Hacking MH4U save damaged (gateway). Is there a fix?

Gaulwa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Playing with Gateway 3DS 3.0.4, under EmuNand GW3D 9.5.0-22E
After a session of play, I pressed home and closed MH4U.
My intent was from what I understand of Gateway, to make sure the save is properly writted to the SD card so I won't lose everything. I do this roughly every 1-2 day.
Except this time the popup 'closing application' stayed on screen for a long time (more than 5 minutes), so I turned off the 3DS, thinking, in the worst case scenario, I'm going to lose everything since yesterday.

Except when I turned back on, the game said my save was not readable and he wanted to format it.
Seems like I lost 180 hours of playing.

My questions are: The save file is 512ko and appears 'normal' at first sight. Is there any way to fix the damaged part?
Or, can I format, then 'copy/paste' part of the data so I can try to recover at least my progression, or my inventor? I know PowerSaves has codes to change the inventory items, and other stuff. I do not have a powersaver, but can I use a Hex editor or something? Shouldn't that be possible?
I can deal with losing my entire inventory... my awesome palicoes and collection of epic charms... but I really don't want to do all the village/hall quests, farm and food again.

Worst case scenario, can I use someone else's save (G1 rank preferably), and use it after changing the hunter's and Palico's name? (I want to play online so I use .3DZ extension with an injected header. Does that modify the save in any way?)

Gaulwa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Thanks for having a look. I need to find SaveDataFiler first, then I'll send you a PM with the save.

Gaulwa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Welp... SaveDataFiler give me the CTR Card broken error.
(even with following every steps and renaming the save)

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Welp... SaveDataFiler give me the CTR Card broken error. (even with following every steps and renaming the save)
You're using an installed CIA-version SaveDataFiler and chose the MH4U-rom from the SELECT-button-screen?

Just like here:

Gaulwa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Err, yes?
I installed the CIA version of SDF, and mounted the rom.
Then with the rom mounted, I started SDF.

Gaulwa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I was under the assumtion Gateway would have some sort of security, like copying the new save in a temp file, then replacing the old one, then deleting it... or something... last time I had a corrupted save on NDS, the game restored a previous save from a few days before.
I don't exactly feels like making backup after each play session (and I suppose I am paying the price now).

So if we assume my save is dead, is anyone playing MH4U around G1 rank and most or every village quests done? Cause I would love to take this save, change the Hunter name with an Hex editor and restart from that.

Askedforthis

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The exact same thing happened to me during Persona Q, thus corrupting my 30 hour save. I've never seen this issue before this release, so maybe it's a bug? If so it's crucial that it is fixed ASAP.

Someone should make an application that simply backs up the saves to the SD card just so that we can backup it seamlessly. It shouldn't be that hard to make.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exact same thing happened to me during Persona Q, thus corrupting my 30 hour save. I've never seen this issue before this release, so maybe it's a bug? If so it's crucial that it is fixed ASAP.

Someone should make an application that simply backs up the saves to the SD card just so that we can backup it seamlessly. It shouldn't be that hard to make.

just use savedatafiler

Gaulwa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
You make a good point Xenon Hacks. I was not aware of SDF existence until now.
I guess I will wait for a MH4U save editor to surface and take someone else's save around my level to restart playing. And I will use SDF for backups from now on.

Usoppu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
After reading this i immediately went and installed savedatafiler to back up my saves. Man, i wouldnt want to lose my mh4u save after commiting so much time. Sorry that it happened to you.

melfice18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok same thing happen to me just now. as in exact the same scenario.. and now I lost my 380+ hours of gameplay.. I don't even know how would I react :(.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: An already modded one with some games