The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
1704142386024.png

Well... sort of. The first ever design of Mickey Mouse that first appeared in 1928's animated short "Steamboat Willie" has officially, finally, entered the public domain, and can be used, reused and abused by all. Just this design though, more recent designs are still cooyrighted by Disney... for now. But the important thing is, the Mouse has lost a mouse.

No budget indie horror movie in 3... 2... 1...

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Well... sort of. The first ever design of Mickey Mouse that first appeared in 1928's animated short "Steamboat Willie" has officially, finally, entered the public domain, and can be used, reused and abused by all. Just this design though, more recent designs are still cooyrighted by Disney... for now. But the important thing is, the Mouse has lost a mouse.

No budget indie horror movie in 3... 2... 1...
its relatively try, because the copyright can be extended if you make use of the trademark and make some changes, I will bet you the big lawyers of Disney will found a loophole.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
its relatively try, because the copyright can be extended if you make use of the trademark and make some changes, I will bet you the big lawyers of Disney will found a loophole.
No, that's why people have been talking about this for months.. they've used up all their loopholes

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah if you think Nintendo is bad you clearly have not seen the lengths Disney will go.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nope, this is now public domain (in the US) so it's free to even publish on t-shirts.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They already found and exploited every possible loophole (including the unbeatable one of bribing the politicians to rewrite the cooyright laws). The copyright was supposed to last 24 years, it lasted 95, thanks to the various extensions Disney managed to get. This is really it.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
NAL but from what I've heard, the original cartoon(s) are now public domain but because Disney still uses the character(s), there is still potentially some protection through trademark law, which has been speculation for the increased use of said incarnations of the characters in recent years in various media e.g. the Steamboat Willey intro on films, etc.

So if you want to make a terrible live action version of Steamboat Willey you'll be ok, but sell a stuffed doll and you might end up in Disney Jail next to the guy who painted the characters onto a carnival ride and Bob Chapek.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The reason why copyright is such a mess right now is because of Disney constantly kicking the can out further to keep the Steamboat Mickey design for so long. They’ve actually met a brick wall of their own making with this one.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
NAL but from what I've heard, the original cartoon(s) are now public domain but because Disney still uses the character(s), there is still potentially some protection through trademark law, which has been speculation for the increased use of said incarnations of the characters in recent years in various media e.g. the Steamboat Willey intro on films, etc.

So if you want to make a terrible live action version of Steamboat Willey you'll be ok, but sell a stuffed doll and you might end up in Disney Jail next to the guy who painted the characters onto a carnival ride and Bob Chapek.
Nope, they don't use this old version and therefore it's not something a trademark will protect. If it's public domain a trademark won't help you.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/public-domain/welcome/

Reactions: zfreeman

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, seriously? I figured they would have found legal loopholes to hold on to that.
Post automatically merged:

No Mickey Mouse is not. The old style used in the first years are in public, The style most people and kids know is not public. you need to be real careful if you want to make your own version of mickey
Doesn't matter, though. Though the designs may be still be protected, the MM persona, I would think, is not. Which means, you can create your own new designs based publicly and with attention to the persona of MM and use his name.

Last edited by GeekyGuy,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well it looks like that Winnie the Pooh got horror movie,but Disney who owns Winnie the Pooh is not lawsuiting a creator for this nowadays.
By the way for instance maybe Disney current CEO Bob Iger needs Sensory Deprivation Tank Therapy you know it's like alternative medicine synthetic LSD drug alternative...etc.

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4