Microsoft clarifies stance on deactivating developer accounts

169a7ffe-c2c7-463a-a77c-21239c9ac388.jpg

For the past ten days or so, it appeared as if Microsoft might be deactivating inactive accounts for its popular Developer Mode for Xbox consoles and Windows. Today, Director of Project Management at Xbox, Jason Ronald, Tweeted that the deactivations were accidental and they are looking into restoring them. "We have no plans to remove or disable Developer Mode on Xbox consoles," stated Ronald unequivocally. "We continue to believe in and support a healthy independent app and game development community on Xbox." He goes on to say if your account was affected, you can email them at [email protected] to have it restored faster.

Several posts had appeared on social media questioning an email from Microsoft informing them their Developer account has been suspended due to inactivity, usually with at least one other person responding to confirm they also received the email. Last week, reddit user u/The Axodoxian posted an email they received informing them of the suspension, and Twitter user @Nanjizal_net posted the same email on the same day. GBAtemp user @tech3475 also posted a thread on our forums about the same thing.

The email allegedly redirects users to the Code of Conduct for Developer Mode, which does stipulate that Developer accounts need to stay in good standing, including "staying active in the Store," though exactly what defines active or inactive is not specified. The Code of Conduct page has also not been updated since September 28, 2021, so while the policy may have existed for some time, it appears that Microsoft has only recently started to enforce it.

Developer Mode has been popular on the Xbox consoles as it allowed users to run Retroarch and emulators on their Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S consoles with only a small fee required to get a Developer account. Many saw it as a clever way for Microsoft to allow hardcore users to run emulators without the need to modify their consoles, severely limiting the number of people interested in hacking the two most recent Xbox consoles.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Bro, "the has no games made for itself" where did u get this info from because they have been feeding u with lies. Trust me, u need to widen ur search when looking for Xbox games.

"Lack of games, either released or announced, is absurd at this point" - u sound like a paid anti Xbox agent bro... I would have listened to you if u actually made any sense but guess u are just another fan boy $hit show...
all you have to do to shut me up is tell a relevant game that is available on Xbox Series but not on PC or Xbox One. Even if you could, how you would argue that losing all non-xbox systems removing the dev mode is a good thing?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Still if they have done once they can and will do it again eventually. You all know Microsoft is gonna have to drop support for Xbox Ones one day and the things are already old enough that more that several units are having disc reading issues, so... make of that what you wish.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why are you complaining?

Microsoft seem to think it's impossible to hack, I am inclined to agree.
Look at unpatched switches on ebay. Look at ps3's that can still take CFW. As soon as there's a hardware revision that blocks this stuff, the prices of those that can shoot up dramatically.

And nobody can buy a ps5 or series x to begin with; because if you have literally no life to be able to place the order for one and beat the scalper bots hoarding inventory, you probably aren't making the money to afford one, either.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares if some scene bottom feeders lose the ability to run retroarch?

I don't know him, but his videos are borderline unwatchable and a complete waste of time. He should stick to game development.

Who cares what some internet anon thinks about emulation on an emulation site? Don't like what people do? Then grow a pair, thanks.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Snintendog

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who cares what some internet anon thinks about emulation on an emulation site? Don't like what people do? Then grow a pair, thanks.

Don't like what microsoft do? Grow a pair.

FFS, gbatemp is not really an emulation site & kiddies complaining because their l337 hack (paying Microsoft) no longer works is pitiful.

Look at unpatched switches on ebay. Look at ps3's that can still take CFW. As soon as there's a hardware revision that blocks this stuff, the prices of those that can shoot up dramatically.

And nobody can buy a ps5 or series x to begin with; because if you have literally no life to be able to place the order for one and beat the scalper bots hoarding inventory, you probably aren't making the money to afford one, either.

There are no exploits for series x and there won't be.

Microsoft are in a unique position that they produce their own OS & VM from scratch.

Any exploit that could get through all of that is not going to get burned on console hacking, if it indeed exists to find.

Last edited by smf,

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@smf I'm curious as to why you post on a forum dedicated to emulation and hacking old games and consoles.

Is there a way to use Dev Mode without an internet connection? Steam's offline mode comes to mind. I remember an event a while back where indie devs released a bunch of time-sensitive demos on Steam, so I downloaded them, went offline and played them at my leisure. Could a similar trick keep Dev Mode running?

JustMeDaFaq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@smf I'm curious as to why you post on a forum dedicated to emulation and hacking old games and consoles.

Is there a way to use Dev Mode without an internet connection? Steam's offline mode comes to mind. I remember an event a while back where indie devs released a bunch of time-sensitive demos on Steam, so I downloaded them, went offline and played them at my leisure. Could a similar trick keep Dev Mode running?
You can't start applications without beeing logged in, in xbox dev mode :)

Reactions: EvilJagaGenius

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And my interest for a Xbox increases again, but It would not surprise me if they really disable it in the future when emulators get good enough.

Reactions: Pipistrele

SpaceMunkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
all you have to do to shut me up is tell a relevant game that is available on Xbox Series but not on PC or Xbox One. Even if you could, how you would argue that losing all non-xbox systems removing the dev mode is a good thing?
Seriously? Is that the best u can come up with? You are actually attacking Xbox solely for releasing games on other platform? U have problems with gamers being able to play a game they like wherever gamers wish? U want games to be available on single platform just like Nintendo and Sony - oh wait, Sony is also started releasing their games on pc.

Bro, the gaming industry is focusing on future by ditching the closed minded idea of locking their games for a single system and I advise u to prepare for the future leave ur closed minded ideas in the past or else u will never be able to enjoy the games.

And as for the developers account, I think u missed the part where the article clarifies that Microsoft team accepted it was a mistake and are reinstating the accounts.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Dedicated to? gbatemp is a rom site that tried to go legit. Emulation gets very very little attention on here, you'd go elsewhere for emulation. It only gets mentioned because it's part of homebrew for hacked consoles.

xbox series x dev mode isn't hacking.

• Wow

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Dedicated to? gbatemp is a rom site that tried to go legit. Emulation gets very very little attention on here, you'd go elsewhere for emulation. It only gets mentioned because it's part of homebrew for hacked consoles.

xbox series x dev mode isn't hacking.
Emulation gets little attention on GBATEMP?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to see it finally resolved (my account also affected), but agreed with many that this wasn't an error - they decided to dip their toe in the water, read the lacklash, and quickly backpedalled! Alls well that ends well though (I was kicking off almost MVG-style at first, thinking my Series S had just become a £250 doorstop!)

soup1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

For the past ten days or so, it appeared as if Microsoft might be deactivating inactive accounts for its popular Developer Mode for Xbox consoles and Windows. Today, Director of Project Management at Xbox, Jason Ronald, Tweeted that the deactivations were accidental and they are looking into restoring them. "We have no plans to remove or disable Developer Mode on Xbox consoles," stated Ronald unequivocally. "We continue to believe in and support a healthy independent app and game development community on Xbox." He goes on to say if your account was affected, you can email them at [email protected] to have it restored faster.

Several posts had appeared on social media questioning an email from Microsoft informing them their Developer account has been suspended due to inactivity, usually with at least one other person responding to confirm they also received the email. Last week, reddit user u/The Axodoxian posted an email they received informing them of the suspension, and Twitter user @Nanjizal_net posted the same email on the same day. GBAtemp user @tech3475 also posted a thread on our forums about the same thing.

The email allegedly redirects users to the Code of Conduct for Developer Mode, which does stipulate that Developer accounts need to stay in good standing, including "staying active in the Store," though exactly what defines active or inactive is not specified. The Code of Conduct page has also not been updated since September 28, 2021, so while the policy may have existed for some time, it appears that Microsoft has only recently started to enforce it.

Developer Mode has been popular on the Xbox consoles as it allowed users to run Retroarch and emulators on their Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S consoles with only a small fee required to get a Developer account. Many saw it as a clever way for Microsoft to allow hardcore users to run emulators without the need to modify their consoles, severely limiting the number of people interested in hacking the two most recent Xbox consoles.

i would've thought this was intentional but they backpedaled wayy too quickly for that so im like 80% sure its an actual mistake

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe a stupid question, but does anyone know if you can get banned for using retroarch in dev mode? that's all I'm using it for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs