Hacking MicroSDHC problems... see inside.

MHx_scythe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a CycloDS and a 4gb A-Data card, which both arrived today. When I plugged it in to my computer, it recognized fine, and then I made the mistake of moving my files over, instead of copying, being low on HD space. When I unplug the MicroSDHC, I put it into my Cyclo, and it says to insert it. I'm now thinking I have a defective MicroSD slot on my Cyclo, but no, I plug it into my computer again, and alas, it shows up as "Removable Disk" with 0kb of total space and 0kb used.
wtf.gif
hate2.gif
I'm about to kill somebody, because I'm pretty sure you can't return items you've purchased online (Newegg.com).

If somebody could help me or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
cool.gif

MHx_scythe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try that it tells me that there is no drive inserted in I:.

EDIT: I did some research, and found out that SDHC cards require a different kind of reader, not just a regular SD reader, which I have. Could me using it in a regular one have corrupted it? Or will I simply need to find an SDHC card reader?

tedmg09130913

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your card reader is recent, it should have no trouble reading sdhc cards. After all the card worked before. Maybe you might try setting up a partition on the card. The easiest I found to set up partitions on a drive was to boot using a linux rescue cd. I used the cd known as Gparted to partition several drives. Gparted is a newer version of qtparted.

MHx_scythe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your help, but as I said, I don't believe mine supports SDHC, it says on the side "SD-miniSD-microSD/Transflash-MMC-Mobile-RSMMC-DV."

Also, I think the reader might have corrupted the card, because it's not like I can format it, it doesn't even show up as having space on it in Explorer.

EDIT: To answer what you said, it isn't a recent reader, I bought it about 7-10 months ago. Maybe if I but a new one, it will recognize it as corrupted so I could format it, or even better as working!

tedmg09130913

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In windows If a drive doesn't have a certain type of partition, it won't show up at all;(windows typically won't show linux partitions for instance or disks with invalid partition information). A newer version of linux;(such as sabayon linux or fedora) will show up almost any type of partition;(with the exception of disks with invalid partition information). Your card problems might be caused by something else, But you might want to consider it before doing something expensive. Read the manual for your card reader. If it says it supports cards larger than 2 gigabytes then it probably supports sdhc;(as far as I know all cards that are larger than 2 gigabytes are sdhc cards). A lot of the newer card readers will support card sizes of 8 and 32 gigabytes. If your card reader says that if supports cards of that size then if certainly supports sdhc. Remember that if your card reader didn't support sdhc then the sdhc card probably wouldn't have been recognized in the first place.

MHx_scythe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.k., I don't really understand what you said about the linux thing, because I've never used it before. As far as I know, it doesn't support SDHC, but I threw away the card reader box the day I recieved it, so theres no way of checking. If you hav AIM or MSN etc this would be much easier.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Found it on the official webpage; here is mine: http://www.sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=1220
Notice how it doesn't say SDHC exclusively, and this one: http://www.sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=2540
Notice this time how it DOES say it supports SDHC. I think I need to update my reader is all.

EDIT2: I just realized how this wouldn't explain how it was being read as a normal drive on my regular SD reader...

roflmywaffle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have another SD(HC) cart to test with?

If it is the MicroSDHC, I wouldn't worry too much. Most items on Newegg are returnable (minus restocking) or exchangeable (no restocking), and those with limitations are usually exchange only (what you'd want).

Newegg's Return Merchandise Authorization Request Page can be found at that link.

Usually, they're more reasonable by phone though. A few minutes on hold, and they're like, "OK, send it back for a full refund. We'll give you $10 for the $8.xx in shipping, you'll need to buy the label. If that isn't enough money to ship it, pay more and call back. Buy a new one in the meantime, and we'll post it to your account."

This is personal experience. Newegg has awesome customer service. Rebate company screws me over? Newegg gives me the rebate, no hassle. Defective product? Full compensation. Excellent company.

MHx_scythe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have another SD(HC) cart to test with?

Yes, lol, I have another regular SD and it works fine in the same reader, I also have the page you showed me in another tab. Tomorrow I'm going to Best Buy and getting an SDHC specific reader, so I'll post back with details then.

EDIT: Hey again, I'm back from my escapades at Best Buy, and still no luck with the SDHC reader...I guess ill try and get a recovery linux thingy and give that a shot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER