Homebrew mGBA or RetroArch?

Kurt91

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using an older version of mGBA. (As in, I don't remember when I installed it, but I'm pretty sure that it's been updated since then) The games play fine, but the audio is a bit off. It's tolorable, but off-key enough that it's noticeable, especially with headphones. I started using mGBA after realizing that RetroArch tended to crash from time to time, which is rather irritating for longer games like the Pokemon ones I've been playing.

I poked my nose into the RetroArch thread to see what's changed since the last time, mainly interested in PSX emulation. I saw that the crashes in the GBA emulator are supposedly fixed now. I was curious which would be the better approach to take at this point. Should I update mGBA, or try and move everything over to an updated version of the RetroArch emulator? If I do choose to update mGBA, how should I go about that? Do I just download the update and install using FBI, and it automatically detects that I'm trying to update an existing CIA, or do I need to delete what I've got and re-install from scratch? Or, is there some other update method that I need to use?

I'm over halfway through my game, and I'd rather not have to start over at this point. I've been playing through all the games in order, and copying my roster to each game as I go to keep my collection going.(But limiting myself to level-appropriate mons as I go, to keep things fair.) I'm on the last GBA game before I move on the the DS ones, and thought it would be nice to fix the music before I finish up.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I do choose to update mGBA, how should I go about that? Do I just download the update and install using FBI, and it automatically detects that I'm trying to update an existing CIA, or do I need to delete what I've got and re-install from scratch? Or, is there some other update method that I need to use?
Updating homebrew in CIA form is as simple as installing the updated version in FBI. It will automatically install over the old one.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using an older version of mGBA. (As in, I don't remember when I installed it, but I'm pretty sure that it's been updated since then) The games play fine, but the audio is a bit off. It's tolorable, but off-key enough that it's noticeable, especially with headphones. I started using mGBA after realizing that RetroArch tended to crash from time to time, which is rather irritating for longer games like the Pokemon ones I've been playing.

I poked my nose into the RetroArch thread to see what's changed since the last time, mainly interested in PSX emulation. I saw that the crashes in the GBA emulator are supposedly fixed now. I was curious which would be the better approach to take at this point. Should I update mGBA, or try and move everything over to an updated version of the RetroArch emulator? If I do choose to update mGBA, how should I go about that? Do I just download the update and install using FBI, and it automatically detects that I'm trying to update an existing CIA, or do I need to delete what I've got and re-install from scratch? Or, is there some other update method that I need to use?

I'm over halfway through my game, and I'd rather not have to start over at this point. I've been playing through all the games in order, and copying my roster to each game as I go to keep my collection going.(But limiting myself to level-appropriate mons as I go, to keep things fair.) I'm on the last GBA game before I move on the the DS ones, and thought it would be nice to fix the music before I finish up.
Just use RA. Make sure you set frame delay to 1.

Reactions: Itzumi

drickmel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally Retroarch all the time if Retroarch is one of the choices. I cannot not use Retroarch anymore when emulating lol. Can't live without that sweet savestates and real-time rewinds. And features like shaders and runahead for other stronger devices.

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Retroarch now that @justinweiss fixed the Dynarec crashes. On a New 3DS, it runs rock solid 60FPS, even with rewind enabled. There’s no comparison. I love GBARunner2 and hope that @Gericom continues his wizardry, as that will one day be a superior solution. Right now, however, Retroarch is the best way to play GBA games on a New 3DS.

Kurt91

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so general opinion seems to be to switch to RetroArch, with the frame-skip feature set to 1. How's the audio sound on a New 3DS with that setup?

By the way, regarding GBARunner and TWiLightMenu, isn't that the setup where you use the 3DS's native GBA support? I suppose compatibility would be best since it uses Nintendo's own setup, but wouldn't it have less features than an emulator? Also, isn't it a bit of a process for adding more games later, having to set it up for each game? To be honest, I'm not very familiar with that setup and have been sticking with emulators for simplicity's sake. The only similar thing I've done is getting the native DS support working and set up ahead of time for the next few Pokemon generations in line. Even then, it seems awfully slow to load it, unless it's something like it takes longer for the first run of each game.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so general opinion seems to be to switch to RetroArch, with the frame-skip feature set to 1. How's the audio sound on a New 3DS with that setup?

By the way, regarding GBARunner and TWiLightMenu, isn't that the setup where you use the 3DS's native GBA support? I suppose compatibility would be best since it uses Nintendo's own setup, but wouldn't it have less features than an emulator? Also, isn't it a bit of a process for adding more games later, having to set it up for each game? To be honest, I'm not very familiar with that setup and have been sticking with emulators for simplicity's sake. The only similar thing I've done is getting the native DS support working and set up ahead of time for the next few Pokemon generations in line. Even then, it seems awfully slow to load it, unless it's something like it takes longer for the first run of each game.
RetroArch uses DSP so the audio is fine. Also I said frame delay (go to video then sync settings) set to 1. It's to fix the screen tearing. GBARunner2 is a hypervisor running in DSi mode. It doesn't use the native AGB_FIRM.

theoldmototoad50

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3DS has its own GBA mode (AGB_FIRM) where it can play GBA games with ~perfect hardware accuracy.

You can make Game Boy Advance Virtual Console injections with .GBA roms → .CIA with that NSUI program. These can then be installed onto HOME Menu.
Is that like what Nintendo used for Virtual Console titles?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.