, for a number of reasons, but this is invariably a really good move and I well...I've always wanted to learn Linux. The problem is I never know where to begin, :P

15. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    When it comes down to it, the bootloader you use doesn't really matter. I always either go with the default or if they give me the option to choose, I go with GRUB2.

Your best bet if you are coming from Windows would be either Linux Mint or Zorin OS. Or if you want something more "Mac-Like" elementary OS is a great start there.
    90% of my Linux knowledge though came from me just going through distrowatch, then testing every since disto on there, spending weeks to months learning about as I used them.

the_randomizer likes this.
  16. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    What are you talking about? If linux was proprietary, it would probably never have left Linus's own computer, let alone it have been grown to what it is today. It would also certainly not have been chosen by microsoft to build upon to begin with.

No idea why you're dragging apple into this, but OSX is actually based on unix, not linux (though admittedly, linux is based on unix as well). And no, you can't change the suer to google because android is linux-based...that fact doesn't make them the owners (besides...the whole shebang with legal claims and obfuscation is one of the reasons linux grew as well on servers: the thing was free to use and adapt without lawyers making threats).

17. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Sep 17, 2003
    Swaziland
    Switzerland
    Waste of time. Why use a Linux distribution die-rolled together by an incompetent company if there are tons of long-term proven Linux distributions made by people who know how Un*x actually works (not stealing and claiming as their own as M$ did). I see no use in all this.

18. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    What an ignorant statement to make; you can't steal something that's free and open to everyone. Android, iOS, Mac OS X, Smart TVs, the router you connect to the internet with, NAS devices, all "stealing and claiming [Linux or Unix] as their own," right?

This story comes as no shock, though. Microsoft was reported as one of the top contributors to the Linux kernel in 2012. It's unlikely they'd contribute to the Linux kernel if they weren't actually using it for something (unless they wanted to provide interoperability for something they created to improve its popularity). Admittedly, I kind of wish they were doing something more with it — I'm a Linux and OS X user (the latter was more of an unfortunate compromise), but I'd trade them both in a heartbeat if Microsoft rebuilt Windows on top of Unix or Linux. Mostly because Linux user interfaces are subpar and OS X (well, pretty much any Apple product) reeks of Apple's arrogance.

19. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    This doesn't mean much. Quite frankly, it's more likely that Android start to dominate the PC market than Microsoft building a linux-based Windows. They already have their own kernel and they worked very hard to make sure that most software from the 90s still run on nowadays Windows.

They are not going to do something as risky as replace their kernel and, thus, have to create new APIs and whatnot to get windows software to run on the linux kernel, with the additional risk of Windows software not running as good as in the NT kernel anyway.

Software is what is most important. That's why every people I know who uses Linux or OS X, have either dual-boot with Windows, a Windows virtual machine or at the very least Wine installed. Windows has a huge software catalog and although it's not the most stable or even best OS, it works. And sadly Microsoft will always have as a priority having backwards-compatibility with old Windows software, they're not going to make any drastic changes soon. They know that what matter is not Windows itself, but Windows software

Last edited by RodrigoDavy, Oct 1, 2015
  20. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Do you even GNU?