coolm3n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello Gbatemp community !

Once again, i require your help. I installed atmosphere on my switch and so far, everything work fine and i'm having a great time playing some game i would never have tried otherwise.
But my greed is limitless and now i want more game to fit on my switch !
I've bought myself a 256 go micro sd card but now i wonder how can i transfert my data from one to another.
Considering i'm using a emunand and that the guide i followed made me do some weird formating stuff ( Having 2 partition, one of 90 go and the other taking up the rest except 16mo for some reason) , what do i need to make the transfert work properly ?

Here what i tried so far :
I tried copying the card on the other with mini partition tool, but with the weird setup i had, i could'nt expand the partition without deleting a second partition i had on the card. So i did deleted it, booted up my switch to Emunand atmosphere and everything worked until i booted up gold leaf and installed some game. The install completed sucefully but when i came back to menu the switch crashed and would'nt boot up anymore with that micro sd in it. when i've put back the old one, it worked again.

Each try taking a couple hour of transfert, i would appreciate if any of you could guide me over this operation.

Thanks you for your help.

NemesisPrime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
There is a software that can do that. It seems to be a bit buggy but you can check the comments there.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/

another guide following a different method below.

source: post made about 5 days ago on /r/SwitchHaxing on Reddit [cannot post link]

Guide on how to switch to a bigger microsd while bringing emunand

"
I haven't done this myself but its how I'm planning to do it when i get a bigger micro sd card. if anyone who tries out this guide, if you could share your results in the comments

Requirements

1. Minitool Partition Wizard on windows 10 (or some other alternative, but the guide is on minitool, so you're going to have to infer on what to do)

2. External storage device you can use while using the micro sd on your pc or 2 micro sd readers

3. Time, moving from a 64gb card will probably take 3 hours for the first guide
Guide with one sd card reader and a external storage device (ignore the sizes of my sd card and external storage device)

1. back up everything you have on the sd card with home brew and back up your external storage device because its going to be wiped

2. put your external storage device and micro sd with homebrew into your pc

3. Open up Minitool Partition Wizard and select 'Disk and Partition Management"

4. right click your external storage device partition and click delete. DONT LOOK AT MY MICRO SD SIZES OR YOULL BE CONFUSED

5. right click the 29.16gb partition on your sd card and press copy

6. scroll down and select your external usb device and press next

7. click logical and switch it to primary and press finish

8. click apply in the top left corner and wait until it finishes

9. now eject your micro sd and put in your bigger micro sd

10. right click your bigger sd and delete it

11. right click your 29.16gb parition on your external storage device and press copy

12. select your bigger sd card and press next

13. type 16 in the unallocate space before box and press finish

14. right click the not 29.16gb partition on your bigger micro sd and click create

15. change the file system to fat32 or exfat and name it SD

16. put the back up of your smaller micro sd into your bigger micro sd

17. now youre done and you can do whatever

"

Last edited by NemesisPrime,
Reactions: MUDD_BR

coolm3n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
here what i tried this morning, i,ve formated my 256 go card so it has 2 partition. the first one(that the main one where you install game and stuff) i've left 16 mo(unalocated) before and 29.4 go after( unformated partition).

i used these 29.4 go to copy the second partition from my old sd card. ( i guess this second partition is the emummc). I also did a simple drag and drop transfert from one card to another to transfert everything of the main partition.

I've also seen from a youtube video that show i should go in emunand menu on hetake and press the migrate button and it will ask to repair the emunand partition. I did that but when i press continue to repair, the prompt disapear and nothing happen.

So far, it launch emunand and everything seem to be working. Tonight i will try installing some game and see if it will crash like last time.

coolm3n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it seem to have worked. i installed a couple game and retroarch and played for about 15 min.

So recap of what you need to upgrade your sd.
with minipartition tool create a new partiton on the new card. (fat32 or exfat work i think) , make it as big as you can but let 16mo before unused and about 29.4 go after.
partition that 29.4 go unformated.
copy the 29.x go partition from your old card.
and then transfert all your stuff from one card to another.
Optional: you can go in hetake emummc menu and hit migrate to try to repair emummc to but if may not work.

if you can launch your cfw emummc after that, you are good i guess. i shall play a litke bit more before confirming this is 100% stable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: S3X