chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
A couple of months ago my microSD erased itself. I thought it was due to static, because I forgot it in my pants pocket inside it's USB reader, and then I climbed into my static-filled bed.

I lost everything, but I learned my lesson: keep it away from static-prone surfaces at all costs. So, that's what I did.

eventually I got most of my stuff back, and I created a backup of it on my laptop last week.

However, about 10 minutes ago when I turned it on, the menu froze. When I reset the DS, I got the red "menu?" message where it should say "loading"

IT ERASED ITSELF AGAIN. And took a chunk of memory with it. It used to read 3.71GB when I checked it's properties. After the random erasing, however, it said 3.62.

I didn't have it on any staticy surfaces, and if I had the menu never would have loaded up the first time. It just froze and erased itself. Do I have a faulty microSD?

it's an OEM 4GB from dealextreme.com. (that would probably explain it, right?)

*sigh* now to go find .sav files so I don't have to start over....
hate2.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have never heard of static electricity affecting a microSD card as you describe, so I would hazard a guess that it was probably something else that caused your microSD card to become corrupted.

Reformat your microSD card by following the directions in the FAQ stickied to the top of the DSTT forum under "Q: My DSTT used to work, but doesn't work any more. What do I do?"

Especially follow the advice at step 11. I'm guessing you didn't follow something there, and you corrupted your microSD card. Also, it's possible that your microSD reader is the culprit. Those crappy ones that come with the DSTT and other flash carts are notorious for causing corruption. If it happens again, try using a different microSD reader. And of course, always make frequent backups of your save files.

-Bri

Trigger Rat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this same problem on 4 different card. You are going to have this problem if you have the CNDSTT version. I fixed by putting v1.16 on it.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trigger Rat, just run the hacked (fake-killer disabled) 1.17 firmware.

chrisman01, if your DSTT is a fake and you killed it with fake-killer firmware, follow the directions in the FAQ to restore it, and then put the hacked fake-killer disabled firmware on it instead of the official firmware.

-Bri

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
I know for a fact that mine is real. I opened it up and took a look inside before I even put it in my DS.

I'm in a computer repair class, and one thing that's been crammed into us day after day is to keep storage devices away from static.

I'm pretty sure the problem is static, not the DSTT. I went for about 2 months before the card erased itself the 2nd time. Although I still don't know what caused the static...
wacko.gif

I reformatted it again and got back the missing chunk of memory, and it let me copy back my backed up stuff without a problem. I'm going to back this thing up whenever I get the chance now.

yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson